• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo I just don't get it.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
What variety? Seems to me like it's the same old crap as always. The only game that's different is Breath of the Wild, and you can get that game on the Wii U.

Based on the E3 showcase, all we're really getting is platformer, platformer, and more platformer. What about us Animal Crossing fans? What about us Kid Icarus: Uprising fans? Come on Nintendo, bring something remotely interesting to the table. Please.

We got a kart racer (granted it's a remake), some fighting games (again, one is a remake, but Arms came as a seemingly good IP), open world adventure, some turn based RPGs coming (Mario and Rabbids look weird as hell, but pretty sure DQ X and Xenioblades 2 are both coming early next year, a 3rd person shooter (I think that's what you'd classify Splatoon 2 as?) , various puzzle games (Snipperclipz looked neat), and yes, some platformers, though some are 2D (upcoming Sonic Mania release, Shovel Knight, Yoshi and Kirby are coming), and I guess we can just put Yooka Laylee and Mario Odyssey together as 3D platformers, but it's not really clear if both will be collectathons. Odyssey does appear to be deviating from recent Mario games though, and I think that's neat. I'm not really sure what Prime 4 would be categorized as? Exploration, or FPS? I'm not entirely familiar with the series, the announcement alone has a ton of people excited at least and I hope it does well.

I'd love to see some more Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus though. Both games were easily some of my favorites on the 3DS.

What I'm getting at is, we're getting a good bit here, we just have to be a bit patient. This certainly seems to be better handled than the Wii and Wii U as far as first party launch dates go, and we're seeing some okay cross-platform games hitting the Switch, which feels like it has been a while for Nintendo.

I'm hopeful that Nintendo will deliver on the Switch, and it seems rather promising to me, but I could be wrong. I never got a Wii U, but did enjoy the time I did play one, there just wasn't much there, and even the eshop sort of stunk on the Wii U.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
We got a kart racer (granted it's a remake), some fighting games (again, one is a remake, but Arms came as a seemingly good IP), open world adventure, some turn based RPGs coming (Mario and Rabbids look weird as hell, but pretty sure DQ X and Xenioblades 2 are both coming early next year, a 3rd person shooter (I think that's what you'd classify Splatoon 2 as?) , various puzzle games (Snipperclipz looked neat), and yes, some platformers, though some are 2D (upcoming Sonic Mania release, Shovel Knight, Yoshi and Kirby are coming), and I guess we can just put Yooka Laylee and Mario Odyssey together as 3D platformers, but it's not really clear if both will be collectathons. Odyssey does appear to be deviating from recent Mario games though, and I think that's neat. I'm not really sure what Prime 4 would be categorized as? Exploration, or FPS? I'm not entirely familiar with the series, the announcement alone has a ton of people excited at least and I hope it does well.

I'd love to see some more Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus though. Both games were easily some of my favorites on the 3DS.

What I'm getting at is, we're getting a good bit here, we just have to be a bit patient. This certainly seems to be better handled than the Wii and Wii U as far as first party launch dates go, and we're seeing some okay cross-platform games hitting the Switch, which feels like it has been a while for Nintendo.

I'm hopeful that Nintendo will deliver on the Switch, and it seems rather promising to me, but I could be wrong. I never got a Wii U, but did enjoy the time I did play one, there just wasn't much there, and even the eshop sort of stunk on the Wii U.

I agree that the promotion and handling of the Switch is better than the Wii U, but not by very much. It's a very, very tiny difference. Yeah, we have a big Zelda title and a big Mario one coming up, but to me, it's still not enough because...it lacks games! They're either remakes or the same thing we've seen before, just with a different number or title slapped onto it.

Why is the Switch better?

• Better SDK than the WiiU had
  • Nintendo is really doing everything now it can to court the 3rd parties
  • Ease to port games to Switch has been mentioned a lot, a lot easier than in the Switch
  • Tablet like portability
  • Good motion controls, unlike the Wiimote
  • Nintendo learned Unreal and Unity specifically to help 3rd parties using those engines for switch games and ports
  • Nintendo properly advertised what the Switch is at launch unlike the poor launch advertising for the WiiU
  • No early droughts of quality games like the WiiU had
  • The Switch had a console selling game at launch, the WiiU did not

There is more but that's all I can think of now.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Considering I greatly prefer handheld games, and I will never by an Xbox or a PS4 for as long as I live, the Switch is the obvious choice for me. It's a great system so far. It's barely been out a few months; seems waaaaay too premature to think it won't do well. The games coming on the horizon for just this year alone look to be a strong line up, and it's only the first year. And anything that the Xbox and PS4 have I will greatly prefer to play it on the Switch, because the Switch is also a handheld and I'll take handheld over being stuck at a TV any day of the week.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Well: first off. You are comparing the first 7 months of the Switch, compared to a 4 year old console.

Yeah. BotW was available on Wii U, and MK8 deluxe was also a Wii U game. Those were the two starter titles of the Switches lifespan.

But ARMS just released 4 days ago. Splatoon is releasing next month. Mario X Rabbids is releasing the month after that. Then we have Pokken DX for September.... And then we have Mario Odyssey. And then we have Fire Emblem Warriors, and then we have Xenoblade 2.

The first seven months of the Switches life, is far more varied than the Wii U's first 7 months. Where with the Wii U.... They had Nintendo Land..... And NSMBU..... The Switch had a far greater starting lineup than the Wii U, because it actually has games that are attractive. Within the first 7 months of the Switches life, we have a mainline Zelda and a mainline Mario title.... You really, cannot do better than that in terms of IP.

Plus: Animal Crossing is likely coming next year along with the mobile title. And for 2018 we already have Fire Emblem, Kirby and Yoshi games lined up. And for maaaaybe 2018, but perhaps later, we have Metroid Prime 4, something the Wii U never had, and a true Pokemon RPG.
I agree that the promotion and handling of the Switch is better than the Wii U, but not by very much. It's a very, very tiny difference. Yeah, we have a big Zelda title and a big Mario one coming up, but to me, it's still not enough because...it lacks games! They're either remakes or the same thing we've seen before, just with a different number or title slapped onto it.
What about Splatoon 2, which does a lot more to justify it being a true sequel. Or even better yet, an entirely new IP in ARMS which literally just released? Or if that doesn't tickle your fancy, then we have Mario X Rabbids, which is completely unique, and something Nintendo has never done before with its collaborations.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Its a both-er home console and a portable which you couldnt get with WiiU i dont think....

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
What caused the Wii U to fail was partially its severe lack of titles, specifically in relation to the PS4 and XBOX One's vast third-party libraries. The Wii U also lacked in first-party games, despite that being one of the successes of the Wii (many of my favorite and the most memorable Nintendo games were on the Wii). I think Nintendo needs to either expand their library of third-party titles, or focus as much energy as possible into creating high-quality first-party titles frequently for the Switch to succeed. Personally, while I want to play BotW, that is just about the only reason to buy a switch, at this moment in time at least. I would need another enticing game or two on the horizon to justify the investment.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Well: first off. You are comparing the first 7 months of the Switch, compared to a 4 year old console.

Yeah. BotW was available on Wii U, and MK8 deluxe was also a Wii U game. Those were the two starter titles of the Switches lifespan.

But ARMS just released 4 days ago. Splatoon is releasing next month. Mario X Rabbids is releasing the month after that. Then we have Pokken DX for September.... And then we have Mario Odyssey. And then we have Fire Emblem Warriors, and then we have Xenoblade 2.

The first seven months of the Switches life, is far more varied than the Wii U's first 7 months. Where with the Wii U.... They had Nintendo Land..... And NSMBU..... The Switch had a far greater starting lineup than the Wii U, because it actually has games that are attractive. Within the first 7 months of the Switches life, we have a mainline Zelda and a mainline Mario title.... You really, cannot do better than that in terms of IP.

Plus: Animal Crossing is likely coming next year along with the mobile title. And for 2018 we already have Fire Emblem, Kirby and Yoshi games lined up. And for maaaaybe 2018, but perhaps later, we have Metroid Prime 4, something the Wii U never had, and a true Pokemon RPG.

What about Splatoon 2, which does a lot more to justify it being a true sequel. Or even better yet, an entirely new IP in ARMS which literally just released? Or if that doesn't tickle your fancy, then we have Mario X Rabbids, which is completely unique, and something Nintendo has never done before with its collaborations.

To each his own, I suppose. I still don't see the quality of the games being very good, as they just feel like repeats or add-ons to previous titles. If I want extra content, I want DLC, not an entirely new game. It's an obvious cash grab.

Also I prefer games I can play on my own and invest a lot of time in. BotW does that for sure, and I can see that being the case with Mario Odyssey was well. But as for the other games, they lack longevity. Party/multiplayer games tend to get old really fast, and they can be very repetitive. I feel the same way about platformers.

The Switch is by no means a bad idea, but it was poorly executed and appeals to only a small demographic: children and people who want portibility/heavy focus on multiplayer. I just think most people would prefer having a simple home console. I can't see myself using it outside of my home anyways. It's just too expensive, and if it got damaged or lost, you not only lose your portable system, you lose your home.console too.

I think most gamers enjoy the comfort of having a home console that uses the TV and that's it. I understand people like portability as well, but...it seems like the Switch only appeals to people who do, and people who like the same old thing Nintendo has been pushing for years.

Breath of the Wild gained some new fans for Nintendo in my opinion, but the lack of games (SINGLE player games) is not enough to hold their attention.

As for third party games, the hardware for the Switch is lacking, so anyone interested in those is better off getting an Xbox or PS4, because those consoles are able to make those games run smoothly. Not to mention they look better as well, with less frame rate issues.

The Switch is a system with so much potential, but with the way things are going, Nintendo is NOT going to be able to allow the Switch to reach it's full potential. And that is because they: Are pushing out old, overdone content that people will eventually grow tired of, AND they will make the same mistake they made with the Wii U: lack of variety. Not all of us want Mario. Hell, not everyone wants Zelda. The only way for the Switch to be a true success is this: Give. The. People. More.

Enough with the cash grabs. Enough with the remakes. Give people what they want. Give them variety. But it's not about the people. It's about Nintendo making a buck.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
To each his own, I suppose. I still don't see the quality of the games being very good, as they just feel like repeats or add-ons to previous titles. If I want extra content, I want DLC, not an entirely new game. It's an obvious cash grab.
ARMS? Mario X Rabbids? I am pretty sure none of these games have ever even been conceptualized they way they are on. Plus FE Warriors is original as well, for a musou title.
Also I prefer games I can play on my own and invest a lot of time in. BotW does that for sure, and I can see that being the case with Mario Odyssey was well. But as for the other games, they lack longevity. Party/multiplayer games tend to get old really fast, and they can be very repetitive. I feel the same way about platformers.
And that is completely fine. This year, you have Mario and Zelda, plus Mario + Rabbids, and Fire Emblem Warriors.
The Switch is by no means a bad idea, but it was poorly executed and appeals to only a small demographic: children and people who want portibility/heavy focus on multiplayer. I just think most people would prefer having a simple home console. I can't see myself using it outside of my home anyways. It's just too expensive, and if it got damaged or lost, you not only lose your portable system, you lose your home.console too.

I think most gamers enjoy the comfort of having a home console that uses the TV and that's it. I understand people like portability as well, but...it seems like the Switch only appeals to people who do, and people who like the same old thing Nintendo has been pushing for years.
I am going to completely call you out on this one. You are 100% wrong on this.
If the Switch wasn't appealing to only a small demographic, it would not be currently selling as well as the Nintendo Wii. Switch has insane appeal to a lot of gamers, particularly my demographic: College Students. That much is indeed clear throughout Nintendo's marketing. You are also failing to see that Home Consoles are completely done in Japan. They are dead. The Japanese audience only plays handheld games now.
As for taking it on the go. It's fine if you don't want to take it on the go, but I myself have seen many people take their Switches with them. On the Metra to Chicago, for example. So obviously, your tastes do not align with this. But yeah. People do take their Switch on the go, even if it is in their own home. I do take my Switch on the go as well, and it actually has been a main talking point for a lot of my college friends who have never really been that into Nintendo.
Breath of the Wild gained some new fans for Nintendo in my opinion, but the lack of games (SINGLE player games) is not enough to hold their attention.
Let's see... Breath of the Wild. Mario Odyssey. Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario X Rabbids, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces, Skyrim, Disagea 5, Dragon Quest 11, Dragon Quest Heroes. You may not personally be into these titles: but to say that there is a lack of single player games this is a fallacy.
As for third party games, the hardware for the Switch is lacking, so anyone interested in those is better off getting an Xbox or PS4, because those consoles are able to make those games run smoothly. Not to mention they look better as well, with less frame rate issues.
People will get third party games on the Switch for portability alone. That is why people bought Mariokart 8 deluxe. Plus, the fact that almost nobody had a Wii U, and the Switch is many Nintendo fans coming back from the Wii U. For example, for Sonic Mania, the Switch version is superior because it is portable, and has graphical parody with all of the other consoles. That's also why people are clamoring for localization of Monster Hunter XX. Among other things: the Switch doesn't have the raw horsepower to match the XBO and PS4 yes..... But the Switch is the most powerful handheld that a console manufacturer has made so far. That is why we are getting UR4 titles to the Switch, and that's why Square Enix is heavily supporting this console.
The Switch is a system with so much potential, but with the way things are going, Nintendo is NOT going to be able to allow the Switch to reach it's full potential. And that is because they: Are pushing out old, overdone content that people will eventually grow tired of, AND they will make the same mistake they made with the Wii U: lack of variety. Not all of us want Mario. Hell, not everyone wants Zelda. The only way for the Switch to be a true success is this: Give. The. People. More.

Enough with the cash grabs. Enough with the remakes. Give people what they want. Give them variety. But it's not about the people. It's about Nintendo making a buck.
I mean, as of right now.... The Switch is already at maximum potential for what it is. I mean, the whole dang system is sold out in America and in Japan. Fans seem to be pretty content, outside of a few outliers such as yourself, and there is a lot of great games coming. These games might not be your forte, no. That's fine. But to say that the system is a failure just because there are no games that directly appeal to you, and you alone is nonsense. The Switch is doing great so far, and the release schedule for the Switch is quite healthy, with at least one big release a month until the rest of the year. That is more titles than they have released for the Wii U and 3DS combined last year. And if no games appeal to you: that's fine. Not every game has to. Just wait until more titles come out that you enjoy, and these games are likely coming next year as well. Wait for Pokemon Switch, Metroid Prime 4, FE Switch, Smash Switch, and the like. Nintendo's release schedule is just fine, and they have a healthy amount of new content even. Even more new titles per year than the Wii U any year in any of its lifespan, if we go title by title(Made by Nintendo or exclusive 3rd Parties. No ports, and nothing available on other consoles).
Switch 2017 versus Wii U 2013 said:
Wii U: Switch:
Super Mario 3D World ----- Super Mario Odyssey
Pikmin 3 ------ ARMS
Wonderful 101 ------ Splatoon 2
Lego City Undercover ----- Super Bomberman R
Wii Party U ----- 1,2 Switch
Sonic Lost World ----- Snipperclips
Game & Wario ----- Fire Emblem Warriors
New Super Luigi U ----- Xenoblade 2
---------------- Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Switch 2017 versus Wii U 2014 said:
Wii U: Switch:
Smash for Wii U ------ Super Mario Odyssey
Hyrule Warriors ----- ARMS
Mariokart 8 ----- Splatoon 2
Bayonetta 2 ------ Super Bomberman R.
DKC: Tropical Freeze ------ 1,2 Switch
Captain Toad ------ Snipperclips
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric(lol) -------Fire Emblem Warriors
------------------------------ Xenoblade 2
------------------------------ Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle

So: even in its first year. Switch manages to have more titles compared to the Wii U's supposed "best years", with the highest amount of titles releasing. The games may not appeal to you: but they certainly appeal to other people, and I am not even considering titles like BotW, Mariokart 8 Deluxe, and Pokken because they were on Wii U(however, a grand majority of people never owned a Wii U to even play these games. These ports were just icing on the cake). So if you hadn't got a Switch yet. Why don't you just wait until more games that are up your alley. If you already have a Switch, why don't you grab some other games to play in the meantime? I myself would highly recommend Thumper, and definitely get Stardew Valley when it comes out(plus Sonic Mania will be really good as well).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
ARMS? Mario X Rabbids? I am pretty sure none of these games have ever even been conceptualized they way they are on. Plus FE Warriors is original as well, for a musou title

FE is also on the 3DS.
They have already stated they aren't intending to replace the 3DS with the Switch. It is is hard to tell at this early stage but if this becomes a trend again as it was for the Wii U they will be hurting their own sales.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
FE is also on the 3DS.
They have already stated they aren't intending to replace the 3DS with the Switch. It is is hard to tell at this early stage but if this becomes a trend again as it was for the Wii U they will be hurting their own sales.
Persona 5 is also on PS3... That, along with many titles came to both PS3 and PS4: and they were often the exact same games. That didn't cause any problems with sales. Furthermore, Nintendo also did this exact same thing with the DS, right after the 3DS is released. And releasing BotW on Wii U didn't hurt the Switch did it?

The problem between Wii U and 3DS, is the mind boggling choices to make Wii U games have more "handheld elements". I mean, if a random person took a look at Super Mario 3D Land, and Super Mario 3D World in single player, they would think its pretty much the exact same game. Smash was the exact same game as well. Ect. And ect. People would never mistake, say A Link Between Worlds, or OoT3D, and BotW for example. However, the Wii U did not do well, well merely because it was not a lucrative machine hardware wise. Switch undeniably is.

There is no historical reasoning that supporting older consoles, along with new ones truly effect sales. In fact, many could see it as a good thing. As the inverse is extremely harmful. Nintendo dropping the Wii so quickly, was very detrimental to losing public favor to the "Wii" brand. No one was talking about the Wii since there simply weren't that many new games. Gradually weaning players off the old console, is really one of the best things to do.

Especially as Switch shortages are getting taken care of, people still have pretty good games coming to the 3DS. Nintendo can only make so many Switches now because of flash storage shortages(which Apple has the monopoly on). It makes sense to keep making some 3DS games, and make both Switch and 3DS fans happy with their purchase.

But do not get me wrong: as soon as Pokemon comes to Switch in 2018-2019.... The 3DS is done. That's going to be the final nail on the coffin, and a good send off for a great console.

Persona 5 is also on PS3... That, along with many titles came to both PS3 and PS4: and they were often the exact same games.
That's the issue. They were the exact same games (performance issues on older hardware excepted). Here are two reasons to justify this.

1. Having WiiU or Switch games features watered down to match what the 3DS can do is not a good thing. This removes features from the TV version of the game. Ice Climbers not in SSB4 because of the 3DS is the prime example here.
2. Having one version of the game have better features that the other version could and should have had. Hyrule Warriors is the prime example of this. The 3DS version had more features and mroe content that the WiiU version did not, and this upset (rightfully so) those with the WiiU version of the game.

If we are talking the same base game, just looking prettier on the TV console, then that's cool, everyone can handle that. It's portability vs prettier graphics and better frame rates. People then just pick the version they will play more of.
If we are taking different base games as explained in my above points numbered 1 and 2 then the public will not be happy. The choice then is always a compromise. Do you want better frame rates or more game content? Tough choice to make. Or does the developer say "nah just let the TV version suffer" as like what happened with SSB4.

The PS3/PS4 dual versions didn't hurt PS4 sales because they were the same base game.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
But do not get me wrong: as soon as Pokemon comes to Switch in 2018-2019.... The 3DS is done. That's going to be the final nail on the coffin, and a good send off for a great console.

The 3DS will never be "done". And if it ever actually is done because of the Switch, then I am done with Nintendo, because that just proves to me they choose money over their fans. (As well as lack of quality.)

As for your other arguments, I agree that the games are not bad. They look very fun. The only problem with them is that most of them lack longevity. I couldn't see myself or anyone else spending an extraordinary amount of time on games like Splatoon 2 or Arms.

When comparing the Switch to other systems, it's a matter of portability vs. quality. The Switch does not offer quality hardware but it does offer portability, and some gamers prefer that, and that's fine...but...I just feel as if the quality of the console itself and it's games are lacking in a day and age where it shouldn't.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The 3DS will never be "done". And if it ever actually is done because of the Switch, then I am done with Nintendo, because that just proves to me they choose money over their fans. (As well as lack of quality.)

As for your other arguments, I agree that the games are not bad. They look very fun. The only problem with them is that most of them lack longevity. I couldn't see myself or anyone else spending an extraordinary amount of time on games like Splatoon 2 or Arms.

When comparing the Switch to other systems, it's a matter of portability vs. quality. The Switch does not offer quality hardware but it does offer portability, and some gamers prefer that, and that's fine...but...I just feel as if the quality of the console itself and it's games are lacking in a day and age where it shouldn't.

I wouldnt blame the big N entirely for their current direction. Though making the best quality products should be a priority for them Fans have encouraged them to become the way they are, spreading their butt cheeks for Nintendo's ****ing. It is them supporting all the rehashes and one minute wonder titles with little longevity. Until people speak up and start complaining, nothing will change.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I wouldnt blame the big N entirely for their current direction. Fans are also to blame for spreading their butt cheeks for Nintendos ****ing. It is them supporting all the rehashes and one minute wonder titles with little longevity. Until people speak up and start complaining, nothing will change.

I wholeheartedly agree. I do see a lot of complaints about it, the problem is people are still dumb enough to keep throwing their money away for it. And since it mostly appeals to a younger audience, you have dumb parents who think it's all brand new.

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom