• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I Have No Words for This...

Dan

News organisation blames games for violence, gamers claim that violent games have absolutely no impact on a persons behaviour (with the usual ridiculously exaggerated examples). The cycle is, once again, complete.

I think everyone needs to do a bit of growing up on this topic.

Nothing wrong with a little bit of fun ol'bean. ;p
Besides people were never violent before video games.

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
I sort of agree on this topic, and I sort of don't. It's debatable, really.

But before I start, I just want to ask how on Earth can Animal Crossing pass as being violent? Wii Sports, I get because of boxing it can be considered violent. But Animal Crossing? I mean, really, how? There's no blood. Not gore. No fighting even! There's nothing bad. Are they saying that because it's possible to smash your net into someone you don't like (not that I've done that before... :angel: )

Now back to the topic.

People usually debate that violent video games are bad. I 100% agree with that. Violent video games are bad. Yes. I know. I've played Zelda and Zelda is violent. I never liked how sometimes you can see the blood for a split second (TP), or whenever you attack those shell creatures in the Lakebed Temple (also TP) you get a few seconds of seeing it with it's tongue cut off. I don't really enjoy seeing that. But the overall game makes up for it.

What I don't agree on, is why people say that violent video games are bad. They say kids would play it and go and kill someone. No. I know there are some exceptions. A few people's minds have been indeed been - not altered - but "fed" by video games. It is possible to only play violent game like COD (never played it, never will, but I saw a guy playing it in school, and it was just pure disgusting) for the "thrill" but we're talking about psychopaths and people with really disgusting minds. And that's less than 1% of the population. For the rest, games are just games. I don't know why anyone would want to play games like COD though... I'm not saying that it would make you go and kill people. I'm just saying that why do you even want to play that? I'll go further later on. Anyways, but games like Zelda are fine.

So if I don't think games would make kids kill people, when why do I think games are bad? Let me ask you COD players out there. When was the last time you saw someone bleeding, and cringed? When was the last time you heard a story of - or even saw - someone being in pain, and felt your stomach ache so badly? I can happily say that that was just a few months ago. If I ever heard or saw anything like that again, I would still feel the pain. Like during class, my teacher was telling a story of when he fell into a pit and got his whole lower hand peeled off. And then it started swelling as there was something in it. He got sick of the swelling - and for some reason he doesn't even understand - he took a fork and dug it in the cut in the swelling. At that point, I couldn't hear any more of the story.

I feel like when someone is exposed to violence too much, then it sort of kills that pain which you are supposed to feel. It kills that part of your conscience. Every time you expose yourself to this, you are feeling less and less pain and empathy for the person in pain than you felt last time. And one day, you'll feel nothing. I have no proof that this actually happens. I really don't. It's just my theory. I don't know any COD players too well, and so I can't confirm this. But I feel like what I'm saying is correct. Every time you expose yourself to this, you are only hurting your ability to feel empathy.

So is this going to make you turn into Hitler and kill millions of innocent people for no reason? No. Not at all. But it's hurting yourself. And why would you ever want to do that to you?

With the whole topic of other forms of media like movies - the exact same applies there. If you expose yourself to too much violent - whether it be from movies of games or whatever - you'll turn into a hard person who has empathy problems.

Now please don't go on saying "oh, I play ___ and it's super violent, and I still care about people." because this process is slow. If you play for 10 years, you won't loose too much on your feeling of empathy. But if you only and only expose yourself on these things over a long time, then you will. Please don't do that to yourselves.

Should the government ban it? It's useless debating this. Because it's never going to happen. Like prohibition which only lasted a few years. But there should be some self restriction.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So if I don't think games would make kids kill people, when why do I think games are bad? Let me ask you COD players out there. When was the last time you saw someone bleeding, and cringed? When was the last time you heard a story of - or even saw - someone being in pain, and felt your stomach ache so badly? I can happily say that that was just a few months ago. If I ever heard or saw anything like that again, I would still feel the pain. Like during class, my teacher was telling a story of when he fell into a pit and got his whole lower hand peeled off. And then it started swelling as there was something in it. He got sick of the swelling - and for some reason he doesn't even understand - he took a fork and dug it in the cut in the swelling. At that point, I couldn't hear any more of the story.

I feel like when someone is exposed to violence too much, then it sort of kills that pain which you are supposed to feel. It kills that part of your conscience. Every time you expose yourself to this, you are feeling less and less pain and empathy for the person in pain than you felt last time. And one day, you'll feel nothing. I have no proof that this actually happens. I really don't. It's just my theory. I don't know any COD players too well, and so I can't confirm this. But I feel like what I'm saying is correct. Every time you expose yourself to this, you are only hurting your ability to feel empathy.
Asking me a question personally? Huh, thanks. ^^

When was the last time you saw someone bleeding, and cringed?
Yesterday - a friend pricked his thumb of ALL things and was bleeding only a bit.

When was the last time you heard a story of - or even saw - someone being in pain, and felt your stomach ache so badly?
Today with a girl being shot "to death" by her five year old brother.

Every time you expose yourself to this, you are only hurting your ability to feel empathy.
I don't think that's it. I think what you mean to say is sympathy. Exposure to this kinda stuff doesn't make you an unfeeling person. I think it makes it so you're just desensitized to it - that you don't relate to it and thus you aren't necessarily quick to say "I'm sorry for your loss" or things like that. I'm a CoD player - play it like every day alongside tons of other violent games - and I say that I definitely feel pain whether it's been inflicted to me or someone else, I'm just not so quick to say sorry or things like that. I understand the pain, but I don't necessarily comfort the victim because I lose the capability to do so. That's just me, though. I don't know about nor do I speak for others.

Eduarda

Asking me a question personally? Huh, thanks. ^^

When was the last time you saw someone bleeding, and cringed?
Yesterday - a friend pricked his thumb of ALL things and was bleeding only a bit.

When was the last time you heard a story of - or even saw - someone being in pain, and felt your stomach ache so badly?
Today with a girl being shot "to death" by her five year old brother.

Every time you expose yourself to this, you are only hurting your ability to feel empathy.
I don't think that's it. I think what you mean to say is sympathy. Exposure to this kinda stuff doesn't make you an unfeeling person. I think it makes it so you're just desensitized to it - that you don't relate to it and thus you aren't necessarily quick to say "I'm sorry for your loss" or things like that. I'm a CoD player - play it like every day alongside tons of other violent games - and I say that I definitely feel pain whether it's been inflicted to me or someone else, I'm just not so quick to say sorry or things like that. I understand the pain, but I don't necessarily comfort the victim because I lose the capability to do so. That's just me, though. I don't know about nor do I speak for others.

I'm sorry if my post above wasn't clear enough. "Desensitizing" is exactly what I mean. You aren't effected by these situations as much as you would have been. Is that a good thing or bad thing is debatable. Personally, I think it's bad.

But I guess that as you get older, you can't help but get exposed to such violence, and thus get desensitized by it. Have you ever seen a small 3 year old cry just because her sibling was also crying? As you grow up, you stop reacting so much to these. I guess it can't really be stopped.

But I think that playing video games/ watching movies that are violent speed up this process.

I'm glad that you still understand pain though. The day you don't will be the day you would lose your humanity.

Have you ever heard stories of people in war torn countries for years like Afghanistan? Or maybe countries with much poverty like the African countries. The people there have been exposed to these things their whole life. It's hardened them. Desensitized them to these sights.

I've give you a more personal example.

I was born in India but live in Canada right now. One day, my family friends came over. The discussion turned towards how often people get hit by cars. If you see someone hit by a car what would you do? Run to them, and help them, right? But this has become so common in India that people just glance at the person, and then walk away. They don't even try helping them. There are only few that do.

The father of that family who was over was talking about how he once saw a man under a train, his leg broken, and blood everywhere. He assumed that the man's pant had gotten caught in the train while he was leaving, and he went under. I was shocked as how calm the father of the family was when he was saying this. I couldn't believe it. I would have burst into tears if I was there.

This is an extreme case of what I am talking about. I hope such a thing will never happen here. But I gave you this example to let you know what I mean by this. And why it should be avoided.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is an extreme case of what I am talking about. I hope such a thing will never happen here. But I gave you this example to let you know what I mean by this. And why it should be avoided.

I mean no offense iwth this post so please do not take any.

However, I believe that violence is real. People die every day. In some parts of the world, it's nastier than what you see in video games, but all the more real. Some deaths are absolutely horrific. For that reason, I think it's important that people are hardened towards death and severe injuries. I'm not saying you should be uncaring - but that you can keep a level head regardless of circumstances. Crying typically weakens the person within that moment; if something drastic happens and you're bawling, you are not helping the person at all. In fact crying in that span of time may be a disservice which is not what they are looking for.

So, playing violent games may have a positive effect. It certainly has a positive effect on me: it shows me that there ARE crazy people out there who will do anything, even break honor codes to go after their sick things. Sometimes you have to fight violence with violence and have to come out on top. That is reality in many parts of the world. I'd hate for that to be reality in my corner of the world...but the fact remains that it DOES exist even in this day and age. We must be prepared for anything :yes:

Eduarda

I mean no offense iwth this post so please do not take any.

However, I believe that violence is real. People die every day. In some parts of the world, it's nastier than what you see in video games, but all the more real. Some deaths are absolutely horrific. For that reason, I think it's important that people are hardened towards death and severe injuries. I'm not saying you should be uncaring - but that you can keep a level head regardless of circumstances. Crying typically weakens the person within that moment; if something drastic happens and you're bawling, you are not helping the person at all. In fact crying in that span of time may be a disservice which is not what they are looking for.

So, playing violent games may have a positive effect. It certainly has a positive effect on me: it shows me that there ARE crazy people out there who will do anything, even break honor codes to go after their sick things. Sometimes you have to fight violence with violence and have to come out on top. That is reality in many parts of the world. I'd hate for that to be reality in my corner of the world...but the fact remains that it DOES exist even in this day and age. We must be prepared for anything :yes:

No offence taken ^^

I do agree on that fact that people should be aware of violence. We are aware of violence. Every one of us. Reading the news makes us know. Even in school we learn in History of what violence humans have done to one another. I personally believe that being aware of violence and being exposed to it to a point of necessarity is completely different.

*Casually scrolls through topic*

Wait, did this turn into an actual discussion?

First off, forms of violence exist everywhere. Football, Boxing, Slasher Movies, etc. are about every bit as violent as video games. If I see Jason merrily running about and murdering a few unwitting teens, I'm not going to be tempted to do same. That said, the media does have an effect on people, but this is assuming every human being in the world is a drooling moron. Yes, there are stupid people, but even the ones with minimal intelligence understand the dangers of violence, murder, and illegal activity.

Video games are a gateway towards fantasy - the key word being fantasy. Oh sure, we have photo-realistic-uber-gritty-epic-omgsauce-adult games that dimwitted parents label as "murder simulators", but they're not real. (Besides, murder, I would assume, is much more complicated than the press of a button) Furthermore, if we're going to blame video games as the bane of all evil in the world, then everything else is just as culpable. Anything can be learned from the internet nowadays with a simple Google search, even something as grotesque as at-home bomb construction. Are we going to run around in circles and extinguish the internet? No.

But remember that one kid that one time that did the one thing with that one gun to his parents? That was because his video game was taken away!

- No, that was because he was addicted, dependent, and most likely suffering from social anxiety or something. His parents didn't regulate his time on video games, assess his maturity for playing violent games, or simply think that their kid might be crazy. Some people are crazy by design, or, have a lot more emotional baggage than alluded to. (I.E Suicide victims? Psychotic murderers?)

Hell, let's take a gander at the real world since this is what eveything is applying towards apparently. Flip to the news channel and actual muders are carried out by actual people daily. Do I say to myself: "Hey look at the plan that guy used to kill someone! Man I should totally do that!" No, because violence is wrong. The same could be said for racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc. Just because one person does something doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to do the same.

The reason video games might be the source of violence are because they're a material good. People kill for money, people bash each others heads in over their favorite sports teams, people corrupt the government for power. It's not the content of video games that's, for the most part, bad, it's the idea of entertainment being taken away from you and/or being used as a scapegoat for emotional conflict.

The amount a person is influenced by media comes from their self-control and maturity level, not an arbitrary source of entertainment.

Last edited:

Eduarda

I agree with what you say. Games don't make people want to kill each other. All I'm saying is that it desensitizes people. It makes violence an everyday thing, and therefore violence looses it's importance.

I haven't seen too many violent clips at all really. Defiantly not more than a minute before I close it. But most of the violent video games I saw looked very realistic. It made me shudder.

Meh. I don't really feel like discussing this anymore. Because the reality is, that there is no set answer in stone. God didn't come down and tell us if we should play violent video games or not. So we don't know. It all depends on people's perspectives. And everyone's perspective is different ;)

I'm desensitized to video game, movie and TV violence but that's where it ends if I were to see real world violence like some one getting shot or seriously injured in a fight it would not at all feel the same it would be horrifying because I would know it was real not a video game or a movie, when the border between what is real and what is not fades that is when there is potential for a problem.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Society and the constant bombarding of images of real world violence is what is desencitizing us, not whether or not we play video games. We cannot turn on the TV without hearing about the horrors that mankind seems to do towards each other, we hear about war, about people going rampage with guns/knives/other weapons, people getting beat up, raped, and so on and so on. We hear about new occurences almost daily and our minds are simply not capable of coping with all of that on a level where we can allow ourselves to feel proper empathy for each and every one of the victims. So we push away most of the things that doesn't directly affect us or people close to us because we have to - for our own sanity's sake.

Playing video games, watching violent movies, shows isn't affecting the way I view the world - the world is. Video games are fiction, the same way books, movies and television shows are. And most of us are very capable of separating what is real and what isn't.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I like how the article calls out "realistic firearms," like that's somehow worse than realistic swords or realistic fists. Because hey, why not scapegoat as many things as you possibly can? Let's just cram every damn thing any ardent believer in the nanny state ever wanted to regulate into this study while we're at it. Is there room in there for cigarettes and large sodas, too?

On absolutely no level is this report worth taking seriously.

90% of my game library is E or T-rated. Most of the games I own don't even have guns in them, I'm quite sure, and far fewer have remotely realistic guns. That doesn't make my library any "cleaner" or any less dangerous. None of these games are dangerous, in fact.

It takes a human being to throw a punch or fire a weapon. Games are pretty far removed from that, and frankly, I'm sick of the patronizing attitude media organizations and government goons have taken toward the material people consume.

Of course, we should all be used to it by now.

As far as Mario Kart and whatnot, they're every bit as violent as Call of Duty, which is to say, they're not violent at all. A video game is not capable of assaulting a human being.

Last edited:

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Actually, to an extent most video games are indeed violent, just because they don't have guns or blood doesn't mean they aren't.

Things like this should come as a surprise to no one. The industry's been dealing with this awful rhetoric for a while. I guess it's surprising that it's a bunch of E-rated games they're talking about at the moment, but ultimately what were we expecting? Rational arguments from people who claim fictional works produce hardened killers? No. They were always going to be making insane claims and this is no different. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time games with mild content were targeted, to boot; I know Jack Thompson tried to sue Nintendo at some point.

People are absolute wimps these days. Seriously. I'm 26 now, almost 27. When I was growing up, as a 7 year old, I was playing Doom and Mortal Kombat. When I was outside playing, and fell, I got up a brushed myself off.

Everyone is terrified of their own shadow these days. Violence? No, no. Our kids can't handle it. They can't handle it because parents baby them way too much. Little Johnny very slightly scraped his knee. He's totally fine, but that doesn't stop mommy from screaming in terror, picking him up, and rocking him for 5 hours.

Instruct your kids, and let them run amok. Beat them when they misbehave, and let em loose again. Tying them to a chair to keep them away from the evil of the world is NOT THE WAY TO DO THINGS AND WILL HAVE A BAD EFFECT.

I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom