• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ideas/implementations for the Forum

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think some minor tweaking could work. The PD header on the forum needs to be fixed. Wyatt, if you'd like to, you can put some like Pokeballs or something instead of the current LoZ emblem icons. Not sure how David setup this forum theme to begin with, but it draws images from the same folder as the Zelda Dungeon theme. If you can figure that out, it's a quick change.

In terms of the width. I'd live it as such. Purpose of the ZD, DD, and PD themes, were to make a smooth transition from site/forum. Exact same header. The sites are on a fix width for the header. Some sections such as the Wikis are full width, but the headers remain the same.

More importantly thought, I'm now thinking that a new 'default' theme is probably the best way to go. The ZD, PD, and DD themes are nice, but I think we should find/adjust a brand new theme and eventually use it as our standard theme. I like the ZD theme, but the colors of the ZD site,make the forum theme a bit bland. I think its generic look and bright colors are a turn off for viewers. I think if we had a more attractive main default theme, we can gain more interest from random viewers that come to the forum.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
More importantly thought, I'm now thinking that a new 'default' theme is probably the best way to go. The ZD, PD, and DD themes are nice, but I think we should find/adjust a brand new theme and eventually use it as our standard theme. I like the ZD theme, but the colors of the ZD site,make the forum theme a bit bland. I think its generic look and bright colors are a turn off for viewers. I think if we had a more attractive main default theme, we can gain more interest from random viewers that come to the forum.

This is something that's up to the development team, of course, but I know that after finding out the darker themes existed, I immediately stopped using ZD's default layout. The reason being that its color scheme is too white all around, as you mentioned, therefore a darker standard layout would most likely be more welcoming and even alluring to passersby. Not to mention current site-goers as well.

I think some minor tweaking could work. The PD header on the forum needs to be fixed. Wyatt, if you'd like to, you can put some like Pokeballs or something instead of the current LoZ emblem icons. Not sure how David setup this forum theme to begin with, but it draws images from the same folder as the Zelda Dungeon theme. If you can figure that out, it's a quick change.

In terms of the width. I'd live it as such. Purpose of the ZD, DD, and PD themes, were to make a smooth transition from site/forum. Exact same header. The sites are on a fix width for the header. Some sections such as the Wikis are full width, but the headers remain the same.

Ah, well... Seeing as you're aiming to give the default theme a visual overhaul, might a little 'ole wolf like myself suggest a theme that incorporates elements from each of the franchises represented on the site?

Sounds a tad difficult to pull off, given the diversity, but I am sure the design team (whoever they are) can put their heads together and come up with something extravagant. However, I look forward to whatever's in store. I just hope that the hypothetical new theme will be something that not only looks and functions great, but makes sense as well...

This is something that's up to the development team, of course, but I know that after finding out the darker themes existed, I immediately stopped using ZD's default layout. The reason being that its color scheme is too white all around, as you mentioned, therefore a darker standard layout would most likely be more welcoming and even alluring to passersby. Not to mention current site-goers as well.

Agreed. However, I deem it wise on their part to strike a balance between the two hues. Perhaps throwing in various shades of grey and blues could work for the overall default theme, while a set of similar, yet distinct colors could match each game (and Gengame)'s respective banner at the top of the forum page. (Exp. Yellow, red, blue for Pokemon | Navy Blue, Black, Red, for Darksiders | Blah Blah Blah for Zelda...)

Hydrogen said:
Not sure how David setup this forum theme to begin with, but it draws images from the same folder as the Zelda Dungeon theme. If you can figure that out, it's a quick change.

I have a feeling he probably made the Zelda Dungeon forum theme be a parent theme to the Pokémon Dungeon theme, and I think that can be changed in theme manager just by editing the theme's properties.

Indium said:
I proposed an awards system for the Arcade plus tournaments a while ago. The problem is getting anyone else in on it. I never got any feedback on that and it was months ago.

I think some of the current arcade games wouldn't handle tournaments very well, while others would probably be much more enjoyable. I think if we considered adding a bigger variety of games to it, it might pique the interest of participants. To be honest, I only really ever play 3 or 4 out of all the arcade games--though it's been a little while since I've done so.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Just something little that's been bugging me: Change the lettering on the "Zelda 3DS" forum from "Talk about the next, currently unannounced Legend of Zelda title for the Nintendo 3DS." to something that indicates that it is, in fact, announced.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I would REALLY appreciate it if the character limit for usertitles was raised, if even by just one. I just tried THREE new usertitles I wanted to use, and all of them ran out of space one letter short. If it's at all possible, I would love if this could happen.

To reiterate what Djinn has said many times, a lot of the themes have a distinctly unfinished appearance. In particular, ZD Brown. Which still has the default Xs from when the theme was first imported. I made these recently as a replacement for the vanilla icons:

LL9EAbT.png

xmvJ419.png

I think adding these icons would give the theme a more polished/finished look.

Last edited:
To reiterate what Djinn has said many times, a lot of the themes have a distinctly unfinished appearance. In particular, ZD Brown. Which still has the default Xs from when the theme was first imported. I made these recently as a replacement for the vanilla icons:

LL9EAbT.png

xmvJ419.png

I think adding these icons would give the theme a more polished/finished look.

I'd like to add that I think the PD theme should be changed so that the symbols are actually pokemon related. I could design them if asked but I've only got Gimp, not Photoshop.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Thanks Kitsu. I think the main reason things like this don't get done is because nobody's willing to actually create the icons. I made that change to the brown theme, though I had to crop the icons a bit (which unfortunately makes the new posts one a bit awkward). However, I'd really prefer to replace the entire icon set at once. As you can see, the key at the bottom of forumhome is now incorrect, and there are other specialized icons to account for. Threads also have their own icons which come with several combinations of lock, hot, etc. icons. There are over 100 icons to account for, though I could probably compile a list of about 20 that need to be changed to maintain a consistent theme. I didn't change the pokemon icons yet because I don't want an awkward combination of pokemon and zelda icons, which is worse than a combination of zelda and generic icons. If you or anyone is willing to create a full set of correctly-sized icons, I'd be happy to move forward with this project.

If you or anyone is willing to create a full set of correctly-sized icons, I'd be happy to move forward with this project.

Are you referring to me or Kitsu here? If you are referring to me about the Pokemon icons, I'm happy to have a go at making them for you. It might take a while to make 20 then follow it up with the other 80, but if I have a good list of what you want I'll probably be able to do it. Kitsu's already made a pretty good start, although I may mess around with other ideas and see if I can get it to work then you'll have a choice.

Thanks Kitsu. I think the main reason things like this don't get done is because nobody's willing to actually create the icons. I made that change to the brown theme, though I had to crop the icons a bit (which unfortunately makes the new posts one a bit awkward). However, I'd really prefer to replace the entire icon set at once. As you can see, the key at the bottom of forumhome is now incorrect, and there are other specialized icons to account for. Threads also have their own icons which come with several combinations of lock, hot, etc. icons. There are over 100 icons to account for, though I could probably compile a list of about 20 that need to be changed to maintain a consistent theme. I didn't change the pokemon icons yet because I don't want an awkward combination of pokemon and zelda icons, which is worse than a combination of zelda and generic icons. If you or anyone is willing to create a full set of correctly-sized icons, I'd be happy to move forward with this project.

Yeah, there's a lot of icons that still need to be made, especially for the PD theme. The PD icons I posted just to demonstrate a possible design (hence the "potential designs" bit), and get feedback. So I didn't really intend for them to be changed right away. As far as replacing the entire icon set as once, I agree, that would be best. As Durion said, a list of the major icons that need to be changed would be helpful. I know a few are basically scaled versions of the same icon (e.g., the icons when you click "New Posts"), so that should be easy, but replacing the others shouldn't be too difficult. At any rate, thanks for taking the suggestion for ZD-Brown.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Maybe there should be a set of members who are dedicated to doing things such as this. Kind of like a creative team, who take suggestions into account and make them a reality. Then of course the ideas will eventually get implemented when ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom