• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors I might like AoC more than BotW

I know this is a semi-sacrilegious take, since the game is a spin-off, not even developed by Nintendo, but I might like it more than Breath of the Wild? AoC is much more focused on story and character development, which I appreciated. BotW is all about gameplay.

No spoilers please! I'm only halfway through.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
This is something I can get behind. Despite the messiness of the overall plot, I too preferred AoC to BotW. It was closer to what I would expect from a LoZ title, than BotW, despite the obvious differences in gameplay mechanics between a Warriors title and a Zelda title. BotW had nothing in it that truly captivated me which is why I only completed it last year despite owning it since about its release. It felt like a slog and I was really bored by the time I faced off against Ganon. Whereas AoC kept me motivated and wanting to play. For me it was way more fun to play, level up and work on side missions, and as a result I enjoyed it more.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Y'know, I can definitely see where you're coming from.

AoC was a genuine attempt to try to give a Zelda game a more creative story with better character development. I appreciated that quite a bit, even if I have issues with the execution. I tend to lean towards being a story over gameplay kind of guy, so that extra effort was nice to see. It created a far better sense of urgency than BotW's story ever did.

As far as gameplay is concerned, it's kind of hard for me to compare them, personally. AoC fills the Warriors niche of hacking up everything in sight, while BotW is a slow-paced, exploration-focused adventure.

I enjoy both, although I would definitely say that AoC has much better replay value than BotW. The main attraction in BotW is that big open-world, but once the novelty of exploring that is gone, there's not much reason to return to the game. I consider it one of my favorite Zelda games, and I still feel that way about it. On the other hand, AoC has so many gameplay challenges to tackle and replay that it feels like a more substantial game in some aspects, even if there's overall less to do in it.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I hated Hyrule Warriors. I loved HWAoC. It was so much fun, and kept me engaged way more than BotW did. In BotW if you don't have a set objective it can become boring and tedious to try and find things to do. But every level in AoC is challenging and exciting. Even if you've played most of the levels you can replay them for more items and upgrading characters. You always get something, whereas in BotW you can walk and walk but if you've already explored that area you may not find anything new. Not to mention AoC has Sooga, which is now one of my favorite Zelda characters.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I love both games a ton. BotW is my favorite video game of all time, there's very little I don't like about it. AoC simultaneously fills my Warriors fix and gives me quality time with BotW's world and characters that I love so much, so I appreciate it immensely. I think both games do a wonderful job of building off each other.

AoC is definitely a much more linear and story-focused experience compared to BotW's primarily anecdotal and environmental storytelling. If story's what you're after, I can see how AoC would be a more compelling entry with the way it hits you with it hard all the way through to the end. Personally I think both games deliver their stories really well, just in different ways. Both ways are good. I am someone who always looks for gameplay first, which is true of both BotW and AoC. I have a hard time enjoying story content without it being delivered by fun gameplay, and both games succeed in this in spades.

So while I do love BotW more (and more than any other game out there to boot), AoC is also an incredibly loveable game and I'm glad that there are people who get to enjoy BotW's worldbuilding and characters through another gameplay style that's more to their tastes.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Reasonable opinion. I still haven’t finished AoC myself, so I don’t think I could call it my favorite. It’s a great game though, so I can see why it would appeal over BOTW to some.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh I LOVE AoC tons!! I love the interaction between the champions and what I love the most will be put in spoiler tags so I don't ruin it for you ;)
I really love Zelda's development. She turned from a desperate person into a true leader who led her army into battle all by herself. Yes, she got help of course but she made this decision on her own and showed everybody to be capable of being a true leader. This did major justice to her character. That's the best thing they've ever done in the whole franchise. I totally love this!!

I played AoC for a bit. Unplayable for me with the low frame rate. I will get this when a Switch Pro comes out or the next Nintendo hardware and they decide to remaster it with deserving frame rate.

Just like Hyrule Warriors on Switch.

I wasn't too excited for AoC due to the gameplay, but after about 50 hours I can say it's a really good game.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I also prefer AoC over BOTW just because I liked the storyline and it just seemed more Zelda like in comparison to BoTW which surprised me since I am not exactly big on warrior type games but this was just so much fun and I spent so many hours playing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom