• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern If the DS Zelda Games Were Done Like Super Mario 64 DS

geek4887

The Unknown
I just saw Super Mario 64 DS reviews on the internet, and it's gameplay intrigued me. The DS system was capable of all THIS, yet they never tried to implement it on the Zelda games. Instead, they really focused on its touchscreen uses. In my opinion, they could've made Phantom Hourglass the way it is, but it could've changed Spirit Tracks to make its gameplay similar to Super Mario 64DS. If Nintendo did it that way, do you think that the DS games would be less disappointing than the majority say they are (that said, I LOVE the DS Zeldas)?

Nah

Two things:

1. No matter what the critics say, Super Mario 64 DS is phenomenal and controls great!
2. The control pad wouldn't have worked to well with DS Zelda games unless they were made like Ocarina of Time 3D was recently and swiping the stylus to slash and deploy your weapons just felt more natural.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Honestly, it seems more about the controls of the game itself. Super Mario 64 had some relatively simple controls, only needing buttons for jumping, running, and punching. The Zelda titles, however, not so much. You need multiple inventory slots (however, the DS Zeldas make up for this by making it quick and easy to swap out weapons), you need more dedicated controls to do the maneuvers required, so on and so forth.

Besides, having a top-down game for portable sort of adds on to tradition, as in all of the Gameboy, Color, and Advance titles, which, just like the DS games, are top-down except for a few select scenes, such as boss battles.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think the DS Zeldas would've been a lot better with D-Pad controls. I don't know of any actions that are too complex to require the stylus besides the Boomerang, and that is about it. Moving and slashing could've been so much simpler with d-pad controls, that is what I believe.

TheMinish

Hero of the Skies
I think they wanted to be kinda intuitive with the hardware and create a different kind of experience, which they did.

KnowItAllBird

Hero of Time
No!!! The DS games, moreso than any of the other handhelds, truly addicted me. I always look forward to playing PH or ST when I'm doing a playthrough. I don't go much for the transportation overworld, but the dungeons in those games just might be my favorites in the series.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Nintendo could have done what they did for OoT's 3DS Port and put the inventory on the bottom screen while having buttons and the D-Pad for navigation and control, but nooooo. They had to make the touchscreen controls that I hate with a passion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom