• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler I Cant Feel How Good This Game Is......

Now some of you are gonna hate me but, OoT was not that great for me when I played it truthfully. I'm not sure why its so over rated, its not that great. I dislike some things.
1. The characters: They were strange, we barley knew anything of them. For example Zelda turns into a dude in the AT, only got captured at the end. In the CT she fell in love the second she sees Link. Ganon is some dude trying to destroy everything, big whoop. Gorons, who tells some kid to go kill a bunch of giant creatures in a Cavern!? He doesn't look crazy, what the heck. Ruto Princess, she just bossed me around and all, then she likes me for saving her. Awnestly you couldn't disagree with me.
2. The Ocarina: It sure doesn't seem to play an important role, it had some side use but other than that it wasn't used for too many puzzles. Using it to teleport, what the heck is Epona for?
3. Gameplay: It was based on that, but was limited and didn't have the special "SWORD" moves. I saw a couple of things I liked, but some were just annoying. Having a ton of death just because the lock on makes you slow down. Or the stupid light arrows not hitting Ganon and that they used so much magic kill my life. That was especially annoying when I had to go all the way up there just to see the cut scene.
4. Darkness: No looks buggy, I played WW, TP this doesn't come close to being a dark game. It needs plot twists other than the sacred realm entering. Enemies just were..... enemies! They aren't gonna freak anyone out.
I dont know why this is such a high rated game, it is over loved leaving other exellent games out. Does anyone think this way besides me? Questions: Why is it over rated? It is a great game, but does not make you happy that much. >.>

Last edited:

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Keep this in mind. You have your opinions, I have mine. Don't De-rep me because I'm stating my opinion as opposed to yours.
Dude, for each of those points, I will set up a counter-argument.

1) This game is the first example of the effective 3D NPC. The characters weren't strange at all, you just didn't get to know them, and/or skipped through most of their dialogue. A lot of the characters can be further learned about by using the Gossip Stones around Hyrule. For example, Malon has a dream that a knight in shining armor will come and sweep her off of her feet. This Gossip Stone is in the Temple of Time's courtyard.

2) The Ocarina is an important tool in puzzles. the Song of Time is used to move a lot of blocks, the Song of Storms is needed to open Bottom of the Well, the Scarecrow's Song is utilized MANY times, and the Sun's Song canbe used to paralyze Redeads. Also, Epona is used to get all 10 Big Poes in Hyrule Field, as they won't appear without being on her. Not to mention, she's needed for at least three Pieces of Heart and the Biggoron's Sword Sidequest.

3) Now it just seems like you're trolling. There were plenty of special sword moves. The Jump Attack, the Great Spin Attack, the Stab, the list goes on. The Lock On doesn't slow you down at all. You're just not making effective use of backflipping, strafing, and dodging. I'm convinced you skipped dialogue now, because when Ganon shot waves of darkness, it forced Navi away from you, meaning you couldn't lock on. You had to aim manually, and he isn't that hard to hit. And what do you mean by "That was especially annoying when I had to go all the way up there just to see the cut scene"?

4) The game wasn't dark enough for you? So you're saying the game is gay because it wasn't dark enough? News flash, without bright and happy games, the dark ones wouldn't be so appealing. Take this example. If every superhero was dark like Batman, Batman wouldn't be as awesome because everyone would be like him. Dark games are what define a bright game, and vice versa. And let me tell you this right now. You're what, 16? Somewhere in that general age vicinity? You're old enough to cope with this. Try being nine years old and walking out into the Castle Town Market as an adult, thinking the ReDeads are people, and then suddenly watching them rape your face. Childhood ended for many a gamer right then and there. Now for the one that really got on my nerves. Plot twists. You say there weren't any except the one in the middle? I'm assuming you played Super Smash Bros. Melee or Brawl before playing this game, because you would never have seen Sheik actually being Zelda coming. It had the same effect as when Samus first was revealed to be a girl in the original Metroid did on me. I was like "OMGWTFBBQ" and flipped out about it. you obviously knew about it already, so it had no effect. It's like the classic (WARNING: FFVII SPOILERS)
Aeris gets stabbed by Sephiroth
scene. If you didn't see it coming, which you wouldn't have if you had never heard of the game before, you likely shed a tear over it. If you did (which meant someone spoiled it for you), you probably yawned and thought "How cliche'."

Ocarina of Time isn't overrated. It is one of (if not THE) best Zelda games ever made. It is not overrated or over-loved. This game is what started the (for want of better term) Golden Age of Zelda. Without OoT, there would be no TWW, or TP, or basically any game after it. And Au Contraire to the last part. Beating OoT satisfied me in a way that few games ever have. I think you need to go back and look at it again, and this time, actually pay attention to dialogue.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Heroid77777, I have to respectfully disagree with everything you said. Rytex explained it beautifully. Ocarina of Time is one of the very few games that is considered flawless or nearly flawless. I've played the game more times than I can count and I must say it is certainly not over rated. I would touch on all the points you brought up but I agree with everything Rytex has already said.

Ocarina of Time = Amazing

uummm... I never said the games gay, i'm 13. And what I meant by running all the way up there was going up his Tower. What I meant by him not having very many "SWORD" moves was that he never learned a back slice even. Another thing to make out, yes I did see it coming when Zelda transformed from a dude to her true form. I never said anything about the game being "gay" at all. I DID PAY ATTENTION, what do you think of me when you see my avatar. That I randomly chose that picture for no reason? People need to pay attention to the characters when they see them to love great games like Majoras Mask. I would never in death troll at anything, thats like meaning to me that I am not epic. I only said that I didn't find the game that great when I played it, I never tried offending anyone. OoT wasn't dark because I played more advanced graphic games like WW and TP." Is everyone else playing older games first? No that cant be right." And one thing: Some thing will never be exactly how everyone can put something at. Example OoT loved by 50,000,000,000 people. NOOOOO, 50,000,000,000.00000000000001 I am not trying to hurt anyone, i'm just making conversation. I am not completley sure why I didn't become everyone else, meaning i'm mental, wasted when I played it, I am just wondering why I didn't fall to the floor for the game like everyone else. I really just want to see if some one felt the same way, am I seeing things, or is someone exaggerating about everything I said, and would track me down to kill me? >.< God please dont let that happen for me being different to other people.

Last edited:
Actually... I think the problem is that you DID play the newer games first... The newer games were much easier than OoT was in my opinion. The special attacks made the games very easy and the enemies were no problem at all. When fighting an Iron knuckle in OoT, you had to be extremely careful, one hit would both send you flying and deal massive damage. This kind of damage and strategy wasn't found in any other Zelda game. Being spoiled to newer graphics and then going back to older ones can be kind of disappointing as well and I can see as how that could take away from the experience for you. As far as Epona... well she isn't necessary to beat the game, but in order to complete it 100% she is, you can't do it without her. I'd say you're just use to the easiness of the newer games and also their more modern graphics.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
This is something that the newer fans of the series need to appreciate is how easy they have it. I say we make them play ALttP. I will never forget how hard ALttP was for me the first time I played it, coming off of TP. And after that, how about TLoZ, where they have no map and have to explore everywhere?

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
I think everyone who has replied to this has hit how I feel right on the nose, really.

Though, I would like to politely point out, just because people really like something, it doesn't always mean that it's overrated. Everyone has their opinion on everything, their likes and dislikes and I feel that it is very unfair to accuse Ocarina of Time for being "over-loved," when many fans do have good reason to do so. Just because you didn't feel that special something with the game, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

For me, personally, Ocarina of Time remains to be one of the most influential and inspiring Zelda games I have ever had the honour of playing. I connected with the world and the characters on such a deep level that when I finally had the chance to play it in full roughly six years after the game was released (didn't own an N64, so had to struggle with sporadically playing it at friend's places until I got it for Gamecube), yes, it meant a very great deal to me.

This isn't to say that your opinion of the game is "wrong" in any way. Like many have stated before, the reason why you may have disliked OoT so much is because you have played some of the newer titles first. Therefore, your experience was probably not as exhilarating as it may have been for others. A lot of the fanbase faun over OoT because many of them had grown old with the game and understand it's importance both technically and artistically. I'm sure there are others, possibly more so in your age group, who share your opinions when it come to OoT, but definitely keep in mind, this is a forum for Zelda fans new and old. Chances are, you will be getting a lot of conflicting views with this topic.

Pixel

Smallest graphical unit
(@Heriod77777)
Well, everyone have the right to have an opinion and I respect you for that,

But just as you said Rytex and LegendOfZelda overreacted,you overreacted too.
I must agree with the others and say, the old games are classic, were harder, and f you're used to the new games you are going to find them harder.
Although I myself don't really care for Ocarina of Time, it's is one of my favorites and a favorite of a big part of the forums.
I did skip dialogues,yet I don't have the problem to identificate with the characters as you said, plus if you want,you can always play again,this tiem pay mroe attention to see if this solve your problems.

~SkullKid~

~Mazuke~
Come on guys, it's Zelda. No game is better then others, their all fun and are awsome. If you hate a Zelda game why should you even be called a Zelda fan. Don't de-rep just because you dont agree, everyone has opinions.

This is something that the newer fans of the series need to appreciate is how easy they have it. I say we make them play ALttP. I will never forget how hard ALttP was for me the first time I played it, coming off of TP. And after that, how about TLoZ, where they have no map and have to explore everywhere?
Yah its not like I wanted to play all the games hoping for deep, fun adventures.(sarcasm) I will play all Zelda games. And I NEVER IN STONE TOWER will hate a Zelda game. ever. Here's my list:
1. Majoras Mask/ Skyward Sword
2. Twilight Princess
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Wind Waker
5.?
Well, we all have different opinions, dont think I dislike WW. I really wish I could get it fixed and go to the labyrinth to play against all the enemies. Mabey, OoT is one great game, and one who can see flaws more is to be this:
1.Skyward Sword
2. Majoras Mask
3.Ocarina of Time
4. Wind Waker
5.Twilight Princess
One who plays the games I played first will probably think the same way, and see flaws in games much older. Ocarina of Time was a fun game and all, maybe its stress that set me down, such as having to go through all three dungeons just to get to be an adult. Dieing at a boss fight, either i'm not a good player, or I dislike stress alot. I'm one to love Majoras Mask but, I dont care too much on the great OoT. I will never ever ever ever hate a Zelda game. ever.

MW7

I agree that Ocarina of Time is over-rated. However I still think it's a great game. It feels very bare bones when compared with other games in the series. This was partyl due to the fact that it was the first 3d Zelda game, and as such a lot of the people who grew up with OoT still see it as a revolution.

OoT was the first Zelda game I played and I never found it particularly difficult. I think I died about 3 times in total on my first playthrough which severely dissapointed me considering the ravings going on around me about how annoyingly hard it was. If it had of provided me with more of a challenge, it probably would have been my favourite. However without it, it was just a slower, uglier, smaller, and less immersing version of Twilight Princess.

Didn't stop me from getting it on the 3ds though ;)

Whoever led you to believe OOT would be difficult seriously misled you. IMO none of the 3d Zelda games can really be considered difficult. Majora's Mask is usually considered the "hardest" but even it isn't that hard. The difficulty of the 3d games isn't tied to deaths IMO like it is in the earlier 2d games. The difficulty is more from the puzzles than the combat from OOT on. Just my opinion though.

Also I'm just curious which aspects of OOT you consider bare bones. The only thing i can think of is sidequests; the number and quality of sidequests have greatly increased in the later games IMO.

There are two things that stick out about Ocarina of Time for me that make it such a special game for me: the quality/number of the dungeons and the nonlinearity. First off, IMO the only game with higher quality dungeons in the series is Majora's Mask, but OOT has more than double the amount of dungeons. I understand the complaints about the child dungeons, but the adult temples were all gems. Particularly the forest, water, and spirit temples are some the greatest dungeons in the history of the series. To be fair all Zelda games have great dungeons, but I just think OOT's are best. Twilight Princess has some great dungeons as well (my favorites being Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak Ruins), but the thing that makes me prefer OOT is nonlinearity. Nonlinearity was one of the most distinguishing features of the original LOZ, and it was one my favorites aspects as well. OOT was nonlinear as well, received the highest critical response for a video game ever, and then inexplicably the rest of series is nearly completely linear. I'm not saying nonlinearity is the only reason OOT is great, but it's not a total coincidence either.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You're not alone in that boat, many people can't feel OoT. It's a side effect of being born either earlier or later than its release date – one would have already came across a game that has been labeled their favorite, so by the time they reach OoT they see it as less than subpar.

The game has flaws, I think that is obvious, and if one doesn't look at it with my brain, they'll see said flaws outright. Graphics related complaints in my mind aren't valid – the game was made for the N64, a system which had good graphics for its time (considering almost all other games were in 2D, pixelated and the like). Axing that, story complaints are mostly valid as far as I'm concerned. The story really is a simple one: "sheltered boy comes out to the world and is inadvertently named a hero through some conspicuous deeds". Much room for plot twists is located within the game, being truthful. Characters are mostly transparent, with really only one to two lines for most NPCs. Characters could use improvement. Gameplay, however, I think was top notch. The puzzles were spot on, just the right difficulty in my mind. Granted, what is hard for me could be easy for another and vice versa. Still, OoT to this day has the best gameplay of the Zelda series in my mind. No, not because it "revolutionized 3D gaming". No, not because of the target system. It's just...the feel of how good this game is.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I can see where your coming from. OoT is either a love hate type game, I was asking some people who were COD fans and they liked Twilight Princess but not OoT. OoT is a slow, puzzle based and simple story. Also this was an old game, games were VERY different back then, if you prefer the modern Zelda to classic than your not alone a lot of people feel that way too. If you were to play classic and modern side by side you could see a big change. As for the sword, well again it was an old game but I didn't mind the sword all that much. As for the Ocarina, I loved it and can find no way to think of how anyone would not like it. As for when you talk about the difficulty, difficulty is good! It's something recent Zelda titles need more of. Perhaps that's why you prefer modern Zelda?? I don't get what your saying about darkness though, it was dark enough. Anyways I respect what your saying, I myself don't find OoT my favorite game but it's still great.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
Anyone (or most anyone) I think will always be biased towards the first Zelda they played. This isn't a bad thing, just something you have to realize. For me the sense of adventure and exploration I felt playing OoT can never be equaled, even if I think another zelda is technically better it still won't be the same.

That said, OoT still has some pretty deep characters and dark moments. The carpenter's son, the guy who hangs out by the tree in Kakariko at night, thinks people are disgusting (and is a fan of chickens), but if you talk to him with the Keaton mask he says in a sad tone that he's really a nice guy. Mido, who feels bad for being mean to Link in an ironic confession (doesn't know he's speaking with an adult Link). Zelda, who feels that the entire situation is her fault. As for darkness, think about the soldier you find dying in the back alleys of Hyrule, right after Zelda's escape cutscene. The well under Kakariko filled with corpses, blood (is there another zelda with so much blood?), and prisoner racks (and the village drinks from this well?!). Or the idea that when you travel back to being a kid you know all the people in the Market (an otherwise happy scene) are about to have a very unpleasant couple of years and they have no idea (a precursor to the sense impending doom experienced in MM).

I think your opinion is very valid though, don't get me wrong. I know TP is a very good game, but I don't enjoy it as much as OoT because to me it isn't different enough. Now, if I had played TP first, or even if I had played any game other than OoT first, I would probably not feel that way, but thems the rubs.

Honestly I never thought OoT could be overrated. I think it is still strong but interesting. Also would you say it is overrated compared to a game of its time like super mario 64?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom