• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Ideal Introduction Length and Composition?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In general, Zelda introductory phases (that is, the exposition that gets the game a-runnin') is really short compared to outside games. However, we've had all walks of life, from an instantly finished introductory phase (Legend of Zelda) to a some two hour ministory (Skyward Sword). Each Zelda title offers its own flavor - some of them are really short and just serve to show that Link indeed is a hero; others detail his life prior to BECOMING a hero.

What is your ideal introdutory phase length (how long should it take), and what should it comprise (tutorials, some kinda ministory, or just a straight shot to adventure)?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
...Skyward Sword 2 hours? Whaaaa?

Anyway, just enough to introduce us to the characters, create the setting, and remove the need for a tutorial dungeon. It should present puzzles like TP did and trials or challenges like SS and MM did rather than just walking you through the steps like a monkey in tWW.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
...Skyward Sword 2 hours? Whaaaa?

Yup. It's the longest introduction I've ever dreaded through. It could have been waaay shorter.

Anyways, I believe the ideal length for an introduction should promptly set the scene for the player. Introduce a few characters, and swiftly establish a plot to follow. Not too quickly to the point where it's rushed, but fast enough where players don't spend two hours learning controls and other various game mechanics. An ideal introduction should absolutely not take more than one hour, but not as short as about 10 minutes.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well before I continue on this...where does the introduction of SS end for you?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Ideally, an introduction will be short, sweet, and to the point. OoT does this well. We get a minute or so of exposition, but it's all central to the game and our understanding of the situation. At no point does the information or dialogue feel boring or irrelevant to the plot. We even get that cool dream that leaves us with a sense of forboding from Ganondorf and curiosity from Zelda. We're instantly piqued at how and if Link will get to the interesting event we just saw; brilliant. Nothing big is spoiled, and what is spoiled is full of energy and wonder. We soon meet the lovable Navi and lazy Link. This is done through a couple nice and lively little scenes. Then we are free to wander around our neat little town, or we can quickly dive into recovering a sword and shield. We quickly learn the mechanics of gameplay, and we're still riding the fun and wit of the previous scenes. We then get our sword and head to the Deku Tree. He brings us up to speed and we dive into the adventure. In a just a matter of minutes, we have learned the plot, gotten basic gameplay down, met some characters, and done all of this within a brief and energy-filled time in Kokiriri forest.

Well, there it is. The best intro is OoT. Combine a forboding dream, action, energy, and some likable characters, and you have a great intro.

MM also does things well, but that's mainly because we know what happened in OoT. Also, the length of the 3-days and bombers notebook might be a little too long at 54 minutes. I mean that's like as long as the SS introduction before we get to the big showdown at the Clock Tower. Am I the only one who noticed that?

TP works pretty well, but the characters and events aren't as interesting (the kids needed more development). We also had a dumb cat quest, but the intro does a good job of establishing the situation, and Zant's attack on the castle gets a sense of wonder and forboding in a way similar to Ganondorf's dream in TP. The goat-herding also provided a fun little game alongside learning mounted movement, and it was more enjoyable than some give it credit for.

SS is infamous for its long opening, but why? I mean we get a forboding dream, an intro to characters people keep telling me are awesome, a lazy hero, and an intro to basic gameplay; such a sword-fighting and Loftwing-riding. I mean the other openings had all that. I suppose the game does drag its feet a bit with the wandering around town and another dumb sidequest, but I don't understand why this game is singled out for hatred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom