• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I Don't See the Big Deal About Ocarina of Time.

MW7

Yea its kind of a 3D aLttP, but it is awesome.
That's why it's a great game. A Link to the Past is the greatest game ever made IMO and if you're going to use a game as a model, ALTTP is the perfect choice. Yes Ocarina of Time is overrated IMO, but it is still the best 3d Zelda we have.

Also keep in mind that they dumbed down the Water Temple for OOT 3d. There weren't huge lines on the walls telling you where the water is raised and lowered, and I swear dark link is infinitely easier on the 3ds version. On the N64 I've never been able to touch him with the Master Sword but on the 3ds I can kill him without even looking at the screen. Morpha is a joke in either version of the game though as are several of the other bosses. The game really isn't hard by any means anyway. People say that OOT has a moderately good level of challenge for the series, and IMO this is kind of an exaggeration. For the 3d games it's probably right in the middle (Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword being more difficult), but overall for the series it's pretty easy. If you want a game with more challenging puzzles try Oracle of Ages.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
Ocarina of Time is a great game, but it is way to overrated. Ocarina did introduce a lot and had a great plot, but it's not the greatest thing since air.

The length of the game and being capable of keeping me hooked through out the whole thing was what made it a great game for me

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I do appreciate it for the reasons you gave, but too many people are "OoT is the only Zelda worth playing, all other Zeldas are an embarrassment to the series, etc" Those people need to lighten up and realize that yes, OoT is awesome, but so are a lot of the other Zeldas. They're not true Zelda fans if they worship one game and diss the rest...

I have never heard anyone say that Ocarina of Time is the only good Zelda game. Yes many people criticize the newer games and compare them to Ocarina of Time, but that doesn't meant they think the rest of the series is a piece of crap. It's just that it was such an amazing game that it is very difficult not to compare newer games to it. To many, Ocarina of Time is the epitome of what the Zelda franchise is. They see it as the rubric that other games must follow if they want to be as good.

Now that I don't like. Every game should be unique and original which is why many criticize Twilight Princess. It is often viewed as Ocarina of Time 2.0 which doesn't give enough credit to the game itself. It has just as many unique ideas as other Zelda games, it was just more influenced by Ocarina of Time than most.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I honestly don't know how you do not like Ocarina of Time....it is such a fun game to play. I will keep my N64 forever just to play it and Majora's Mask. You my friend have no taste in video games if you can't appreciate a classic such as Ocarina of Time.

May I kindly remind you the poster posted their opinion and it is not up to you to tell them they have no taste in videogames because they don't think OoT is as good as the hype makes it? Thanks

OoT was good and classical for the time. It was a revolution in games and a huge lot of people have great memories of Zelda because of OoT. Of course nowadays one can ask themselves if OoT would be as classical in this periode. I think it will be less epical but on the otherside if OoT would have been created today it would have looked different. Fact is it will always be seen as THE game what made people turn into Zelda fans. Things were unique and the game itself is good. Maybe the storyline can become a bit cheesy at points but even today people still play it and keep on playing it. Better games will be develloped and maybe some games will be even more epical because that's the way it goes. But OoT will always be a classical game people love to play

Pie Master

Master of cakes and pies
Somewhere in the jungles of Qoetzacotloal's
Simply putting it, OoT was a big change that worked,in fact, it did so well that it was considered one of the best videogames of its time (and even to this day it's considered one of the best).
You seem to consider the game's worth by its difficulty , then may I suggest Master Quest ? (Which is available in the 3D version)
Simply putting it, the game wasn't made to be hardcore, it was its effect and innovation that made it so dear to fans.

iMadMax

Zelda Masta
Ocarina of Time is a big deal for many Zelda fans because it was the 1st Zelda game to make the jump from 2D to 3D. It was revolutionnary back then. Also this game has a nostalgic factor for many gamers because it was one of the 1st games they ever played. I mean when your 1st game is THAT GOOD it is a big deal

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
May I kindly remind you the poster posted their opinion and it is not up to you to tell them they have no taste in videogames because they don't think OoT is as good as the hype makes it? Thanks

I understand that he is just voicing his opinion about the game, but then again so am I. I happen to strongly disagree with his view about the game and so I said so. It is not an attack on the poster but a statement of my views. I have no desire to insult him personally in any way.

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
As others have said, Ocarina of Time is regarded in such high esteem because it was a technical masterpiece for its time. It did a lot of things right during a pivotal time in the gaming industry, including:

-Smooth transition from 2D to 3D
-Great graphics
-Solid narrative
-Nearly flawless targeting system
-Big, expansive world with plenty to do
-Wonderful musical score, along with music-making via playing around with the ocarina

Ocarina of Time really brought Zelda, and all other games like it, to the next level, much like the original Zelda did through being the first home console game to have a save option. Simply from a industry perspective, its probably one of the most important games of all time, right up there with Tetris, Super Mario Bros., and Final Fantasy 7.

Naturally, this leads to Zelda fans to often compare OoT to every other new Zelda game, and to look back at OoT with nostalgia glasses on high. I totally respect your opinion in thinking it wasn't the super-awesome game you had heard it was- had it came out today, it would probably just be a passible game. Just know that its success inspired every other Zelda title since, and many other non-Zelda and even non-Nintendo franchises. I'd be curious to see a world were OoT was never made...

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I honestly don't see how you could have this opinion. Let me say that I did not play this game as a child, i first played it about 1 year ago when i had already played about 4 Zelda games. So i do not have any nostalgiac connecion to it.

I don't understand what you mean when you say it "wasn't something to freak out about" in 1998? It was exactly something to freak out about. Zelda was breaking the new 3D barrier. Not only was this new, but they basically sculpted all 3D combat that we know. Z-targeting was a massive innovation, and if not for Ocarina of Time gaming would not be what it is today (and that's quoted from somewhere, i dont remember where)

And i still think it's a fantastic game today. The story is the classic Legend of Zelda plotline. When people compare Zelda titles, Ocarina sets an extremely high standard. It also had a fantastic soundtrack, and a massively expansive gameplay for its time.

Ocarina of time is my 2nd favorite Zelda game, and i've played all but AoL and the two Four Swords titles

I think the main reason that it's so popular is because it was the first 3D Zelda game. And it had some crazy gaming graphics and fighting abilities for back then.

FosterTheNation

The Better of The Best
Well for me it's what started my interest in the series as it was the first Zelda game I was introduced to. But yeah, it's a good game but I feel it's overrated. I'd rather play MM or TP. Then again, OoT did break some boundaries. It was the first 3D Zelda and it kind of set the table for every installment afterwards.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
In 1998 when I got the game for christmas I was 14 and I couldn't stop playing until I 100% it. It was amazing for the time, no other game did 3D combat that well, it was so polished and immersive. Yea its kind of a 3D aLttP, but it is awesome.

dude, I agree. I was 13 when I got OoT and it was unlike any game I'd ever played. Before I owned it, I would go to my best friend's house and ask to play her younger brother's N64. She got jealous. hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom