• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern If Nintendo Delayed Zelda U to Their Next Console...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Purely hypothetical question before anyone says "BUT THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!!!11", but it was an interesting thread on NeoGAF that spurred on some discussion so I thought I'd bring it over here.

Let's set the story.

So the Wii U isn't doing so well right now. Let's say that it just continually gets worse and Nintendo gear up to release a brand new platform sometime around 2016 to be more competitive and prepares to dump the Wii U. It'll be close to the PS4/XB1 in terms of power and functionality, lots of new shiny bits and baubles, big marketing push when it's going to release, and the next Zelda would be a release title for this platform utilising the brand new hardware to the absolute max and would benefit from it too. Now let's say that it isn't backwards compatible, the console that is, and there is no Wii U version, like there was with TP across the Wii and Gamecube. No gamepad functionality, it's an exclusive to this brand new platform. And for the sake of the question, we'll say that it's not any worse a game because development got shifted over. It's a perfect, pristeen, huge console Zelda game! But it ain't on Wii U.

How would you react if this happened? :P

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Well it would certainly make a lot of people quite angry, especially since, as Mangachick said, many people purchased a WiiU solely for games like ZeldaU. That being said, it's very unlikely, since we have Smash for WiiU and Mario Kart 8, both of which are system-sellers in their own right.

I would be kind of ticked off because we already wait long enough for new Zelda games (for good reason though. I would rather wait for a long time and get an amazing Zelda, but I'm not sure if I would be able to wait that long. It would just become Metroid status) and I'm not sure how much I'd be able to wait for a new Zelda.

By Metroid Status I mean, the wait time would be forever.

I've kind of been having this thought process, lately. Twilight Princess was the game that started with games being near the end of a console's life span. I know it was released FIRST for the Wii, but it was developed for GC (and it shows in the gameplay). Then Skyward Sword perpetuated it, being released a year before the release of the Wii U. I mean, one of the things I've heard people saying about Wii U (and I agree) is, "Well, great, it's got Pikmin 3, a good Mario game, and Donkey Kong Country Returns: TF. But what else does it have for hardcore gamers?" I mean, despite what some people think, Zelda is a "hardcore" franchise, and appeals to the hardcore demographic. Had Skyward Sword been delayed and put as a release title for Wii U (except not a lazy port like TP), I promise the Wii U would have sold WAY better on release. My roommate and I both bought a Wii for the sake of buying Twilight Princess alone, and I know we weren't the only ones.

At the same time, I definitely see the logic of being upset about Zelda U getting delayed, and that is the reason I don't think Nintendo's going to do it. But everyone pretty much agrees that they need to get some good games on Wii U, or a future console, or else they're in some deep trouble.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I'd be pissed and so would other people. We'd come together and riot for no reason (like all the idiots in the Stanley Cup Riot).

Or I'll just wait when it comes to the PS4.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'd probably kick a *****.

In all seriousness, I'd be slightly confused and annoyed. Well not annoyed per se, if the console was being released soon then I'd be happy, but if we're talking the next Zelda game being released in 3-4 years minimum then damn right I'd be annoyed as it would be a 7 year gap between their last main release.

On the topic of a new console though, I do expect Nintendo to invest in new hardware in the near future. Maybe we might see them bring out a new console designed to really compete with the PS4 and Xbox One as at the moment the Wii U isn't a match up.

Last edited:

Sheik

:the:
I'D SLAM MY HEAD INTO A BRICK WALL

---

Anyways, this is highly unlikely, because Aunoma's been working on this for three years-ish now, solely for the Wii U. A sudden hardware change would be a big bump in his path, so I'm 99% sure Zelda U will stay on Wii U, no matter what. And, like JJ said, the Wii U's lifespan is far from over. The Wii U isn't even 2 years old yet—not even a year and a half! If this happened, I'd be very angry at Nintendo for taking it to such extremes.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Well since I haven't gotten a Wii U yet, and they promise not to hastily convert it like they did TP, I'd be a-okay with this scenario.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I have two reasons for wanting a WiiU, Smash and Zelda. If Zelda is delayed, well...

I don't own nor want a 3DS or WWHD so its been a while since I played a new Zelda. Usually I'm willing to wait for the next Zelda but since I missed out on the last two, I'm growing rather impatient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom