• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ideal Zelda Game

N

Nayru's Aide

In your eyes, what would be the ideal Zelda game, whether its possible on this generation of technolog or the next? Please don't just say being zapped into the game, but something Nintendo could develop within the next 5-10 years. What key traits would it have? Art style?

For one, I would prefer a vibrant but realistic art style - Twilight Princess's but more colorful. Obviously, I would want the graphics to be top-notch. Then, I would want a game with an overworld so big, it makes Fallout wet its pants :P. That above all else. Personally, I have high faith in a MotionPlus based game, and a focus on motion control would be big for me. Majora's Mask-esque side quests would be nice to fill the overworld, but I would like a plot that carries you through the whole land - some places for you to explore on your own, but I want there to be plenty of towns, dungeons, etc. with people to meet and major challenges to overcome. Plus, there needs to be voice acting and orchestrated music.

But in the end, I suppose we can't come up with the ideal Zelda game - that's Miyamoto's job. Still, what traits should the ideal game have?

In your eyes, what would be the ideal Zelda game, whether its possible on this generation of technolog or the next? Please don't just say being zapped into the game, but something Nintendo could develop within the next 5-10 years. What key traits would it have? Art style?

For one, I would prefer a vibrant but realistic art style - Twilight Princess's but more colorful. Obviously, I would want the graphics to be top-notch. Then, I would want a game with an overworld so big, it makes Fallout wet its pants :P. That above all else. Personally, I have high faith in a MotionPlus based game, and a focus on motion control would be big for me. Majora's Mask-esque side quests would be nice to fill the overworld, but I would like a plot that carries you through the whole land - some places for you to explore on your own, but I want there to be plenty of towns, dungeons, etc. with people to meet and major challenges to overcome. Plus, there needs to be voice acting and orchestrated music.

But in the end, I suppose we can't come up with the ideal Zelda game - that's Miyamoto's job. Still, what traits should the ideal game have?

Very good points Nayru but...what about a hot air balloon? Now i know your like what Skull Kid...? But ready Link could go up in his balloon and start booming and firing arrow at enemy. Maybe put that baby to work in the mini game. Hehe dog fights with other characters in the game but im getting in little to much what do you think?

MrLuigi

Theorist
I game that tells me everything about the time line.Ranging from characters to enemies. Everything. And only I can play it.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man

I think you just described my ideal Zelda game. Seriously. Voice acting, a graphic style like Twilight Princess (but less depressing), a huge overworld filled with Majora's Mask style sidequests...

The only thing that's missing from your description is an epic storyline with twists and turns and a whole world at stake. And I know I'm in the minority, but I really wouldn't mind if they fleshed out Link's character and background a bit more.

Now if they fill in the gaps between other games (like the true story behind the Shadow Link(s) or the Hero Shade), it'd be perfect.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
I personally would like to see the top-down view go a few steps further. If it could get Gamecube or above graphics, designed in 3D, with the option to go into first-person view to see things from Link's perspective, I'd be quite happy. But I wouldn't want the stylus-only control trend, which wasn't as easy to navigate in the WW sequels as I'm sure they would have liked, and were it on Wii I don't think I'd want to go swinging the wiimote around just to get him to roll or swing his sword. Sometimes simple is best.

It'd also be nice to see dungeons done with this in mind as well. If they're in 3D with a good memory backing you could have amazingly detailed dungeons that don't come across as 'flat' as so many top-down dungeons seem to. It'd also make the puzzle-solving interesting as well. You could tell they tried this with PH and ST, but seemed to limit themselves too much with the idea of keeping-with-the-old-games.

A few side-quests, some minigames to play, quarter-heart collection rather than full-heart bars, a tight selection of items that could prove useful right to the end... That, my friends, would be lovely to me.

Ideal Zelda

GRAPHICS
My ideal Zelda game would have cinematic-type graphics....an example being the cinematic cut-scenes from some of the more recent Final Fantasy games (see links). Being able to have playable graphics to this quality would be amazing.

Graphics Example 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjdKkgOWqvY

Graphics Example 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMOGswAQPB0

STORY
The exact storyline is not as important to me, but having a storyline that somehow brings together a lot of the loose ends and questions from previous games (most of them timeline related) would be extremely exciting to me. One storyline idea that I've had that's a little bit different than what they have done in the past is to make a game that goes beyond the boundaries of what we know as "Hyrule"....travel to other nations, but allow for easy travel between these nations through a transport system that doesn't require songs or some other means by way of some external item. The transportation would be inherent to the world around us, but we just have to discover it (I guess this idea would be similar to the "pipe system" or something in Mario). So the overworld would be immense, but it wouldn't necessarily feel immense...I love the way MM was so dense in it's game architecture, but I also feel like with the type of graphics I mentioned you need some vastness and grandiose that can really only come from a very large overworld to really get that "epic" feeling.

CONTROLS
Hard to say if I would include MotionPlus, because I've never used it before but I did enjoy playing TP on the Wii so there would definitely be at least some motion control similar to TP. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy the controls of SS, so most likely that would be included as well.

GAMEPLAY
I'm a huge fan of MM's use of sidequests within the overall structure of the game, so something similar would definitely be included. The dungeon bosses would be much more difficult than they have been in recent games. I would try to stray slightly from what has become the typical Zelda forumula of....1) quest begins and we have to defeat dungeons to collect something....2) things we collected empowers something or causes some sort of change at the midway point....3) 2nd part of the quest begins and we defeat dungeons to collect something different before the final battle. I'm not sure of the best way to go about changing this, but if my game includes traveling beyond Hyrule to other nations (as mentioned under STORY), then maybe the storyline includes the need to unite multiple kingdoms to join Hyrule against a common enemy. So we wouldn't necessarily be collecting anything, and instead we would be gaining the trust and respect through the showing of courage, bravery, intelligence, etc. of other nations.

Last, with respect to GAMEPLAY, I would create a game that has multiple outcomes and scenarios. At certain points in the game, the players decisions ultimately change and shape the ending of the game during that run-through. For example, maybe in my game while traveling to outside nations (attempting to gain their support) you obtain items vital in completing the game and winning the final battle, but certain achievement levels were not reached during this portion of the game and the outside nation does not give you their support....this does not make the game unbeatable, but it makes the final battle and subsequent portions of the game much more difficult (I guess this idea is similar to the collecting of masks in MM...you don't have to collect all masks, but doing so allows you to get the Fierce Diety mask which allows Majora to be easily defeated). Also, this changes the subsequent conversations, cut-scenes, and ending.

This would make 2nd Quests/Master Quests inherent to the game itself. One could replay this game numerous times and get slightly different version each time.

M

MountainTroll

My ideal game would be sort of a revamped classic Zelda game. I would love to have a 3d Zelda game with brown haired link, cool old men in robes, and a pig-like Gannon... But give it a real plot and epic feel to it. I would want to have a huge overworld, and use epona similar to tr king o the red lions, and just explore for hours. I just really want to combine the original and ww, with orchestrated music and cutscenes of course. Whose with me for bringing back midevil brown haired cross sheilded link?

Retsdob

Retsdob
There is no such thing as a perfect Zelda game. For every positive attribute a change has comes a negative one, sure, they could make it better. Not to mention the grand rule of all things nerdy: NEVER listen to the fans you'll get things that crash and burn like naruto or twilight princess. Let them do their thing, and if we don't like it, let them know.

S

SydneyTheCat

:)I think my ideal Zelda game would be a game which is a remake of the original The Legend of Zelda but with updated graphics. AxleTheBeast talked about this in one of his mailbags and since I heard about that idea, I wanted it to come true!

D

Decoy

I liked all Zelda games, it's kinda neat how once you get immersed into any of them you sometimes begin to find answers or figure out dungeons.. following the writer/programmer's logic.

Link to the past and Ocarina of Time--Master Quest are perhaps my favorite games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom