• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler I Want to Believe He's Dead. :(

This is a Majora's mask theory. it is incomplete but ill do my best to piece everything Ive theorized together.

This is based on a theory I did not come up with on my own. I am viewing this from the bases that Link has died before the events of Termina which was someone else's theory.:sad:

disclaimer this was made without me seeing or hearing any explanations from the creators. outside of them saying that Termina is a parallel world to hyrule. this could mean anything and do keep in mind that the creators can call this world an alternate hyrule without specifying how it came to be. in other words Zelda lore doesn't talk about the goddesses creating this world as far as I know, so while they do say it is an alternate dimension they did not say if it exists outside of Link's subconscious(as far as I know).

INTRO: Link is travelling through the lostwoods in search for navi. I think it is navi because the text at the start of the game says that his dear friend parted ways after he defeated ganon Im paraphrasing. the only person Ive seen link part ways with post ganon is navi the camera clearly depicts navi flying away. at this point I think Link is still alive. Tael and his sister startle epona and knock link off his horse, as of know I havent come to the conclusion of wether he dies here or not, simply because part of me refuses to believe that the hero would be offed so easily. He is a child though, but I still have a lot to consider as well as what nintendo would do in order to justify such a story( assuming my theory is somewhat right).He encounters skull kid with the mask on, let's assume link is still alive at this point. skull kid takes off with epona and the ocarina, shortly after this Link falls into a hole into Termina's world. before he starts seeing the hallucinations this is where i believe he dies. this may sound weak but I feel he died from the fall, not the fall of him landing on the deku bush, but he died hitting the ground in the lost woods somewhere but naturally for the sake of the story of majora's mask that was not shown. I believe the mask is real and that it is evil. however I dont believe link actually did anything to stop the mask in reality, he did however stop majora in his subconscious.

OR he did land on that deku bush perhaps still in the lost woods and not Termina but the hit he recieved from his fall off of epona only aided in his hallucinations, still conscious enough to hear about his hors's death his mind accepts that he has fallen to the sad fate of becoming a deku scrub. unexplainably becoming a deku scrub.
What ensues after is Link's subconscious kicking in. For a hero to die in such a pathetic way is unheard of, so his mind creates one last problem for Link to solve so that he can rest in peace. I feel as though link's subconscious is capable of this even though he is a child, because he has the memories of an adult.

BODY: He goes through the town, cycles between 3 days back and forth; with the reasoning behind his ability to control time with music due to the fact that it is in his mind; are the words Zelda told him, which in reality were nothing more than best wishes and a verbal blessing. I dont believe it is possible for Zelda to have known that her words would have activated time control in another dimension. therefore I feel they were nothing more than just best wishes. she was a child after all who was helpless before ganon before Link returned to warn her, it isnt like she had her memories of 7 years in the future. The time she sent Link back to his childhood was due to the fact that they were(probably) in the sacred realm( again this is shaky and speculation but they were in a different space shortly after sealing ganon away with the other sages).
Link does what he has to do, becomes the hero he knew he was in life for everyone he already met. I dont feel that nintendo was being lazy by keeping the same characters nor was it especially creative to do so. but it would be necessary for this tale to unfold the way my theory is explaining it. I say this because during the credits I had no idea about the married couple or a few of the other characters that you COULD help out in those 3 days if you chose to. which means that it was entirely up to link which means it was optional and not necessary in order to stop majora, which means... (deep breathe) link went out of his way to literally complete these quests for his own personal reason which was to be laid at rest as a hero that Termina would not forget. just because Link recreated the people from hyrule doesnt mean the couldnt have created the other characters exclusive to majora's mask as well. im not trying to debunk any one else's theory because it is equally fair for me to ask is termina is an alt to hyrule who is the Deku scrub king an alt for? or his daughter?

The happy mask sales man. A person necessary to link for the sake of helping him become a hero again. Link remembers skull kid which is why at the end skull kid ( in link's mind) says you smell like the fairy kid from OoT, but is there any reason skull kid would not have recognized him and made it more obvious? It wasnt a hint from nintendo saying it's the same skull kid it was link hearing what he needed to hear. in OoT im pretty sure as i have done this recently in the 3d remake, you teach skull kid saria's song as a child and then play it again as an adult. saying that he was taught by a fairy kid means that he wasnt referring to adult link, and if we logically believe that skull kid isnt dense enough to not recognize Link. then that must mean it isnt really skull kid there but a skull kid link created and is acknowledging knowing Link from the past.

also when watching the ending take note of how link doesnt always face the happy mask sales man when he is talking. he is simply hearing what he needs to hear however skull kid is facing the happy mask sales man naturally as if he is real to him. Link is simply observing in an unnatural way. the line about parting also indicates that this sales man created by link is simply breaking the 4th wall by saying Link has the power to call upon him again like he did originally. Parting for a for a short time or forever. ( Ill repeat what i stated earlier link created this figment of the happy mask salesman because he needed to created a damsel in distress in order to become the hero again). happiness happiness happiness, not a bad thing to tell yourself near the realization of your death. By that i mean link's mind knows that his adventure is over and again he is simply hearing what he needs to hear.

FINALE: back to the lost woods where link's phantom creeps. surely after sometime his soul comes to terms with what has happened, epona leaves him because she is already dead and he eventually finds himself as shade. regret often comes with maturity, maturity; something that helped link realize what had happened, hence why shade has regret before passing on his skills to Link of twilight princess.

with this theory in mind I do not believe that he and romani( ranch girl) had a child. while it is in the same time line, that doesnt necessarily mean that TP Link is his blood relative. just another re incarnation of link. the green tunic and the sword play one of the few reasons he is referred to as his child at the great spin technique meeting.

I started cracking up near the end of this write. thank you for reading. im looking forward to whatever holes and faults and contradictions you find.

the story of majora's mask didnt say link died. so it isnt a summary. the theory only proves its legitimacy by explaining the events in a way that is possible if link had died.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Hmm I've heard theories such as this before but I do believe Nintendo said Termina is an alternate world to Hyrule (if someone can find the quote that would be helpful as I'm not entirely sure if that statement was said). Anyway, I do see Termina as an alternate world and I've posted my own theory of sorts which includes my thoughtson this odd place and it's twisted mythology. It just makes it hard to follow since I just don't believe the whole: "Link died" scenario.

Also, if this world did all come from Link's subconscious, how does that explain all the new figures within Termina and it's odd culture? The familiarities can support the notion that this took place within Link's own subconscious but it doesn't explain the drastic differences between both Termina and Hyrule - this is something that makes me doubt this theory somewhat.

Also doesn't Hyrule Historia allude to the fact that the Hero of Time left Termina and continued onwards?

Last edited:
A very good point. I did mention how calling it an alternate world can be understood in many ways. just because I say some place is alternate doesnt mean it's visible to other people besides me. I could say 'Yume no gakure' is an alternate canada because it's cold but only I can see it because I created it. ( can't I? couldn't they? Couldn't Link?)

Oh I didn't know that they had said that about link post Termina adventure. however my arguement still holds water in that sense, his own personal adventure. but thanks for the response, it's a good one.

again because it would be subconscious it would take different forms like Stone tower being hyrule maybe a perverse and twisted hyrule with influence from the 'bottom of the well'.

I know it's far out there but we are talking about the subconscious. which the conscious mind cannot understand or interpret. We can only theorize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom