• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I Love My WiiU So Far..

I was only really amazed by the whole TV remote thing, right now I'm just, you know. Waiting..

575052_253492378111793_794797453_n.jpg

Aside from that I can't wait to explore the whole MiiVerse thing!
How are you enjoying your new Nintendo console so far?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
A couple of years ago I remember saying, "Wow! I love my Wii... so far..."

Weird. How did I miss this thread? I haven't sat down with my Wii U too much although I did get past that pesky system update. There went the first night. The actual update is rapid but downloading it takes 45 minutes. Nightmare.

I have yet to try out Miiverse or most of the online connections but I decided to sit down with New Super Mario Bros. U and beat the first three levels so far. Acorn Plains is a neat area and the game is significantly harder this time around. Placing blocks on the screen with the Game Pad is required to nab some of the Star Coins. The final segment below the giant spinning cog wheel is the largest Dry Bones fest I've ever seen. Nintendo truly outdid itself with the hidden areas from the wii version returning, new Yoshi abilities, the squirrel suit, the promise of DLC, more detailed backgrounds, and a whole lot more.

I won't be getting a Wii U for financial reasons and also because a lack of software for a while, but my opinion hasn't changed; I think it looks like a really solid console, and honestly most of the complaints I hear about it sound like the standard consumer rage over small things that I hear all the time. I doubt there are serious problems with the product, but I guess I've yet to try it out myself, so I dunno.

I'm glad to hear that New Super Mario Bros. U is a great game. It looks really fun to play and has gorgeous scenery.

What's this about a long system update?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't have a Wii U and won't get one because the library doesn't look that great (although I'm digging Black Ops 2 really heavily), but if I may ask those who DO have a Wii U: what's appealing about it thus far? Anything you'd like to comment on that you think is a decent service? I'm on the fence about getting one atm, but that's just me being super skeptical about anything modern. xD

What's this about a long system update?

As you take your Wii U out of the box and hook it up, you'll have to download about 4GB worth of data for the launch-day system update. As you can imagine, 4gigs is quite a lot to download, and it takes a bit of time after you finish downloading the update to even have the update applied to your software. :3

As you take your Wii U out of the box and hook it up, you'll have to download about 4GB worth of data for the launch-day system update. As you can imagine, 4gigs is quite a lot to download, and it takes a bit of time after you finish downloading the update to even have the update applied to your software. :3
My internet can download a gig in 5 minutes, so that doesn't sound so bad. Why does it take a while to even apply? It just does its own thing and won't install? Or it just takes a while to install? I thought I heard someone say the actual install time was short.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My internet can download a gig in 5 minutes, so that doesn't sound so bad. Why does it take a while to even apply? It just does its own thing and won't install? Or it just takes a while to install? I thought I heard someone say the actual install time was short.
Lucky you! I'm jealous ;p

Well, I don't have experience myself with the thing, but from a bunch of comments on YouTube, Twitter and a few Internet blogs, I'm guessing the users in question had less than "great" Internet, and thus applying the update took a little while [around 20 minutes or so] on top of the update's files time [around an hour or so, on average of what I read so far]. Of course, that's from a bunch of words I've read and a source'd help but I didn't save them. :X

According to this article the update is not so big and can be updated in the background.
Mmm, good read. Handled most of my concerns with this update business, and I gotta say I agree with his sentiments. xP Thanks for the link, Jimmy!

Either way, regardless of what the norm is, even if it took an hour or two to download and install... I don't really see what the big deal is. Most handheld systems have setup instructions involving recharging them from empty or whatever, and that also takes several hours (it's what I had to do with my 3DS).

Arguably they're annoying. I won't contest that. But if so they seem like minor annoyances for setting up a system that you're going to proceed to use for years afterward. I don't see why you would decry a system meant for playing games because its initial setup is a bit longer than you'd like. Again, yeah it's annoying, but once its set up the console is going to do exactly what it's meant to do. The bricking thing, on the other hand, was a serious concern that I'm not surprised freaked people out -- I still am wary of buying a 360 because of red rings of death and other horror stories -- but according to that article, those were false criticisms.

Last edited:
Played the Wii U some more today and remembered some details I wanted to share in this thread.

Nintendo Network ID creation is required before playing any game on the system. This is a simple process requiring entrance of a username, date of birth, email address-the usual. A confirmation code is then sent to your email which you type on the Game Pad. From there you're good to go. Of course everyone using the system in your house can have a separate account.

My only gripe with games is the load screen before you start playing. I was wondering if this is a first time thing but after booting up New Super Mario Bros. U for a second go tonight, it appears this load screen occurs before every play session. It's nothing major-30 seconds-but worth noting nonetheless.

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
I still haven't updated my Wii U because my internet only runs at 64kb/s on good days (<i>and no, I can't upgrade</i>).
But I still have had more fun with the Wii-U than I have had with any game system ever. The second controller screen is most definitely one of the best innovations in gaming history. My family spent Thanksgiving battling each other in Nintendo Land, and I can't remember the last time I had so much fun!

In my eyes, this console has already been worth the $350 I spent on it, and I look forward to getting more games to play on it. (=

Toyed around with Miiverse some more and it is one of the mot fluid online systems ever created. If you're on the fence about a Wii U, know that Nintendo finally got online right. Adding friends is simple just like on Xbox Live and PSN and your voice is heard through the various game communities. I'm surprised by how easy giving feedback is. I wrote on the ZombiU community wall if the game was worth it and received four replies within 20 minutes. You're also able to "Yeah" (like) posts you agree with.

New Super Mario Bros. U is a worthwhile purchase as well. Not only is it gorgeous with a plethora of new enemies and animations but Miiverse integration is every good as it should be. For example, you're prompted to type a comment after collecting three Star Coins or clearing a course without taking damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom