• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If new game releases ended, would you be content w/ what you have?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Say hypothetically for whatever astronomical reasons, new video games stopped coming out tomorrow. Like if a video game-hating coronal mass ejection came from the sun and hit Earth and wiped all data for new games currently in production, do you think you'd be fine with the games you currently own?

That's basically the root of this question, are the games that you own right now enough for you that you would be fine to never obtain a new release again?

Last edited:
Honestly, yes. I sometimes think about this and in some ways I feel I may even prefer it as a consumer, because it's just getting to a point that games are impossible to keep up with anymore. So many deserving games remain overlooked by myself and I'm sure a lot of others because there's a deluge of new releases all the time with more and more developers every year. But very few of those new releases actually ending up being super memorable for me so as a mental exercise I feel I would cope with the hypothetical cessation of new releases rather well.

A big reason I can't ever really address my gaming backlog is because new things keep coming out, and in fear of spoilers, I gotta go tackle those new releases first. It'd give me time to re/discover games I've shelved and backlogged as well as look for other existing games that I now have a means to play that I didn't before. And then I'll curl up with my small collection of beloved titles that never got a chance to get a sequel before this scenario set in, in the most optimistic light of realizing that modern sequels to games often ruin good series with stupid canon, context or other story stuff.

I'd say for the scenario it'd make more sense to say that the games just would no longer get any more updates or chapters or whatever they do for new maps and content in League of Legends. Though realistically servers would be down (with the circumstance provided?) but since the question is addressing more that the games that are currently released still exist in a working state, would you be okay with those kinds of games in their current state for the rest of time, or something.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
so the thing is I still have a ton of games that I haven't played/beaten yet
I also happen to be lucky enough to own almost every FromSoftware game, some of the most replayable (non-roguelike) games ever made
so while eventually I would run out of games to play, I would probably be pretty old?

If we included league of legends, then I would honestly never run out of games to play. Just league alone could be played for the entirety of someone's life. It being patchless would make me a lot more enthusiastic about learning deeper interactions in the game as well because they wouldn't be patched out next week

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
man, what a bummer that would be.

the games I own have high replay value (for the most part), so in that aspect I’d have plenty of games to cycle through without a problem. but I’d be super bummed to not be able to experience any new games in any of my favorite series. that’d be a hard reality to accept.

if you could still buy games you didn’t own, but have already been released, that would help the situation a bit. but it’d still be a definite negative for me overall.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
If you’re still allowed to uninstall and redownload games I’d be fine if I never got to buy a new game ever again. I have more than enough games on just my Xbox to last me a lifetime

However if you can’t redownload them I’d be screwed because most of my library is digital.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Assuming that already-released games are fair game, yeah, I'd never run out of things to play. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd still have enough to play/replay, tbh.

If an online game like FFXIV is included, even more so.

The excitement of looking forward to new releases would be gone, but there'd be plenty of games to experience all the same.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think I could be content, I have games I already like replaying over and over. I also have a backlog of games I've yet to get to that has enough entertainment to last me probably many years. I would be sad of course that there will be no more new games for the franchises I love, but I would be fine with what I have.

Well, I'm currently waiting with eager anticipation for the release of A Plague Tale: Requiem, so I feel that if new game releases suddenly ended, I would eventually become bored with what I have even if I do replay the games I do own.

Yes. There are way too many games in my backlog. Sadly, my gaming habits nowadays are all messed up. If there's a game in a franchise that I really like, I'll focus on it for a few weeks. That's what I did with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey. But most games I only play for 2 to 3 hours and then put into the "return to eventually" pile. Then, there are a few games that I've owned for years and have yet to open. Yikes. I estimate I have about 200 games that I own that I haven't beaten yet. I've been trying to knock them out, but some games take longer than others and some require a lot of thought during sessions. Pushmo is an example in the latter category. I've been trying to finally beat it, but I only play 2 to 3 puzzles at a time because they can be extremely difficult, especially this late into the game, and the mental effort is taxing.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
While I'm usually behind on game releases and have a lot I still have yet to play, no I would not be content with no more game releases. Especially not today.

There's so much I'm in anticipation for that would surely piss me off if they just never released. We're in the middle of a survival horror renaissance, so many classic games are receiving amazing remakes, and there's just way too many video game franchises with so much untapped potential and incomplete stories.

I have a pretty obsessive personality and when things are left unanswered, unfinished, and mysterious it bugs the hell out of me. So I can't imagine I'd ever be content unless some way somehow the industry was prepared for such an event and was able to wrap everything up.

Even then, there's still so much we haven't seen in gaming that could one day surprise us, so closing the door on all that potential would still suck.

While I'm usually behind on game releases and have a lot I still have yet to play, no I would not be content with no more game releases. Especially not today.

There's so much I'm in anticipation for that would surely piss me off if they just never released. We're in the middle of a survival horror renaissance, so many classic games are receiving amazing remakes, and there's just way too many video game franchises with so much untapped potential and incomplete stories.

I have a pretty obsessive personality and when things are left unanswered, unfinished, and mysterious it bugs the hell out of me. So I can't imagine I'd ever be content unless some way somehow the industry was prepared for such an event and was able to wrap everything up.

Even then, there's still so much we haven't seen in gaming that could one day surprise us, so closing the door on all that potential would still suck.

Yeah, I'm excited to play the remake for Resident Evil 4 since the original is so clunky.

I think if video game releases were to stop, I'd be okay with it on the condition that they only stopped unannounced games. Like, they finished development on games that have already been announced, and then that's it, no more game announcements to follow or new games starting development. This answer maybe isn't exactly in the spirit of the question, but I do feel like it'd be the most ideal way to stop releasing video games if that became a necessity.
I'm sure realistically I have enough games to keep me content because I do not game much anyway, but I feel like for a lot of people seeing games they've been getting hyped for just be canceled would suck regardless of whether or not they already had enough to play and I certainly know I have at least one or two releases that I've been following and would be massively disappointed to not see happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom