• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I hope we have companion characters in the next game

Not a Navi like companion. Like someone who travels with you. BOTW was good but one thing I really wanted to do was travel with some people in such a lonely world. The next game you should be able to travel with a memeber who gives you advantages ( Zoras swim really fast, Ritos could fly you up a certain distance ). And you could upgrade them through armor and weapons. AI would have a dedicated button ( Up on the D-Pad ) and have a wheel on commands ( like follow me! or go there! ).

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I really wanted this in BotW. ST gave us amazingly fun gameplay with Zelda's teamwork. I've been craving more of that. I would have loved the option to team up with NPCs and go exploring together. Adventures are more fun when you've got companions to adventure with.

I think travelling alone in a lonely world was part of the point for BotW.

As for travelling with different races for buffs like flight etc, the armour and champion powers did that for us so we didnt need companions.

I wouldnt like companions in Zelda to come back so soon after just getting rid of them. The companions arent often well written either.

I like Link being alone so hope it stays that way for the next few games.

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Midna is the only worthwhile companion in the whole series. ST Zelda wouldn't work well outside of the confines of a very scripted dungeon focused adventure (like Spirit Tracks).

I loathe the idea of another companion in the series because Midna was such a fluke. Sidekick characters in general are usually a pita and ninty is the worst offender when it comes to obnoxious disruptive sidekicks. I mean, I was excited for Fi. After Midna I had no reason to expect ninty could screw that up. HOW DID YOU SCREW THIS UP NINTENDO????

So basically I don't trust ninty to make another companion character like Midna. The game would really have to need it and make good use of it. And at the end of the day, it isn't necessary. Link got by just fine until Navi came along. Player's don't need the help (so f@#% off Fi!) so a companion either has to enrich the narrative or add some manner of fun non-gimmicky gameplay mechanic to justify their existence. I don't think I'd mind just a simple mostly silent helper fairy again that is more like Tatl and less like Navi.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
That's a tricky question. If it means Nintendo keeps up with the anti-handholding, I'd much prefer it without. On the other hand, BotW did feel rather lonely sometimes, and a companion would help with that.

Honestly, both of those problems can be easily solved companion or no companion.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'd love if we had a companion character like Zelda from ST, cuz that was the ONE time a companion actually aided and abetted in links crimes ^^.

But seriously Phantom zelda was best companion just because she actually helped out, gives us a companion like that in a botw type of game. Or better yet multiple companions like that each one with their own unique skills that they can bring to it.

LINK CAN'T SAVE HYRULE ALONE ANYMORE!

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Like a Skyrim follower?

Not like that. A reliable friend at home who hooks you up with gear and tips but not a follower

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
No. No companions.

Aside from the usual complaints about companions being generally terrible, companions would take away from Breath of the Wild's isolationist feel. It's a decrepit, dying Hyrule that you explore alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom