• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I Need... Advice...

Go_Skyward

Seek a door that carries a [9]
I doubt anyone will look at this. But its worth a shot at least. I can't believe I'm asking Zelda fans for help... >.> I am such a horrible person sometimes...

Anyways, I will try to keep this short and cute. I don't want to go into a 3 page rant like I do sometimes (trust me. Talk to any of my frie-... online friends. They will tell you I rant a lot)

Anyways (again). I am having a little problem... its about school.

NO! Its not bullying like you might have just thought. This is general discussion.

I don't know what school I want to go to. I currently am homeschooled (explaining how I can spam the game forums to the max) and well... my parents want me to try a different but they are "okay with whatever school I want to go to school this coming school year". I do really like being homeschooled it has a lot of positive advantages to other schools but it does have it's major downfalls.

1. Any friends I try to make always live over 2 hours away from me. So, since my parents want me to have face-to-face friends, this is VERY difficult.
2. Next year in my homeschool program, I would be COMPLETELY on my own. Just me, and the teachers. (ehh... cheese reason is cheesy. I am already a loner.)
3. The teachers are sometimes hard to get ahold of. I've had moments where I couldn't get ahold of a teacher until a week later. Talk about crappy service.

Anyways, one of my other options for a school is a FREAKING HUGE public school. My mom and I visited it and we got a tour of the place from one of the staff members. Next school year for them they are adding 900 new students, making them quite possibly the biggest school in the WHOLE FREAKING STATE! (yes I live in AMERICA, I don't want to say which state i'm from though) So.... that means the school is HUGE. Seriously, on the way to this staff members office we got majorly lost. We had to ask a couple of teachers and a few students to even get to "wing b". Seriously, if we can get lost THAT easily, that is not good news for me. (Since I couldn't even tell you have to get to our local food store from my house. I am that bad at remembering directions)

Now this freaking huge school has some of the programs I want to get into. Which, is a huge plus. The MAJORA downfall for me is, like I said, the place is huge. And really don't like loud noises (unless its music related or video game related, then crank it up) and I HATE large crowds. So... I am just going to say I have "Demophobia". I very much dislike big crowds and since I have been just ditched by friends before, I guess I fear rejectment a bit.... anyways, I'm starting to rant.

My point is... I want to try to make friends... the only friends I have nowadays are my online friends and ONE lone friend that has been with me all these years. But... that huge school might just be too much for me...

Oh and did I mention that I have some slight health issues? But that's another story... it only slightly effects my problem... maybe...

But... there is some other options for schools I could go to... but I'm not sure. I'm just... stuck.

So should I continue to be an internet junky or face the crowd and try to meet people?

I just... dunno.

Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I didn't think it was "mature" enough to go into the mature discussion forum. So I thought here was good. Its this is in the wrong forum or anything feel free to modkill this post mods.

(lawl I just noticed how melodramatic this sounds. Oh well. Ignore the cheesiness please xD)

I recommend a smaller school. It's much easier to succeed in school when the teachers have the time to give two bowel movements about you. I think it is absolutely worth it to make yourself go to a school with other peeps, if you like other peeps. If you absolutely hate human interaction, a bigger school would likely be stressful and overwhelming, so I wouldn't dive in to something like that right off the bat. So, yeah, small school is recommended unless you can deal with lots of people and you don't need much attention from your teachers.

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Why did the humans attack
Hmm I wonder who this "lone friend" is XD
Anyway, idk if my post counts since I am this "lone friend" but I'll give it a go XD

When it comes down to it, you need to choose what YOU feel most comfortable with. Not what your PARENTS or CAT or NEIGHBORS are most comfortable with. When I was choosing between that charter school and online school, I had to write a list of PROS and CONS right next to each other for each school. Example:

Charter School
Pros: I get 8 hours of fairly good teaching
Cons: I have to get up REALLY early

Online School
Pros: I can choose when I want to do my homework and work around my schedule (and get up as early or late as I want =3)
Cons: I will have to find different ways then the schools bus to get to regularly scheduled activities.

Eh, something like that. The pro's and con's don't have to be related lol.

I chose online school because of the timing and the fact that I do work best at home without a ton of students chattering away. (And...the principal at this school doesn't hate me >.> XD)

For you, if you don't like REALLY big crowds then you definitely want to do a smaller school or just stick with homeschooling. If you usually need one-on-one interaction with homework, you don't want to go to a big school where the teachers have hundreds of kids to attend to. But, a big school like that would have TONS of opportunities to make friends and as far as learning, they probably have a pretty good program if they have that many students. And, you can really dig in to the extra curricular programs that will help you reach your goals of the career you want.

It also is a bit worrisome with your health issues. Bullies and other people can use that against you, and public schools (especially schools with that many kids) can't be as clean as a smaller school or your own home.

And for my own reasons: I WOULD MISS YOUZ DURING THE DAY! But I would survive so this doesn't count haha

Sooo yeaaaa...there are some suggestions that will hopefully help you decide. You might want to look into some other schools and see what they have to offer. =)

Like Zelda_Ali_Baba said before, the most important thing is that you're comfortable with your decision.

That being said, my vote actually goes toward the large public school, and I'll tell you why.

Public schools have a lot more students, which can be good and bad. However given that the issue that is seemingly making you most anxious is your ability to make friends, having a lot of people can be a huge positive. Big schools have tons of extra curricular activities and clubs (my high school had a Pokemon, Zelda, and a general "Video Gaming" club) where you can go to meet people who have the same interests as you with much less pressure. Teachers at public schools are actually required by law to maintain a certain level of one-on-one contact with each student, so I wouldn't worry too much about not getting enough attention. Plus, getting some experience working in a state-school environment is important to have before embarking on the real world: you need to know how to interact with different kinds of people from different backgrounds, with different morals and different tastes.

Clique problems vary from school to school. No matter where you go, there will always be that group of girls (and boys, on occasion) who've predetermined that junior high and high school is going to be the best time of their life and attempt to create cliques made up of only themselves. My high school had these kids, but no one really gave them much attention other than those who were already determined "cool". The other 90% of the population didn't really care. Our prom king and queen were the valedictorian and the a kid who had come out of the closet a couple years before. Why did they get elected? Because they were intelligent, caring human beings who were nice to everyone. Have faith in the teenage race. Most of them don't care as much about popularity as you've been led to believe. If you're a pleasant person who's nice to people, you'll make friends: lots of them. And if you're more of a pessimist, chances are, you'll find plenty of those too for you to bond with.

So again, my vote goes toward public school. It's important for you to learn how to handle yourself in group situations, there will be a ton of people there who are most likely just like you, and most schools don't have as many cliques as movies would have you believe.

Besides, getting lost and asking for help is a good way to make friends. ;)

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I go to a magnet school with about 900 to 1100 kids. It's not that big and is pretty cool because of the type of school. Magnet schools are unique because they are based around certain sets of electives. Mine is STEM, meaning science, technology, engineering, and math. Those are the focus electives. In my school the magnets are Engineering, Computer Systems Tech, BioMedical, and Video Game Design (pretty cool right?) so it's an interesting school. So I'd suggest looking for one of these. Other than the elective focus it's no different from a public so it's pretty normal.

Now Beckira is right. Cliques at schools don't exist really. Certain groups hangout out with each other but that's more to the fact of similar interests that define them rather than a clique. I intermingle with lots of people at my school. I'm not really popular. I usually become the butt of multiple jokes and I often get poked fun at. But it's my friends who do it so I don't care too much. So that's another reason for going for a public school. As for large size, that might make it better. Large size=more opportunities. More opportunities=more friends. Trust me. It's not too hard. That's one thing I learned. Going to magnet school for middle school led to leaving behind the jerks in 5th grade but I also had to leave my best friends. Same thing when going to high school. But it's not too hard to make friends cause chances are that out of all those kids you're gonna meet at least one person who is in a similar position as you. So you have opportunity there as well.

I'll end with "go with your gut" and "stick to your guns". Do what you feel is right. Follow your heart. I just simply want to point out that you'll have certain opportunities that wouldn't have come about if you stay home schooled. Plus you'll meet others who like A Day To Remember and can go to shows with you;)

I strongly suggest trying to get into a public (or private if your parents can afford it) school. The major reason for this is to try to become social. At some point in your life you are going to need to intreact with people or be exposed to large crowds and It is best to get acustomed to such things while you are younger. On a side note, It is extremely valuable to have friends. You don't need to be the most popular kid at school be having a few good friends that you can actually go hang out with is a really good thing.

Lukémon

Shows over folks!
Personally, I wouldn't go to the huge public school, going from homeschooling, where your pretty much on your own, to a massive school with 900 new students every year, sounds like too much of a step, I think that first you should try looking for a smaller school, one you can actually navigate.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Thus my point. Magnet schools. They have super low ammounts of students and are never over crowded. 900 seems like a lot but that's the ENTIRE population at my school. Most magnet schools have that ammount of students. With only 900 kids the class sizes are incredibly small compared to the high school I would've gone to with a total of 2000 students!

Dude, go for. Yeah the first couple of months (at the very most) will be hard but trust me. When you start making new friends and hanging out and meeting up you'll love it. Although i wouldn't conversion with "i'm a internet junkie" Just play it cool and quiet. As for finding your way around i shouldn't worry about. People dont mind giving pointers in the right direction ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom