• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ideas for a New Metroid Game

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
The Metroid series is among my favorites in gaming, third only to Zelda and Pokemon. I find the gameplay and narrative, as well as its overarching story and mythology, to be extremely fascinating, and the space-age setting is really inspiring.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the series is taking a bit of an extended break for the moment, and that saddens me. Having just replayed Fusion for the :squishy:'th time, I got to thinking about where I would want the series to go from here.

If they want to utilize more familiar ground, I would want either a console game done in the same manner as the Prime games (with the first-person perspective and heavy focus on exploration) or a 3DS game done as a direct sequel to Fusion (continuing with the heavy focus on narrative, as well as extremely challenging gameplay [some of the bosses were ludicrous, as well as the stunts you had to pull to get some of the power-ups]).

However, if they were to evolve the series and expand it into new territory, I would want a game (console or handheld, it doesn't matter) where the focus is on actually hunting down bounty, like a BOUNTY HUNTER should. It could be like Prime 3, with several worlds you had to explore in order to track down your bounty. And it wouldn't always have to be one really strong outlaw; you could take on missions where you had to hunt down all of a certain species a la Metroid 2.

What do you guys think?

Salem

SICK
It has to be non-linear for one thing.

Second, ignore that Other M happened, or at least used it as a case study for NOT to do in a Metroid game. :P

As for the perspective if it's third-person or first-person, I dunno, I liked the Prime games, but maybe because I played so many FPSs lately I got sick of them, but I want it to be in the third person view, or least make it optional.

Mido

Version 1
First off, I should mention that I'm a pretty casual fan to the series, as I missed out on the Prime saga back in the day, and I only played Super Metriod.

Still, from what I know, I like that Bounty Hunter emphasis that you mention, Sir Quaffler, as I think it really brings out Samus's job so to say. I also just happen to like Bounty Hunter-esque mission styles, as in hunting down targets. As for gameplay, it seems that first person may work best with the whole framework that you set, as you already said. Going from planet to planet also gives me a Ratchet and Clank vibe, and the focus on exploration would work well!

This makes me think about another series of an extended break variety: Star Fox. :cry:

Back to the topic at hand, I overall like the idea.!

Cfrock

Keep it strong
However, if they were to evolve the series and expand it into new territory, I would want a game (console or handheld, it doesn't matter) where the focus is on actually hunting down bounty, like a BOUNTY HUNTER should.

I agree that this would be a good direction for the franchise to go. When Other M was on its way and we were told that it would explore Samus as a character I was quite pleased. However, the game did no such thing, instead just telling an entirely redundant story which was a Frankenstein's monster of Metroid, Metroid II, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion. The game achieved three things: 1) It plundered Super Metroid of just about everything for no reason other than to stroke Sakamoto's ego; 2) It ruined the story of Metroid Fusion by showing Samus and Adam's relationship to be completely different, built on blind submission instead of mutual rejection of authority; 3) It ruined Samus as a character utterly.

It's a no-brainer to me that a story which explores Samus as a character should focus on the events which saw her leave the Galactic Federation's military and set herself up as a bounty hunter. That point in her life allows a competent writer to explore her issues with, and rejection of, authority; it allows a competent writer to explore her relationship with Adam, crucially including the event alluded to in Metroid Fusion that saw Adam make a significant sacrifice for Samus; it allows a competent writer to explore her as a person, delving into her reasons for going solo and whatever philosophy guides her through her life.

Other M went about everything in the wrong way, even turning Adam's moment of sacrifice into an uncharacteristicly stupid, not to mention entirely pointless, suicide which was totally avoidable and barely involved Samus at all. The story had no lasting resonance and no links to the rest of the franchise, well, no links besides forced and out-of-place references and borrowed content. It was also saturated with an overly obvious maternal sub-text which made no sense at all in the given plot. It would have made sense if the game's plot involved Samus trying to save metroids from extinction following the events of Super Metroid, but it didn't. Other M was a mess that had no idea of what it was trying to do.

I'm with Sroa Link on the point that Other M should be disregarded in future, retconned out of existence. It should be 'replaced', so to speak, by a game that focuses on the period when Samus became a bounty hunter. It should have us hunt a bounty, with gameplay that leaves us in a world (or a few) alone, exploring and discovering at our own pace, finding clues, tracking a target. It'd bring back the classic Metroid gameplay which was entirely absent in Other M while being able to develop Samus as a character in a way which makes her stronger, not weaker. Whether such a game was 3D or 2D, on the Wii U or 3DS, it wouldn't matter to me. Just as long as the series does continue, and does so without Yoshio Sakamoto, I will be happy.

Very interesting thread, Quaffler. Being a very dedicated Metroid fan (I've beaten every game multiple times, including Hunters), I would absolutely love for the series to make a big comeback. No, Other M wasn't a series killer that other franchises have had to go through. It was a playable game that tried a new direction, was met with very mixed reviews, and sold a decent amount with over a million copies (we have to keep in mind that Metroid isn't really a high selling series to begin with - after a quick Google search, Other M sold about 1.25 million units, which, while lower than expectations, didn't make it a sales "bomb"). But Other M is a formula that is best left alone for a while.

What I mean by that is the more "traditional linear" gameplay that it had. If you think Other M was the first game to employ that, I have to point you towards Fusion as the first example of it, with its continuation even present in Prime 3: Corruption. I was reminded so much of Fusion the entire time I played through Other M, right down to the exploration structure and the heavier focus on narrative. It's an okay style that isn't bad by any means; it's just one that's probably run its course and needs to be put down for a while. That's my first idea for the next Metroid game(s) - go back to the other two gameplay styles we've established, and stop it with the Fusion/Other M type.

I think, for the Wii U, a game right in the vein of Metroid Prime is the best option. Metroid Prime is one of the greatest games of all time, at least that's what its legacy has been. I won't go into details why Metroid Prime was so good, because that would take way too long. A return to the first person perspective of the Prime titles is the best way to leave the Fusion/Other M formula behind, as long as it's designed the same way Metroid Prime was. I really like Corruption, but I don't think, for a gameplay perspective, that's the way to go. I think keeping a story aspect on par with Corruption would be fine - more involving than Prime and Echoes, not as forcibly driven as Other M, and still greatly enhanced by the multiple data logs you can scan at your choice. For the structure of the world(s), a return to Prime is greatly needed in order for the series to truly get back on track quality-wise. I don't think Retro should be employed for this, and they've run their course with first-person Metroid. I can say, however, that Prime should be the primary example of ANYONE who creates the next first person Metroid game.

That still leaves the classic Metroid formula though, which I've been dying for on 3DS since the system was released. Zero Mission is the best handheld Metroid to me, since I feel like it captured the spirit of Super Metroid more than Return of Samus or Fusion did. I would actually prefer a vamped up remake of Super Metroid for the 3DS, with everything exactly the same except the visuals. But at the same time, I really feel like handheld Metroid needs a comeback, as the last game was..... Hunters. Hunters is my least favorite game in the series, and I don't think another first person experiment with the 3DS is the right thing to do. It's really just kind of simple - look at Zero Mission, and work from there.

Story-wise, it's time to go forward. I don't know how exactly, but it's definitely possible. The last two games in the series not a part of the Prime interquel, Fusion and Other M, were very adamant about exposing just how corrupt the Federation truly is - there's no way that there isn't more bioweapon production facilities somewhere in the galaxy, and there's no way the Pirates aren't going to eventually discover and take over them. It would be great to pick it up from there.

Last edited:
Okay, here's something to note about Other M. 90% of what went wrong was Yoshi Sakamoto's fault. For example, it was him who went with the actors chosen to do work voices despite not being able to speak English himself.
(The actress who played Samus is actually a very lively and friendly girl. While actors who could do a wide range is good, her attempts to come off as a woman going to PTSD comes off as bored, in fact Jennifer Hale actually offered to voice Samus. It's not that she's bad, it's just she's very underwhelming when Samus monologues... which is 80% of her dialogue)
As such, instead of ignoring the events and problems of Other M, I propose that the next Metroid game should learn from them. For example, I actually like the way the game played, aside from the first person moments that involved facing the Wii remote at the game (that was another thing Sakamoto is responsible for despite Team Ninja wanting to use the nunchuk) Exploring Samus as a character isn't something I'm against and I'm one to say Other M had good ideas but bad execution mixed with bad ideas. If one is to explore her as a character, they must avoid flashbacks unless it's really needed and have Samus express actual emotion when doing so. Just because it's in her head, doesn't mean she shouldn't have emotion. Another thing I think Other M needed to fix is the "Deleter" concept. Not only does it stop being relevant, it doesn't help that the only characters Samus truly reacts with are Adam and Anthony. Even the bounty hunters in Prime 3 got to be better known.
Really, the next game needs to improve at where Other M failed. Giving Samus a voice with more emotions when she monolgues, cut back on flashbacks and actually get to know the people she encounters in-game. If they want to show how Samus feels about certain people, actually show it, have them actually talk. (Think how Pit speaks with Palutena, Viridi and the rest in Kid Icarus Uprising) And of course, none of that switch to first-person view in the middle of action.

As for where in its timeline. I'd suggest after Fusion, to focus more on the corruption of the Federation.

It can work well in the series, considering it's one of Nintendo's more mature franchises. Let's give her a dramatic death scene where she recounts her life and stuff.

Killing off the main character of such a long standing video game franchise probably wouldn't be the best thing in any circumstance.... Especially since there's really no one else in the Metroid universe that can feasibly take over for her. In other game franchises, like Final Fantasy, killing off main characters is fine because there's plenty more than can take up the story and make the narrative go from there. Unless they were going to intentionally end the series, and for some reason wanted everyone to hate them for it, I don't see Samus ever truly dying. The universe just isn't expansive enough at this time to justify it if the series is going to continue.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'd want to have Samus travel to more locations and encounter more NPC's. The world of Metroid is virtually unkown. I feel like it could take place in an interesting universe, one which fans could get into. I mean I'd like see more monsters, races, and maybe a thing or two about the Federation. I know Nintendo doesn't like it, but some world-building would be brilliant for the Metroid series.

Gameplay-wise, I'm open to all options. Don't shoot me till I'm done saying this fanboys, but I actually think the gameplay style from Other M has potential. The combat is fun and interesting. I also love the epic shot of finishing off an enemy. I really think Samus's items and movement can be well-coordinated on the Wii U's twin-stick controls.

Just imaigne controlling Samus is 3rd person again. The camera in over-the-shoulder format. Now imagine looking at Samus as she enters the dark and eery depths of some unexplored planet. You see mysterious creatures and odd structures. You can scan and aim at each object using devices in Samus's arm that controlled with the control stick. You make your way through piles of dead creatures as creepy music plays in the background. Then the floor collapses! Samus finds herself clinging to Kraid's tail as the massive monster wades in a pool of lava. Samus has to scale his spiky body while holding flying monsters with her laser cannon. The going is difficult, and the spikes make it hard to navigate. She has jump and wall-jump her way up the the head, where delivers a Super Missile to Kraid's head, and it explodes as Samus jumps off to a nearby ledge. Now that is what I'd want from a new Metroid.

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with prime, but really think would be more spectacular and appealing in a 3rd-person perspective where you can really see what is going on, and Kraid's size and scary appearance leave an impression on the player, making the ultimate victory all the more satisfying. What do you think?

Hanyou

didn't build that
I'd like another game in the style of Prime, which means a Super Metroid-like structure with 3D, first-person gameplay. I want one giant planet, minimal cutscenes, no dialog, and an emphasis on exploration and isolation. If they could make it less linear than Prime it would be nice, but it's not necessary.

Story is irrelevant, as long as it's not stupid. In Prime (and Super Metroid, for that matter), it was about the experience, the atmosphere, not the superficial details of Samus' inner thoughts.

Prime really only got one proper sequel. Prime 3 was too different in terms of structure and execution to be a worthy successor to the first game. I think if they went back to Prime 1 (and to an extent, Prime 2) for inspiration, they'd have a good starting point, a "do-over" of sorts. The series has simply been going in the wrong direction since Hunters. This would be a way to bring it back.

HeroofScotland

The Anti-Social Kid
1 - Make a game that makes the Prime series cannon, while Other M not so much.

2 - It should be 2D.

3 - I wouldn't want it to be as "confusing" as Super Metroid, I like the way Zero Mission told you where you needed to go, but didn't exactly tell you how to get there.

4 - I want it to be a sequel to Fusion.

5 - New upgrades like new beams and morphing forms would be cool.

6 - Make Samus a "mute" like she's always been.

And I guess that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom