• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Idea For a Dungeon (Don't Laugh)

Not that weird - I've had the idea before, but for an entirely different reason. :) In this old thread, my idea was that the temple was completely silent at first, and throughout the dungeon you had to release instruments, and as you did so, its melody was added to the background music. Defeating the boss at the end of the dungeon would release the voice of its sage, singing the song of healing. (I may or may not have gotten the idea from Ariel's voice being in Ursula's necklace in the Little Mermaid, heh.)

I also like the idea of puzzles being in the form of music notes. Perhaps you would have to find sheet music throughout the dungeon (in the form of A ^ >) in order to learn songs that will unlock doors.

That reminded me of the room in Luigi's Mansion with the Instruments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q98u_mIwYNg

Mario theme, I Love it!! <3

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
That reminded me of the room in Luigi's Mansion with the Instruments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q98u_mIwYNg
Mario theme, I Love it!! <3

I didn't know about that! Pretty neat. In terms of Zelda, I was thinking more along the same line as TheGreen, who brought up Link's Awakening. All the instruments Link gathered played a song at the end. It seems that would be nice homage to the series, while at the same time, it's not something that's been overdone.

Something else - you know how you had to listen to the melody of the howling stones and then repeat it? I liked the concept, but they shouldn't have shown us the notes - we should have had to guess them. It's not like there are that many different notes to choose from. Anyway, it's an example of the way music puzzles have already been done in the series. The frog mini-game in Ocarina of Time, too. So it wouldn't really be a departure, just an emphasis.

Speaking of OoT, Nintendo4ever's idea of seeing the origin of the Ocarina of Time (the item itself) is pretty neat, too. Or at least a predecessor. And it has been used to solve puzzles (playing the Song of Time to move blocks, or Zelda's lullaby to change water levels, or using the Scarecrow's song, etc.)

T

The Zelda Guru

i love this idea! I wander what the instrument would be though...

The boss would be a Pols Voice!!

That is a GREAT idea! What should happen is that link will have to find instruments in different rooms of the temple, and a miniboss for each one! Then link would have to play the instruments with the right notes and order to open the boss door. The item could be a flute or something that can summon, for example, a gust of wind, or other forces of nature.

This is a very interesting idea. As you said, music is a major part of Zelda and a music dungeon would expand the unbreakable link between music and Zelda. Music could be used to solve various puzzles and to even defeat the boss. I think in relation to Skyward Sword it could have a music based dungeon that deals with the creation/discovery of the Ocarina of Time. Think about it, a game that takes place before Ocarina of Time, and since it deals with the creation of the Master Sword it seems to make sense that the Ocarina of Time could return in the Zelda series. Another insturment could be the dungeon item or be in your posession already and be used to complete the dungeon. This is a great idea and I hope that one day it's included in a Zelda game.

This is a great idea, one of the relative few I've read unfortunately.

They should do this, if not with Skyward Sword (Since that just might be upending the table) then in the next installment. I also can't recall a temple that focused on light....

didn't the spirit temple (Oot) and the Earth temple (wind waker) revolve around light? they had a few puzzles that revolved around the reflection of light with the mirror shield so i wouldn't exactly say it hasnt been done before.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Hmmm... A music dungeon? Sounds interesting. What if you get to play a big piano?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love Music in the Legend of Zelda, and I agree that it takes a great role in the series, but I do not think that it is the right basis for a dungeon. My reasoning? Well it has been tried a few times in other games, notable Kingdom Hearts II. In Kingdom Hearts, each world may be compared to a dungeon in a Zelda series, but in this world, you did not fight any enemies and all you did was "perform a musical". This consisted of pressing X,O, Square, and Triangle at the correct time during "Under the Sea" and other such songs. In production of this, Square Enix probably thought it would provide good relief for the game, but to me it did not. For one reason mainly it did not, and this is because Kingdom Hearts is such a fast paced, battle driven game that it just felt so out of place.

Granted, Square Enix made this game, and there is no reason why Nintendo couldn't try and do it differently. I might be fine with the idea as long as the core elements of Zelda, such as puzzles and combat, do not disappear within the "music Temple"

David

But you called me here...
Don't get me wrong, I love Music in the Legend of Zelda, and I agree that it takes a great role in the series, but I do not think that it is the right basis for a dungeon. My reasoning? Well it has been tried a few times in other games, notable Kingdom Hearts II. In Kingdom Hearts, each world may be compared to a dungeon in a Zelda series, but in this world, you did not fight any enemies and all you did was "perform a musical". This consisted of pressing X,O, Square, and Triangle at the correct time during "Under the Sea" and other such songs. In production of this, Square Enix probably thought it would provide good relief for the game, but to me it did not. For one reason mainly it did not, and this is because Kingdom Hearts is such a fast paced, battle driven game that it just felt so out of place.

Granted, Square Enix made this game, and there is no reason why Nintendo couldn't try and do it differently. I might be fine with the idea as long as the core elements of Zelda, such as puzzles and combat, do not disappear within the "music Temple"

I totally agree with the Kingdom Hearts II atlantis world. I HATED it. It was far too drab and boring. But I don't think that Nintendo would do something like that in a new game and I think that that kind of dungeon was not what was originally thought up in this thread.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
lol
Ridiculous idea, I must say. Sorry.lol
I guess it's a fine concept because everybody fancies it, but pretty lame, actually. But hey, it's not like I came up with anything better.

But what would be cool for a shadow dungeon would be that the boss would be Dark Link and he fights you like in OoT but harder to defeat and honestly, I would love to see music in the game, but just as an Easter Egg or something minor like the flute in ALttP...

THIS. This is why I think it is a ridiculous idea, by the way =/

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
This is actually a pretty good idea. It's not something that would've ever crossed my mind, but it seems like a pretty good idea. I think it would probably be more suited as something sidequest-related, rather than it being related to the plot and main idea of the game. If it were to be something that could be included in the game, I think it'd be like walking on an instrument. To extend on what I mean by that is that you could walk into one room and you're basically walking over top of an Ocarina, or something along those lines. Something that would be even neater would be if you could walk on staff lines and see the various different instruments we've seen in the Zelda series.

Along the lines of music generally being played, I think it'd be pretty cool to see some of the more common and popular pieces of music played while you roam the dungeon. If the rooms were to shift and change as each song played (change colors, surroundings, etc.) that'd be something pretty interesting. That's just what I think though.

This is a really good idea!

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
This is actually a pretty good idea. It's not something that would've ever crossed my mind, but it seems like a pretty good idea. I think it would probably be more suited as something sidequest-related, rather than it being related to the plot and main idea of the game. If it were to be something that could be included in the game, I think it'd be like walking on an instrument. To extend on what I mean by that is that you could walk into one room and you're basically walking over top of an Ocarina, or something along those lines. Something that would be even neater would be if you could walk on staff lines and see the various different instruments we've seen in the Zelda series.

Along the lines of music generally being played, I think it'd be pretty cool to see some of the more common and popular pieces of music played while you roam the dungeon. If the rooms were to shift and change as each song played (change colors, surroundings, etc.) that'd be something pretty interesting. That's just what I think though.

This is a really good idea!

This reminds me of the weird shops and activity buildings from OoT and MM.
I think it would be nice to see these return.

Of course! I've had that idea for a while too. :3 It would be amazing if it was put into a game like Ocarina of Time. There could be dozens of new puzzles concerning the songs! :D

*Warning Possible MQ Spoilers*

There actually was a Music Puzzle in OoT MQ in the spirit temple.... There was a music room where you had to run around and play songs in different places to progress through the room.

*End Spoiler*

I think a temple of this sorts would be brilliant. Not to mention the awesome sound track that became of it. There are so many different paths a music dungeon could take place.

While you could have puzzles that have to do with your instrument. There could be mazes... much like the much hated fire mazes but maybe with hidden roads where the music gets louder or quieter dependent on if youre going the right direction or not (somewhat like the lost woods in OoT I suppose). The possibilities with Clef's and Staff's and Notes are almost endless as such clues within a dungeon.

You just very well might be on to something. Dang, Now I'm excited to see a music dungeon and will be very much disappointed if I don't get to see one in the Zelda series soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom