• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Idea: Fantasy Mafia

Is this a good idea?

• Yeah sounds gucci I'd do this

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No it's stupid/won't work u big dummy go home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i guess i should add a neutral response but it really doesn't help

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
So I made a joke recently about having Fantasy Mafia, like a fantasy football league or something, and then it stopped being funny and started being something I actually wanted to do lol. So here I am posting a thread so I can talk to everyone about it and get feedback on whether or not this idea sucks :)

At this point in idea formulation there's no real reward, just kind of a separate game that revolves around the game itself so you can still play without being in the game, for example if the slots fill up or if you're too busy to play but still want to follow the game. You could put your stats in your signature if you want! (so far i can think of number of games won and total number of points accumulated over each game you've spectated) or we could also keep a separate tally in this thread or something to keep the stats public and everyone's pride or shame will be on display lmao

I just realized I haven't explained the entire concept LOL so basically anyone who isn't playing can contact the mod (or express interest after sign-ups have closed) and participate in the fantasy game, taking place perhaps in a discord chat or other group chat if fantasy players want to discuss theories. Fantasy players would have to be on their honor not to cheat and talk to the real players of course. If we want to do it round by round, then fantasy players could participate by sending predictions at the beginning of each Day phase of things like who the lynch will be, who the mafia will kill, who the cop will investigate, etc. (Or we could just have One Big Prediction before the game starts to make it more challenging.) Each correct prediction will earn you a point, or two points if the prediction is really really specific/difficult to predict.

Again, no real reward for winning, just bragging rights. I'd be willing to help run it if the real game mod doesn't want to, since it's my idea. I'm thinking that maybe a townie who gets lynched Day 1 can join as well since they basically won't have played. This idea is very new and not really thought out so this is a little bit bare-bones but if the community comes together I think it could work! What do you guys think?

This is a clustertruck of thoughts because i can't organize a single thing lol i'm so sorry that everything is so cluttered and verbose

if you have any questions or suggestions or general feedback PLEASE present it below :) if you guys don't like this idea that's fine it was only a minor side thing for people who want to participate in mafia but can't

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
you might want to try to come up with some specifics behind how it should work before trying to implement anything

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
you might want to try to come up with some specifics behind how it should work before trying to implement anything
if you have any questions or suggestions i'd be happy to take a look at them! right now i'm just thinking there'd be a group chat of some sort, and whoever's running the fantasy bits would just keep a list of predictions people send in before each day starts, i haven't decided on a concrete list of things they could guess but for now the concept is very simple and not fleshed out and New™ so i'd love some community input on other things people would like to predict. points would be awarded based on whether or not the prediction is correct. the fantasy players would probably have to know all the roles of all the game players so you'd have to be confident you won't replace in and all the game players would have to be good about staying up to date with the game so they don't have to be replaced (which should be happening anyway tbqh :))

again, other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mido

Version 1
I think the coolest thing about this idea is that it can really enhance spectator experiences. I think predictions could operate in phases that coincide with a respective game phase in the game thread. Predictions for Day 1 happenings, Night 1 happenings, and so forth; like you've mentioned already. I also like the idea of bold predictions that go before the game starts. I guess one question that's on my mind is that would a fantasy Mafia group chat be one grand chat for each game or one created for each respective round?

Pen

The game is on!
I like the idea. Here are some spontaneous general ideas for categories to "bet" on.

Day phase:
- Who gets lynched
- Who role claims
- Who fake claims
(- Who uses day ability)

Night phase:
- Who the Mafia kills
- Who the Doctor protects
- Who the Cop investigates
- Who the Vigilante kills
- Who the Roleblocker blocks
(- Who the third party targets)

Overall:
- Who wins
- How many phases the game lasts

Assuming I understood the concept right I think this may be a decent list to get started from. Though I do think that the categories should be adapted for the specific game.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I think it would be neat if the fantasy players had a view of the setup, although that could be a problem if you doubt the integrity of anyone.

Player performance (no choosing a player for multiple categories):
Choose a player who you think will win: ? points if they do.
Choose a player who you think will survive the game: ? points if they do.
Choose a player who you think will die: ? points if they do.
Choose a player who you think will catch a lot of scum: ? points for each scum they help lynch.
Choose which faction you think will win the game: ? points if you're correct. Bonus points for some third party roles with lower victory chances (like SK).

Prediction:
Points for successfully guessing night-action targets.
Points for guessing the NK target.
Points for guessing the lynch.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
I guess one question that's on my mind is that would a fantasy Mafia group chat be one grand chat for each game or one created for each respective round?
That's a fantastic question! I'm thinking one grand chat for each game, if it's a discord chat we could make different text channels for each game, and either archive important notes later if needed or just delt them after a certain amount of games have progressed since then.
I think it would be neat if the fantasy players had a view of the setup, although that could be a problem if you doubt the integrity of anyone.
yeah that's a big thing, although the "real" players work on the honor system as well by not DMing each other without having a role that permits them. If players end up cheating then we can scrap either knowing the setup or just this whole thing in general, or maybe blacklist them from the fantasy games. The first round or two would obviously be test runs and if it runs smoothly that's great, if not then we'll fix it or discontinue it.

So far for prediction ideas we've got a list below that I'll put together after finishing this note up here. I'm thinking of awarding more points for pre-game guesses (before anyone knows anything) and then after the fantasy players know the setup they'll only get 1 point, or two if it's a really overly specific guess.

Day 0 (pre-game) guesses:
Note: A player can only be chosen once in this category.

Choose a player who you think will win: 2 points
Choose a player who you think will survive the game: 2 points
Choose a player who you think will die: 1 point (a lot of players are probably going to die, especially if it will be a town win, so I made this one point. feel free to challenge me on it)
Choose a player who you think will catch a lot of scum: 1 point for each scum they help lynch
Choose a player who you think will be replaced: 2 points (none is a viable option)
Choose which faction you think will win the game: 2 points. Bonus point if it's a role that normally has a lower chance to win.
Choose how many phases you think the game will last: 3 points for 100% accuracy

joke idea that i'm totally willing to put in: Choose a player who you think will be the saltiest: 1 very salty point

Daily guesses:
Note: these must be sent in before each day phase begins. Guesses for the Day 1 lynch and Night 1 actions must be sent in along with the Day 0 guesses.

Who do you think will be lynched today: 1 point. No lynch is a viable guess. Bonus points if you correctly guess a tie. (should i limit this to naming all players in the tie or at least one player?)
Who do you think will role claim: 1 point
Who do you think will fake claim: 1 point if you guess the player, 2 points if you guess the role as well.
Who do you think will be targeted by the mafia tonight: 1 point (this category should be repeated for any other nightly killing roles, a point will also be awarded if you correctly guess that they will choose not to make a kill)
Who do you think will be targeted by the Doctor tonight: 1 point (i thought about giving a bonus point if the doctor saves their target but decided against it, i'm open to change that though)
Who do you think will be targeted by [other roles that exist]: 1 point if correct, I can't think of a role that would allow for bonus points so just one flat point for other roles if you want to guess them.

I decided against awarding points for Daytime actions since if it's a one-shot you can just farm points off of them and i didn't want to have to keep track of that + if you only get a point if they use it you can just guess yes every day and get a point that way. On top of that, Daytime roles aren't that common on ZD iirc, but I'm of the opinion that if a mod puts in a Daytime role they can choose how to deal with points regarding that role.

I'm thinking about skipping bastard games for fantasy games, unless there is a high demand for it. I think it could get a little crazy. but i am also a coward so who knows

More feedback would be appreciated! Thanks for the suggestions given and I am still open for more ideas on how to make this as fun as possible :)

Last edited:

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
I've set up a Discord server for anyone who wants to talk about the current game, theorize, work together/fool each other into picking wrong, etc. I've pinned the forms to submit to whoever is running the fantasy round. I'm deciding to run fantasy mafia, at least for the current round. I want to help test it, since I started this idea. :)

I'll post the discord link publicly. Anyone who is not playing the current game gets a role that grants them permission to see the discussion channel for the current game. Anyone who doesn't have discord or just doesn't want to join, can DM the fantasy mod with their predictions.

https://discord.gg/EwspKZr

Pen

The game is on!
We should note that anyone who's signed up for BotW Mafia or who wishes to remain a replacement contender cannot join this server for as long as the game is still running. If they do I will not hesitate to mod kill. :)

EDIT: But it seems stuff will be locked behind channel permissions, so I guess it's cool to join the server after all. ^^

Pen

The game is on!
I'll be opening up the BotW Mafia game thread in an hour or two, so if there's anyone left who won't be playing or who doesn't want to replace into the game, they've still got time to join the fantasy mafia Discord server that Gummy linked to above. The more the merrier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom