• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo I just don't get it.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this, (already have for the most part) but I just don't get what's so great about the Switch, and I don't understand why Nintendo fans consider it to be better than the Wii U and are willing to pay money for it despite the lack of games.

My main complaint is the lack of games. We have Zelda (which quite frankly, is the only reason people are getting the Switch, Nintendo fan or not), Mario Kart, and a few other third party titles that ALREADY exist on other consoles and have for a long time.

Now, a lot of people give the excuse that, "Well for those who didn't have a Wii U they can now play these older games on Switch." I agree that the Switch is the better option, IF you're new to the Nintendo fanbase. But I just feel as if us loyal fans who have followed Nintendo and purchased their new systems for the last few decades are being cheated.

Why do I want to buy a system with almost nothing to play? And my only 'new' options aren't even anything I'm interested in?

Nintendo lacks variety. And it is shameful.

I'm not a big fan of Mario, and it's awesome for those who are into it because of Odyssey coming out, but Nintendo continues to neglect the fans of their other franchises.

Nintendo continuously tries to be innovative with their systems, therefore they fail to be innovative when it comes to their games. It's disappointing. It's as if the last of their creative energy went into Breath of the Wild.

Maybe this issue upsets me so much because...I take it personally. Nintendo has been my favorite company since I was young, but it just feels as if they don't care about the loyal fans and only cater to a younger audience.

Moving on, we saw the Metroid reveal at E3. Pretty exciting, but not exciting enough to get me to buy a Switch.

So how do you feel about the Nintendo Switch? Would you consider it a success or a failure?

Mido

Version 1
I think the first thing to remember here, at least in respect to the Switch's long-term success is that it is too soon to say whether it's a success or failure. It has sold quite well as far as I know, so in this respect, the console's future bodes well. Now there are a few things you've said that are interesting, which I want to address.

My main complaint is the lack of games. We have Zelda (which quite frankly, is the only reason people are getting the Switch, Nintendo fan or not), Mario Kart, and a few other third party titles that ALREADY exist on other consoles and have for a long time.

Now, a lot of people give the excuse that, "Well for those who didn't have a Wii U they can now play these older games on Switch." I agree that the Switch is the better option, IF you're new to the Nintendo fanbase. But I just feel as if us loyal fans who have followed Nintendo and purchased their new systems for the last few decades are being cheated.

This is true in terms of Nintendo's big-name titles. The launch depended nearly solely on BOTW, but beyond that, there isn't much meat on the table. This is mainly why I haven't bought one yet, and since I have a Wii U, the rereleases that further slap the U's legacy in the face to some degree don't matter to me. I'm still a tad upset about it, but at the same time, I can understand why Nintendo has been doing this, so it's not a huge concern of mine anymore.

I wouldn't say Nintendo lacks variety, they just don't utilize said variety to its fullest potential. And as for waiting for something you like, I suppose it's the unfortunate exercise in patience. I don't mean to excuse Nintendo for this sort of thing, but it seems to be the unfortunate reality. Nintendo usually has thrown its support towards its big guns like Mario and Zelda, and understandably so. It's especially frustrating when we get games like SFZ, where a ten-year wait crashed and burned in many respects. But I digress.

I'm not a big fan of Mario, and it's awesome for those who are into it because of Odyssey coming out, but Nintendo continues to neglect the fans of their other franchises

Now, as a fan of the Mario series, and someone who hasn't played a 3D Mario since Sunshine, I am supremely excited for Odyssey, and will likely be the selling point for myself making the switch. And as far as series neglect goes, as a sad, sad Star Fox fan, I can understand that. It's a shame to see many a Nintendo series with ripe potential cast off to the wayside, forgotten for the most part. This is why I think it's great to see so much happiness amount Metroid fans with its hopeful grand return to the spotlight. I won't go too much into this as I talked about Zero in my previous paragraph, but in short, you're right.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I think the first thing to remember here, at least in respect to the Switch's long-term success is that it is too soon to say whether it's a success or failure. It has sold quite well as far as I know, so in this respect, the console's future bodes well. Now there are a few things you've said that are interesting, which I want to address.

This is true in terms of Nintendo's big-name titles. The launch depended nearly solely on BOTW, but beyond that, there isn't much meat on the table. This is mainly why I haven't bought one yet, and since I have a Wii U, the rereleases that further slap the U's legacy in the face to some degree don't matter to me. I'm still a tad upset about it, but at the same time, I can understand why Nintendo has been doing this, so it's not a huge concern of mine anymore.

I wouldn't say Nintendo lacks variety, they just don't utilize said variety to its fullest potential. And as for waiting for something you like, I suppose it's the unfortunate exercise in patience. I don't mean to excuse Nintendo for this sort of thing, but it seems to be the unfortunate reality. Nintendo usually has thrown its support towards its big guns like Mario and Zelda, and understandably so. It's especially frustrating when we get games like SFZ, where a ten-year wait crashed and burned in many respects. But I digress.

Now, as a fan of the Mario series, and someone who hasn't played a 3D Mario since Sunshine, I am supremely excited for Odyssey, and will likely be the selling point for myself making the switch. And as far as series neglect goes, as a sad, sad Star Fox fan, I can understand that. It's a shame to see many a Nintendo series with ripe potential cast off to the wayside, forgotten for the most part. This is why I think it's great to see so much happiness amount Metroid fans with its hopeful grand return to the spotlight. I won't go too much into this as I talked about Zero in my previous paragraph, but in short, you're right.

I became a Zelda fan around...2003 I think? And I remember as a kid it felt like forever waiting for the next Zelda title. I think they push Mario a bit too much (I know, I know, he's the mascot but still) and they still wait a bit too long in between Zelda games in my opinion. Guess I'm just very impatient! :P lol

Mido

Version 1
I became a Zelda fan around...2003 I think? And I remember as a kid it felt like forever waiting for the next Zelda title. I think they push Mario a bit too much (I know, I know, he's the mascot but still) and they still wait a bit too long in between Zelda games in my opinion. Guess I'm just very impatient! :P lol

With Nintendo, I'd say it's okay to be impatient! :cool: Usually Nintendo does such a good job with their stuff that we just want to see more good stuff! Heck, before Star Fox Zero was released, especially around the 2010-2012 years, I spent hours thinking about where the series would go next, so when the reboot was confirmed, I was none too happy! As far as Mario goes, while his games can get over-saturated (New Super Mario Bros), I still always appreciate the level of consistency the series always delivers, even if the act can get stale. I suppose I should consider myself fortunate I've been away from the 3D Mario front for so long. Perhaps I wouldn't be so excited for Odyssey then.

Its a bit too early to deem it a failure or success but it appears to be doing way better than the WiiU which was a commercial failure and only sold 14million in 5 years, and i bet most of that 14million had long traded in their WiiU long before the Switch was still the NX.

I know how you feel but i felt how you feel about the Switch for the Wii. The motion control gimmick didnt impress me. I got a Wii a year before the WiiU came out. By then there were a lot of 'must have games' but i didnt like most of them.

Twilight Princess Wii- to me,having played the GC version, was an abomination.

I didnt like Mario Galaxy 1&2 or Mario Kart.

Other M single handedly destroyed the entire series for me by embracing Sakamoto's true vision after the passing of Gunpei Yokoi.

I preferred DKC Returns on 3DS...

And Skyward Sword was crap.

Kirby Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii was the only game on Wii i enjoyed.

For the Switch... i never undock it so rhe gimmick of it being a hybrid handheld doesnt mean anything to me. The games have more going for them IMO when compared to the Wii. I like BotW, i enjoyed the Arms testpunch, i like Splatoon, Mario Odyssey (for the first time since 64) looks like a Mario game i may enjoy. I like Warriors games so Fire Emblem Warriors will be fun for me. Rabbids × Mario looks like a good change of pace and that's just games for this year.

Its all down to taste. I got hate for disliking the Wii. So i know what its like for you if youre not keen on the Switch. You like what you like and dont let anyone tell you that you cant.

For me personally, i'm interested in what's coming to the Switch. I just hope Nintendo can keep the pace. Zelda and Mario being months apart on a launch year is insane. I worry that they may blow their best titles too early on since its rare recently to get more than one game from each IP on the same console.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
With Nintendo, I'd say it's okay to be impatient! :cool: Usually Nintendo does such a good job with their stuff that we just want to see more good stuff! Heck, before Star Fox Zero was released, especially around the 2010-2012 years, I spent hours thinking about where the series would go next, so when the reboot was confirmed, I was none too happy! As far as Mario goes, while his games can get over-saturated (NSM:cool:, I still always appreciate the level of consistency the series always delivers, even if the act can get stale. I suppose I should consider myself fortunate I've been away from the 3D Mario front for so long. Perhaps I wouldn't be so excited for Odyssey then.

Odyssey actually looks pretty great. I loved the 3D Mario games when I was younger, but I've slowly lost interest in them. It's another game that looks fun to me, but it's still not enough to buy a system for.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this, (already have for the most part) but I just don't get what's so great about the Switch, and I don't understand why Nintendo fans consider it to be better than the Wii U and are willing to pay money for it despite the lack of games.

Why do I want to buy a system with almost nothing to play? And my only 'new' options aren't even anything I'm interested in?

I'm not a big fan of Mario, and it's awesome for those who are into it because of Odyssey coming out, but Nintendo continues to neglect the fans of their other franchises.

Nintendo continuously tries to be innovative with their systems, therefore they fail to be innovative when it comes to their games. It's disappointing. It's as if the last of their creative energy went into Breath of the Wild.

Maybe this issue upsets me so much because...I take it personally. Nintendo has been my favorite company since I was young, but it just feels as if they don't care about the loyal fans and only cater to a younger audience.

Moving on, we saw the Metroid reveal at E3. Pretty exciting, but not exciting enough to get me to buy a Switch.

So how do you feel about the Nintendo Switch? Would you consider it a success or a failure?

Nintendo lost me as a fan when they put out the **** machine that was the Wii Poo. Not only underpowered compared to the competition but had a very limited selection of games. Not even an exclusive Zelda. It's sales reflect how **** it, its game selection and marketing strategy was.

I bought the Switch only to play the best version of Breath of The Wild and it turns out that it doesn't even run as well.

I made a thread called the Switch is DOOMED. It seems to be doing better than Wii U did already but I think it will hit a plateau soon. For the reasons I put in my thread.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Nintendo lost me as a fan when they put out the **** machine that was the Wii Poo. Not only underpowered compared to the competition but had a very limited selection of games. Not even an exclusive Zelda. It's sales reflect how **** it, its game selection and marketing strategi was

I bought the Switch only to play the best version of Breath of The Wild and it turns out that it doesn't even run as well.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( It's nice to see someone else who thinks Nintendo's marketing moves are crap too though

Reactions: Dio
D

Deleted member 14134

I don't get it either, especially in Canada where they're charging $400 for the least powerful console on the market, $10 dollars extra for a controller that is missing features and $100 for super mario odyssey compared to the $80 that games in Canada are right now. I really can't justify buying a console that expensive that is underpowered and still missing several features that have been considered staples in the game industry for years now. I won't be getting a switch for years until the price drops and the bugs are worked out of the system. As for it selling, I'm sure it'll really take off when Pokemon comes out, it seemed to work for the 3DS and probably would of worked if they released a game on the Wii U.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I don't get it either, especially in Canada where they're charging $400 for the least powerful console on the market, $10 dollars extra for a controller that is missing features and $100 for super mario odyssey compared to the $80 that games in Canada are right now. I really can't justify buying a console that expensive that is underpowered and still missing several features that have been considered staples in the game industry for years now. I won't be getting a switch for years until the price drops and the bugs are worked out of the system. As for it selling, I'm sure it'll really take off when Pokemon comes out, it seemed to work for the 3DS and probably would of worked if they released a game on the Wii U.

I'm interested to see what this Pokemon RPG will be. Knowing Nintendo, it will probably be another remake.

D

Deleted member 14134

I'm interested to see what this Pokemon RPG will be. Knowing Nintendo, it will probably be another remake.
If Nintendo's smart (which really is questionable) it'll be a new stand alone title that won't be available for handheld in any way. I honestly think the best move for them would be to make "gen 8" exclusive on the switch as it would force people to buy a switch if they wanted to play it. I'm sure alot of people would be upset over that but Nintendo seems to be the abusive husband to it's fans that they just can't let go of for some reason.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
If Nintendo's smart (which really is questionable) it'll be a new stand alone title that won't be available for handheld in any way. I honestly think the best move for them would be to make "gen 8" exclusive on the switch as it would force people to buy a switch if they wanted to play it. I'm sure alot of people would be upset over that but Nintendo seems to be the abusive husband to it's fans that they just can't let go of for some reason.

Hahaha perfect analogy

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
What is the DEAL with the Nintendo™ Switch®???

ngbbs4d87cc69c60cb.jpg

I can understand Wii U owners being a bit upset with how Nintendo abandoned the console, but I'm still hopeful for the Switch. I think the upcoming titles look like more than enough to sell the system, and I think they're already giving us some solid system sellers this year with BOTW and Mario. Arms, Splatoon 2, and MK8 sort of boost the lineup more, and I think most people could confidently purchase the system now and be okay.

I think there's a good bit of variety with the system already, and it's looking like we'll get more by this time next year. I'm sure Metroid Prime 4 and the upcoming Pokemon game will add more to the Switch's portfolio.

I think it's too soon to really call this a failure, the Switch is just hitting the ground, and so far, it seems to be running at a decent pace. I think the mobile aspect appeals to a decent amount of people (even if they don't take it outside of the house) and their upcoming games look promising. We're getting a taste of what third parties want to bring to the system, and I figure that once that fleshes out more, more consumers will have confidence in the system.

Sorry Wii U.

SadWiiU.png

ospaX2F

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
What is the DEAL with the Nintendo™ Switch®???

ngbbs4d87cc69c60cb.jpg

I can understand Wii U owners being a bit upset with how Nintendo abandoned the console, but I'm still hopeful for the Switch. I think the upcoming titles look like more than enough to sell the system, and I think they're already giving us some solid system sellers this year with BOTW and Mario. Arms, Splatoon 2, and MK8 sort of boost the lineup more, and I think most people could confidently purchase the system now and be okay.

I think there's a good bit of variety with the system already, and it's looking like we'll get more by this time next year. I'm sure Metroid Prime 4 and the upcoming Pokemon game will add more to the Switch's portfolio.

I think it's too soon to really call this a failure, the Switch is just hitting the ground, and so far, it seems to be running at a decent pace. I think the mobile aspect appeals to a decent amount of people (even if they don't take it outside of the house) and their upcoming games look promising. We're getting a taste of what third parties want to bring to the system, and I figure that once that fleshes out more, more consumers will have confidence in the system.

Sorry Wii U.

SadWiiU.png

ospaX2F

What variety? Seems to me like it's the same old crap as always. The only game that's different is Breath of the Wild, and you can get that game on the Wii U.

Based on the E3 showcase, all we're really getting is platformer, platformer, and more platformer. What about us Animal Crossing fans? What about us Kid Icarus: Uprising fans? Come on Nintendo, bring something remotely interesting to the table. Please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom