• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I Don't Consider Myself Lucky This Generation

First, I buy an xbox 360. After several months, it wouldn't read the disc despite being clean. o_O I sent the 360 to Microsoft to get it fixed. Comes back even worse than before because the 360 actually scratched one of my games. :mad: Got rid of it.

Then, I buy a PS3. After several months (or as of 2-3 days ago), the system freezes and can't come back on :mad:. I contact Sony to try and resolve the issue. Nothing worked :cry:. I'm really considering of getting rid of it.

It is kinda sad when my NES still works yet two nest-gen consoles doesn't. I just gotta hope my Wii won't die on me.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed myself about the reliability of the current gen's console hardware. It quite pathetic that they can't actually produce a functioning console that you don't have to replace.

Now, it is true that not all of them break down; some do work indefinitely (though who's to say they won't break down at any moment?). I also have to commend Sony and especially Microsoft for following this up with a kick-*** support policy so you don't have to buy a new system. ;)

Still, there's no excuse for them producing consoles this bad in the first place. I will likely pick up a PS3 and 360 at some point, but I'm pretty reluctant to with how much they break down (especially the 360). I'm kinda hoping they come up with a new version of their consoles that functions better, or perhaps make their next-gen console better and backwards compatible with this gen. -.-

I personally think that Microsoft will still make a system that will be malfunctioning somewhat. All that money and still can't produce a virus-free computer.

Austin

Austin
The disk drive won't open properly on my 360. I have to repeatedly smack the slot in order to get it to work, which for obivous reasons is less than ideal. I could send it to Microsoft but I'm far too lazy at the moment to consider that. Besides that and the several other horror stories I've heard, I really don't know to much else about the issue. I own neither a PS3 nor a Wii, although I did see a friend rip a piece of his Wii off the moment after he bought the damn thing. And he didn't seem to be pulling THAT hard.

My N64 works terrifically though. I mean, I nearly asphyxiate myself everytime I try to load a cartridge, but other than that it's perfect.

Kazumi

chagy
Oh don't even get me started. I've had my Wii for almost three years, and that whole time I've always had minor disc errors and the like. I new it was my Wii, but it didn't really happen enough to affect me. Then it wouldn't read any discs at all, so I got a Lens Cleaning Kit and it worked like a dream.

But now, it's not even that the lens is dirty, it's just that my disc drive is messed up and won't play Wii or GC games. So I go on Nintendo's maze of a support site and finally get to the "set up a repair" section, I enter my serial number and they say that my Wii is not in their system and I need to call Customer Service. Still haven't done so yet, and am seriously considering selling it. It makes me very angry.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Eh, I'm on my like... 5th 360 now. I've been through like 4 PS3s. They always break AFTER the warrantly. Like a WEEK after, and then both Sony and Microsoft charge you after that. I don't have the money for another PS3, but they were a little sturdier. Unfortunately, the 360 is made with cheap solder, so that's the biggest issue as to why they always break.

My Wii still works fine- I've had it since launch. Never a problem. Nintendo's consoles are built like tanks, so I never have to worry. This generation's consoles really are pieces of crud. It's a shame. :/ Don't expect them to get any better, either. They come are released more and more frequently... in the future, there will probably be one oever couple of years, so that only means that they will spend even less to make them last.

I personally think that Microsoft will still make a system that will be malfunctioning somewhat. All that money and still can't produce a virus-free computer.
?

Not entirely sure what you're referring to. If it's the X-Box 360, then the problems are not viruses, but rather hardware issues. If you're talking about their computers, then that's not exactly fair. It's impossible to completely prevent viruses. Besides, it's not a computer's job to be invincible (although it should plug security holes). That's what you have firewalls and antivirus programs for. Another thing is the more popular a program or machine is, the more hackers are going to go after it since it's the most used. Since you can only handle security issues so much prior to them actually being exploited (more security patches fix known holes), it's just going to happen.

I own neither a PS3 nor a Wii, although I did see a friend rip a piece of his Wii off the moment after he bought the damn thing. And he didn't seem to be pulling THAT hard.
This caught my eye... was it the little hatch cover for either the Gamecube controllers or memory cards? If so, those are actually designed to come off. I don't know if he broke the parts that connect to the Wii unit or not, though. ;)

Don't expect them to get any better, either. They come are released more and more frequently... in the future, there will probably be one oever couple of years, so that only means that they will spend even less to make them last.
Ha! Then they'll lose my business. And I bet I'm not going to be the only one either.

Austin

Austin
This caught my eye... was it the little hatch cover for either the Gamecube controllers or memory cards? If so, those are actually designed to come off. I don't know if he broke the parts that connect to the Wii unit or not, though. ;)

It was, actually. We were puzzling over the console trying to find the Gamecube stuff, noticed that that particular part could open, and the moment he pulled the thing up it flew off the console. I wasn't aware it could be reattached though.

?

If you're talking about their computers, then that's not exactly fair. It's impossible to completely prevent viruses. Besides, it's not a computer's job to be invincible (although it should plug security holes). That's what you have firewalls and antivirus programs for.

Yet, you won't find any viruses on Apple computers. It'll break down, sure, but not because of viruses.

It was, actually. We were puzzling over the console trying to find the Gamecube stuff, noticed that that particular part could open, and the moment he pulled the thing up it flew off the console. I wasn't aware it could be reattached though.
Yeah, they're re-attachable. It's a little tricky, but possible. I was fumbling with it just the other week. >.<

Yet, you won't find any viruses on Apple computers. It'll break down, sure, but not because of viruses.
?

Dude. You can get viruses on any computer. There is no such thing as a computer system immune to viruses. Especially when you consider that the computer's hardware has nothing to do with it's vulnerability to viruses. We're talking software. And while software can be secure and mostly devoid of security holes, I guarantee you that 99% of the time there's a way through that hackers just haven't discovered yet (and probably never will).

And remember, Apple is not as widely used as Microsoft, so they're not targeted half as much. Therefore it's not an accurate gauge of how secure they really are.

But, anyway, this is a little off-topic. Perhaps it should be continued in PM, VM, or in a new thread. ;)

I've yet to have any problems with my Wii and PS3....yet is the key word.

The Wii has been indestructible for me. Believe me, it's gone through a lot through the past years, and I've never had a super major problem with it. A friend's little brother crammed two disks in it and I had to send it to Nintendo, but didn't pay a penny for it, and it's been fine ever since.

I'm nervous about my PS3 though. I've heard so many people say that it works like a charm.....until a few days after warranty expires. I didn't think it was true at first, but after hearing so many people say it, I'm starting to prepare for the day when I have to pay $100+ to get it fixed. I treat it like a baby though; unlike the Wii, it's locked in my room at all times.

Don't even get me started on the 360. There's a reason I chose the PS3 over it. I know people who've replaced it 4+ times, and still complain about it. Why even bother? I can't imagine purchasing the same system that many times when you're always going to get the same errors and problems. It has a what, 65% fail rate? I just can't take my chances with that, seeing as money is always super tight.

I do miss the days when the Game Boy could survive a nuclear bomb being dropped on it....

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Never really had a problem with my Wii. The worst thing that ever happened to it was that it froze, and that was like two years ago. And it did turn back on after I messed around with the power button, and that was it. Oh, and it also had a tiny bit of trouble reading the disks in the past. But that's it, just the minor problems you're 100% bound to have with a console if you have it long enough.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I tell you, the issues are all because they switched to cheap optical media. There's a reason Nintendo was reluctant to switch from cartridges, but because they had tons more space at the time and were easier for developers to work with, they were forced to accept them. I was upset when the Gamecube was released, because I knew it meant the lazy-arse developers had finally won out over the best interests of gamers.

Think about it. Your typical console was pretty reliable for a long time back when cartridges were the main medium. Let's just say I got my SNES in 1993, and it still works perfectly. I've had to replace my Gamecube twice since it came out. The person I know who got a PS2 had to have the drive replaced 5 times in the same period, so I guess Nintendo does care about quality.

From an engineering perspective, it's pretty obvious why consoles fail so readily now. Optical media relies on moving parts (which wear out far more quickly than circuits) and lasers (which are light-based and also wear out) for reading games. On top of that, the media itself is unprotected from most sides, has to be handled carefully, loads more slowly, requires a separate unit for saving games, and can easily be scratched, chipped, or warped.

The SSD hard drives and Flash Memory cards are getting bigger and more reliable these days, however. The distribution media is moving more and more towards the Internet. Hopefully next generation, we'll be downloading games onto drives or cards, on systems that have no moving parts. The Wii is already halfway there with the Virtual Console and WiiWare.

I can grant that part of the higher failure rate is sloppy manufacturing, but I think a lot of the problems will vanish once we can rid ourselves of the horrid optical media, and use a decent storage medium with no moving parts.

Yeah, I think I agree with you Athenian. In general our current technology is a lot more fragile than the old (good) stuff.

It seems that even aside from the things you detailed, the better their hardware gets, the more flimsy they are. Smaller, more fragile electronics built to be more advanced that easily break down and/or overheat (aren't most of the 360's problems related to overheating?). Some of this problem might go hand in hand with how small the consoles are getting. Maybe we're better off with big boxes so the electronics and bulkier and sturdier. :hmm:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Yes, I know how you feel. For example. The original Nintendo DS (slightly newer but hear me out) I have had the original DS for nearly 5 years and it is still working perfectly fine despite me dropping it of a bunk bed onto a wooden floor. And all my friends have DS lites. No offence to them but some of them have gone through upto 3 DS lites because they are easier to break. They do have their advantages but all in all I prefer the DS. And the DSi and the XL are just so rubbish! (No offence but I personally hate them but no offence to anyone who likes them.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom