• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I think I can fix the timeline so that the new revelations in TotK do not contradict the lore of the past games.

So? The DT has two overlapping Zora races, too(River and Sea Zoras). Not the first time something like this has happened.
But there aren't two overlapping Rito in the AT. Or the theory is that there are because the founding of Hyrule had Rito? But then the Zora evolved into the Rito? So the AT Rito are a combo of the TotK backstory Rito and the Zora?
OoT Link did play a huge part in saving Hyrule on the DT, though; he still went through the temples and saved the sages, meaning that without him, the sages wouldn't have been able to seal Ganon and the Triforce away.
But he isn't remembered as a hero in any of the DT games, except in TotK. He isn't included in any of the Imprisoning War backstories. But TotK also remembers the Hero of Winds and Hero of Twilight.

Last edited:
"It is written that long ago there was a strong-willed Zora princess who was as meandering as a winding river. The princess, who was dearly loved by her fellow Zora, was as noble as she was innocent. Her name was Ruto. One day, a powerful and wicked man tried to take over Hyrule and brought great ruin to the once-peaceful Zora's Domain. Our tales speak of fallen Zora soldiers drifting down the river as it sadly reflected the chaotic retreat of the terrified Zora. Princess Ruto bravely fought back her tears as she bore witness to the tragic misery unfolding in the domain. Even amid her heartbreak, the Zora princess did all she could to help the weak and elderly escape. Next she swam against the river's current and climbed the mighty waterfall to challenge her foe. The details of this fight have fallen victim to the haze of time. Few details remain. Still, it is said that she was aided by the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend, and together they saved Hyrule. So the legend goes."Learnings of the Zora, Part Two

This is OoT. And not just any OoT, Adult Timeline OoT. "Together they saved Hyrule." Link did NOT save Hyrule in the DT or the CT. The Hero of Time, as we know him, exists in ONE timeline.
Other than the "powerful and wicked man" part, you could argue that the OoT sages became the Divine Champions of the Calamity War in BOTW's past. Maybe the powerful and wicked man was just a Phantom Ganon avatar. Yeah, that's a stretch.

But there aren't two overlapping Rito in the AT. Or the theory is that there are because the founding of Hyrule had Rito? But then the Zora evolved into the Rito? So the AT Rito are a combo of the TotK backstory Rito and the Zora?
No need for them to be a combo; just like most other games where they're not relevant, BotW/TotK Rito can be offscreen, or killed off in The Great Flood, or whatever, just like how Gerudo were irrelevant to the plot of TP, hence why they weren't in it, or the Four Sword not being in or even mentioned in OoT or TP due to it being irrelevant in both games, etc. this concept exists for different races and things across the series. Why do so many have a hard time wrapping their heads around this idea only--and I mean, ONLY, it seems--when it comes to BotW/TotK type Rito?

But he isn't remembered as a hero in any of the DT games, except in TotK. He isn't included in any of the Imprisoning War backstories. But TotK also remembers the Hero of Winds and Hero of Twilight.
The HoT wasn't included in the ALttP IW story because:

1. From a real world perspective, he wasn't an idea yet

2. The ALttP IW happens after the HoT is defeated anyway, so he's not important to that story.

As for the HoW and Twilight being remembered, in BotW, they weren't canon due to being amiibo. It can be argued that their inclusion in TotK was just a way to give players an in game way to access them, but if you don't buy that, consider that many of the amiibo have had their names changed and their descriptions altered to either remove references(such as the lobster shirt), and the Dusk Bow(formerly the Twilight Bow) description saying that Zelda used this to fight the beasts of twilight when she only used it against Ganondorf(who wasn't even in his beast form at the time). That makes these items unreliable for determining a placement.

As for the HoW and Twilight being remembered, in BotW, they weren't canon due to being amiibo. It can be argued that their inclusion in TotK was just a way to give players an in game way to access them, but if you don't buy that, consider that many of the amiibo have had their names changed and their descriptions altered to either remove references(such as the lobster shirt), and the Dusk Bow(formerly the Twilight Bow) description saying that Zelda used this to fight the beasts of twilight when she only used it against Ganondorf(who wasn't even in his beast form at the time). That makes these items unreliable for determining a placement.
I was going to make a separate thread on this but might as well do it here. So: either all BotW reference items in TotK (armor, swords, boomeranges, bows, shields) are NON-CANON or are CANON in Tears of the Kingdom.

We obviously discard outfit canonicity in BotW, I'll only reference TotK, I'm going to do include all of them just for current and future reference, buckle up. I'll TL;DR at the end.

If they are non-canon, this problem goes away. But then you have to argue that something in the base game, that is actually a major piece of both sky and depths content, is not canon. This isn't Linebeck DLC in TFH or fun amiibo content in BotW: it is a base game large chunk of content. And a few others are quest rewards, or just out in the world. The ONLY rewards in the depths are these items. Maybe the entire depths aren't canon? Or maybe just the rewards for the Old Maps aren't canon? Maybe Misko isn't canon? Maybe the treasure chests are actually filled with something else? This gets absurd fast and you get my point: the items are obviously in-universe considered real and canon, and so we should treat them as real and canon as well.

Then the question is: are the names and item descriptions canon and indicative in TotK? If the items themselves are canon, I'd say yes that the descriptions are also canon. And I do think that these armor sets are a defeating inconsistency to the current timeline, more than anything that has come before (though these armor sets do not negate those other, already-present inconsistencies).

List:
Island Lobster Shirt: A soft, comfortable shirt traditional to a southern island. It's made of breathable fabric, so it's well suited to warm regions. (Lurelin Village, Surface)

Ravio's Hood: The hood of a traveling merchant who had a bracelet that could turn the wearer into a painting. Wearing it increases your sideways climbing speed. It's a rather rare find. (Secluded Coliseum, Depths)

Zant's Helmet: The ruthless Usurper King of the Twilight Realm wore a helmet much like this one... It's a rather rare find. (Scorching Coliseum, Depths)

Midna's Helm: A helmet much like the one Midna wore when she fought alongside the Hero of Twilight. It's a rather rare find. (Lone Island Coliseum, Depths)

Majora's Mask: An eerie mask passed down from ancient times. Wearing it makes it harder for certain enemies to spot you. It's a rather rare find. (Floating Coliseum)

Sheik's Mask: A mask said to have been worn by a Sheikah who saved a time-traveling hero. Ideal for undercover work. (Desert Coliseum, Depths)

Fierce Deity Mask/Armor/Boots: According to legend, these mask/armor/boots were once worn by a hero from a world in which the moon threatened to fall. It looks scary, but wearing it offers fierce, godlike power / When you wear it, you feel a fierce godlike power flow through you / Wearing them provides godlike power. (Akkala Citadel Ruins Summit Cave/Skull Lake Cave/Ancient Tree Stump Cave, Misko Surface)

Mask/Tunic/Trousers of Awakening: Legend says this mask/armor/trousers resembles/was worn by a hero who explored a mysterious island that one could visit but not leave. The item makes one want to wear it but also not wear it. (Thundra Plateau Cave/Ancient Columns Cave/Coliseum Ruins Cave, Misko Surface)

Cap/Tunic/Trousers of the Hero: According to legend, this cap was once treasured by an ancient hero. It's quite the simple cap, yet there's something about it that's just so appealing... / Legend has it this armor was once cherished by a hero from ancient times. Its design is rather simple, but it's such a traditional look. / Legends say these trousers were favored by a hero from an ancient age. Their simple design is a rare aesthetic these days, but there's something classic about them. (Corvash Canyon Mine/Dueling Canyons Mine/Tuft Canyon Mine, Depths)

Cap/Tunic/Trousers of Time: Legends say these cap/armor/trousers were once worn by a hero who traveled through time. A truly timeless item perfect for kids and adults alike / Strangely, its special design is fitted for children and adults alike. / They were originally made by a people who made their home in the forest. (Sturnida Lavafalls/Gerudo Canyon Mine/Lindor Canyon Mine, Depths)

Cap/Tunic/Trousers of the Wind: Legends say these cap/armor/trousers were treasured/cherished by a hero who sailed the Great Sea. It flaps quite serenely in a soft sea breeze / It's said to have been a gift from his grandmother / They're water-resistant, naturally. (Cuho Canyon Mine/Cresia Pit Mine/Tingel Island Chasm, Depths)

Cap/Tunic/Trousers of Twilight: According to legend, this cap was once worn by a hero who battled the monsters of twilight. For one reason or another, it seems to smell of some beast... / Legend has it this armor was once worn by a hero who battled the monsters of twilight. There still seems to be some hair clinging to it... Looks like it may be from a wolf? / Legends say these trousers were once worn by a hero who battled the beasts of twilight. The insides are lined with cozy wolf fur. (Rist Mine/Ancient Underground Fortress/Gleeok Den, Depths)

Cap/Tunic/Trousers of the Sky: Legend has it this cap/armor/trousers was once worn by a hero who appeared from the sky riding atop a mighty bird. Perfect for those who long to take to the skies / Apparenlty is was presented to celebrate the completion of a ceremony. / It was the official garb of a certain order of knights. (Retsam Grove/Crenel Canyon Mine/Minshi Grove, Depths)

Fierce Deity Sword: A peculiar greatsword allegedly used by a hero from a world in which the moon threatened to fall. It slashes wildly in battle as if possessed by a Fierce Deity. (Cephla Lake Cave, Misko Surface)

Sword of the Hero: A sword once wielded by a hero in an ancient age. When it's grasped, a strange sense of nostalgia washes over you. Take it when going alone would otherwise be dangerous. (Dalite Grove, Depths)

Biggoron's Sword: A legendary greatsword forged by a Goron craftsman for a hero who traveled through time. The exceptionally sharp cutting edge is a testament to the craftman's mastery. (Akkala House of Bones, Depths)

Sea-Breeze Boomerang: A boomerang said to have been used by a hero who traveled the Great Sea. It smells faintly of salt water. (Hebra Canyon Mine, Depths

Sea-Breeze Shield: A shield said to have been the favorite of a hero who traveled the open seas. It was apparently a family heirloom, passed down through many generations. (Tabahl Grove, Depths)

Dusk Claymore: A slender claymore thought to have been handed down to the kingdom of Hyrule ages ago. The blade shines with holy luster. (Moved from Sage Temple Ruins to Thyphlo Ruins, Surface)

Dusk Bow: A bow that's been in the royal family for ages. Said to have been used by a princess who fought beasts of twilight, it forcefully fires long-range arrows. (Hyrule Castle Spire, Surface)

White Sword of the Sky: A sword said to have once belonged to a hero from the sky. It's beautiful white blade stands out. When it's wielded, a strange yet heavenly breeze kicks up around you.

Tingle's Hood/Shirt/Tights: There once was a man who claimed to be the very reincarnation of a fairy. He treasured this hood/shirt/tights, and so will you. After all, it's a rather rare find. Kooloo-Limpah! (Statue of the Eighth Heroine Cave/Cape Cales Cliffbase Cave/Dueling Peaks South Cave, Misko Surface)

Phantom Helmet/Armor/Greaves: Myths abound about armored phantoms that terrorized brave heroes. This helmet/piece/greaves looks just like the ones they supposedly wore. It's a rather rare find. (Tamio River Downstream Cave/Ancient Alter Ruins/Puffer Beach Overhead Cave, Misko Surface)

Evil Spirit Mask/Armor/Greaves: Some believe this eerie mask/armor/greaves is inspired by a malevolent entity. It's a rather rare find. (Lomei Depths Labyrinth/North Lomei Depths Labyrinth/South Lomei Depths Labyrinth, Depths)

A couple levels: does the name and item description changes from the non-canon items to the canon items make them less reliable? No, it makes them more reliable, it makes the references made that much more intentional. They didn't just haul non-canon items into TotK: they changed them to fit the canon.

Is it bad I don't have the Japanese translations? Yes. But the existence of the armors alone suggests that the Hero of Hyrule, Hero of Legend, Hero of Twilight, Hero of Winds, PH/ST phantoms, CT Hero of Time (non-powered Majora, Fierce Deity), Zant, Midna, and Ravio existed in Tears of the Kingdom's past. I think this is irrefutable. Some version of the other timeline's stories occured at some point in the Downfall Timeline (assuming that's BotW and TotK's placement). Just from their aesthetic alone, not even including their names or their descriptions.

TL;DR...the references: the Island Lobster Shirt was traditional to a southern island (obviously Outset), Ravio's Hood was owned by a traveling merchant with a painting bracelet, Zant was the Usuper King of the Twilight Realm, Midna expliticlty fought alongside the Hero of Twilight, Sheik's Mask keeps up the lie that a Sheikah helped a time-traveling hero, the Fierce Deity Mask and sword were worn and wielded by a hero of a moon-falling world, the Awakening Set was worn by a hero who explored an unleavable island (obviously Koholint), the Time Set was made by a forest people for a time-traveling hero and stretches for adults and kids, the Wind Set was gifted to a hero by his grandmother on the name-dropped Great Sea, the sea-breeze boomerang still smells like the Great Sea's salt, the Sea-Breeze Shield was a generational heirloom, the Dusk Bow was used by a princess who fought the beasts of twilight (not necessarily with the bow: to derive that implication, it would read: "said to have been used by a princess who used it to fight beasts of twilight"), the Twilight Set HAS WOLF LINK'S HAIR CLINGING TO IT!

If these armors are canon, which obviously they are, then, charitably to the DT theory, the DT had very similar, almost identical conflicts to the CT and AT, or there must be another explanation besides just BotW and TotK being on the DT.

Not to mention Majora's Mask in ALBW or the Bow of Light in New Hyrule or the Master Sword at the end of OoT or the Downfall Timeline at all.

I do think the armor's and weapons' mere existence should be a defeating argument for the three separate timelines maintaining uncontradicted continuity all the way to BotW and TotK, not to mention their descriptions.

I was going to make a separate thread on this but might as well do it here. So: either all BotW reference items in TotK (armor, swords, boomeranges, bows, shields) are NON-CANON or are CANON in Tears of the Kingdom.
You left out the Goddess Sword, which is in the possession of the Forgotten Temple goddess statue. That taken by itself would be mind blowing, but is complicated by the white sword, as well as the other items generally.

OOPS. Okay, it's just the Goddess Sword.

Still the fact the goddess herself has it.

@GZ Zelda: Why is the Wild set there? Either Link should already have it, or it should be at the Forgotten Temple.

Proof that the amiibo items are most likely still easter eggs.

I might respond to the rest of your points later, but this thought came up earlier, so it may give you something to think about.

I just think that Minish Cap has a time split between LttP and OoC. Then Skyward Sword was a time divergent of BotW and Minish Cap.

The_Legend_of_Zelda_timeline.jpg

Sal

I would have to re-read those tablets to see if they make an actual mention to the Hero of Time or just if it is referring to a Hero in general.
this is the one:

History of the Zora, Part Five
The Sage Princess Ruto
As told by King Dorephan

Long, long ago... In a past more distant than even the Great Calamity or the creation of the Divine Beast Vah Ruta... There was a Zora princess named Ruto. We know that she was an attendant to the Zora patron deity and that she was a fair and lively girl, beloved to all. Around that same time, an evil man with designs on ruling the world appeared, bringing disaster upon Zora's Domain. It is said that Ruto then awoke as a sage, facing this foe alongside the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend. Her achievements are remembered not only by the Zora, they are also forever etched in the history of Hyrule. The Divine Beast Vah Ruta, built ages later to face off against Calamity Ganon, was named in honor of Ruto. That the Zora princess—my sweet daughter Mipha—was chosen to pilot Ruta is surely the work of fate.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
this is the one:

History of the Zora, Part Five
The Sage Princess Ruto
As told by King Dorephan

Long, long ago... In a past more distant than even the Great Calamity or the creation of the Divine Beast Vah Ruta... There was a Zora princess named Ruto. We know that she was an attendant to the Zora patron deity and that she was a fair and lively girl, beloved to all. Around that same time, an evil man with designs on ruling the world appeared, bringing disaster upon Zora's Domain. It is said that Ruto then awoke as a sage, facing this foe alongside the princess of Hyrule and the hero of legend. Her achievements are remembered not only by the Zora, they are also forever etched in the history of Hyrule. The Divine Beast Vah Ruta, built ages later to face off against Calamity Ganon, was named in honor of Ruto. That the Zora princess—my sweet daughter Mipha—was chosen to pilot Ruta is surely the work of fate.
So basically BotW and TotK are a reboot?

Cool idea with your timeline theory!

I have a brief idea its not as intricate as yours, but I dare to say its near flawless;
My timeline theory only Branches at "Ocarina of Time";
The Theory suggests Rarus Placement, (in Totk hisory) Before Skyward sword.
#(Ref to Mogma Statues in the depths working with the Zonai)

If this can be valid as cannon there are still 7 Plot holes to fill.

(Link for Reference)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom