• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If Religion Did Not Exist?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Well, even if religion was nonexistant, it wouldn't make God any less real. He'd still exist, but the general peoples would be entirely unaware. Religion is simply a following of a higher power. Without religion, there would be no following, but there would be a diety. End of story.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
You are literally basing your opinion on what life would be like without religion on a fiction cartoon with a reoccurring character called "Man Bear Pig".

Very scientific of you.
And you're using a cop-out. You really think that the human race wouldn't be at war over ideals just because religion didn't exist? Humans fight over the most trivial things every day. All it takes is an extremist to start a fight that's massive, i.e. a war, and those have been started countless times without religion being in the center of it, sometimes even without a cause.

South Park has nothing to do with this "opinion" of mine. All I did was use it as a reference. You're also cutting the series short. It makes excellent points about real world events and values, granted in a comical way. Like so:

(Obvious profanity ahead)
[video=youtube;dsmyzC4AkFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsmyzC4AkFQ[/video]

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
You really think that the human race wouldn't be at war over ideals just because religion didn't exist? Humans fight over the most trivial things every day. All it takes is an extremist to start a fight that's massive, i.e. a war, and those have been started countless times without religion being in the center of it, sometimes even without a cause.
Literally never said that.

South Park has nothing to do with this "opinion" of mine. All I did was use it as a reference. You're also cutting the series short. It makes excellent points about real world events and values, granted in a comical way. Like so:
I love South Park, seen every episode.

i have actually seen south park as well and i agree it has nothing to do with god. i dont know if there is a god or not because sometimes i pray for stuff like wanting my brother not to come home because he is dumb and he really wont come home and it is relly weird because one time he didnt come home he was actully at a river fishing when he wasnt even alloweed to fish there but GET THIS my brother has never fishing in his life so it is relly weird. if god is real then we are all going to go to the evil place down below becuse everyone is bad sometimes and we watch tv and that is supposed to be evil but i dont think it is so i hope there is no god bujt i hope we get to live in a place like heaven becasue that would be cool..................................................................................................................................................if there were no god believers then we migt not wear clothes

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
i have actually seen south park as well and i agree it has nothing to do with god. i dont know if there is a god or not because sometimes i pray for stuff like wanting my brother not to come home because he is dumb and he really wont come home and it is relly weird because one time he didnt come home he was actully at a river fishing when he wasnt even alloweed to fish there but GET THIS my brother has never fishing in his life so it is relly weird. if god is real then we are all going to go to the evil place down below becuse everyone is bad sometimes and we watch tv and that is supposed to be evil but i dont think it is so i hope there is no god bujt i hope we get to live in a place like heaven becasue that would be cool..................................................................................................................................................if there were no god believers then we migt not wear clothes
Hah hah! This guy is so adorable!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
What is an atheism belief?
There are none. Atheism is, specifically, a lack of beliefs within the subject of religion. Outside of religion though, Atheists, like any other group will have their differences in beliefs, such as how the world was created.

I honestly don't think anyone cares though. I think it's just a matter of justifying intolerable actions and giving it the "God Seal of Approval" makes it all the easier. But in many cases it's not needed ("Manifest Destiny"), but it helps.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Forum Volunteer
You really think that the human race wouldn't be at war over ideals just because religion didn't exist? Humans fight over the most trivial things every day. All it takes is an extremist to start a fight that's massive, i.e. a war, and those have been started countless times without religion being in the center of it, sometimes even without a cause.
Nobody's saying that war would cease existing. There are always more reasons people make up to kill each other, but petty ideological wars would never have existed (discounting the proxy wars during the Cold War, which were more motivated by fear rather than hate, but that's for another thread).

PS: I don't exactly see an all-out war erupting over a dispute on whether String Theory or Quantum Loop Gravity is the one true theory.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Terminus said:
PS: I don't exactly see an all-out war erupting over a dispute on whether String Theory or Quantum Loop Gravity is the one true theory.
[video=youtube;FMSmJCKaaC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSmJCKaaC0[/video]

What makes this so funny is that such a conflict would never, ever happen.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
With no God, neither the world nor time would exist at all. We'd never exist to find out about it.
The thread isn't about speaking if "God did not exist", its "if religion did not exist".

If religion didn't exist, I feel there would be less wars and capitalism. Religion brought about these new forms of proxy wars, and in a matter of speaking...war is certainly a business that caters to those who want to to keep their power and money stocked up and ever-increasing. I don't know if this is actual fact or has been studied, but I believe religion has always been the center of war. I learned a lot about this when I took my european history class in school. Through the tyrannical powers of the church, other lands were quickly assimilated into war because the church felt that other nations had to have the same belief. These wars held us back from further advancing our society, but it did bring about forms of common sense ideology. Although I don't feel like explaining right now because I forget the names of those ideologists lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom