• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I can't be alone here...

Is it green or yellow?

• Green

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Yellow

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Honestly who cares?

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Tristan you need a life

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
So, I got into a heated argument with somebody recently regarding the colour of Toon Zelda's hair. The opposition insisted that her hair was yellow through-and-through, but I have always had a hard time seeing it as anything other than green. I will provide some examples to back this up.

So, first off, here is her in-game character model in a scene from the Gamecube version of The Wind Waker, as Tetra:
GQil5DREAgs5A1pXbD6XYvArXFSYAbbFMf1RX3PrgugTndXJ1NXKyJWE7Qa4jaxYOfo_aM92bgzcxIj3l9Y-FBQIZCPvpMYPxBAHlJiexMHgBzJx_Uc-1tRNNq9qyd_8PFpoQZtaaZHwuK17dLtDh3t1kGIe4-Avm-mTpJDegvkRKr9h2gcaPvUMNhjazQ9PCsqNcOI
It certainly could be the lighting, but I definitely see her hair as being green in colour, especially in the section that is under a shadow.

To further back this up, here is some official artwork from the same game:
Once again, I see her hair as green, though I can admit to there being a yellow tinge to it. The part that is in shadow, though, similar to the image above, is all green.

Now we get into a more defined version of her character model from the HD re-release of The Wind Waker, this time in her Toon Zelda form:
146px-TWW_Princess_Zelda_Figurine_Model.png
Even with the refined textures and colours, I still have a hard time seeing her hair as being anything other than green. But still, even with that image, the opposition in my argument saw it as yellow in colour. What could I be missing here?

The next image is of Zelda's character model from Spirit Tracks:
fcLpDha.png
By this time, the concept of Toon Zelda had been well established within the series, so making her hair green must have been a conscious decision.

But then there's a problem, as presented in the following image of Tetra's character model in Phantom Hourglass:
imgbin-the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-princess-zelda-gamecube-nintendo-ds-tetra-others-Y2gCyQR5h7KZTkgeKsq49shUe.jpg
In the above image, Tetra's hair looks distinctly less green than in her appearance in all versions of The Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks, as I do see the colour of her hair in that image to be yellow. However, her skin is also noticeably more tan, which could be from being on a ship for several months and therefore receiving a lot of exposure to the sun, or it could just be a different character designing colouring her and being unsure what colour her hair actually was supposed to be.

The next image is more official artwork, this time as Zelda appears in The Minish Cap:
latest
Regardless of what colour her hair actually is in this image, there is a very obvious green tint at the very least, and in my eyes it appears more green than yellow.

The following two images are of Tetra and Toon Zelda as they appear in Hyrule Warriors:
latest

These two images present her hair as predominantly green, though I do acknowledge the ambiguity surrounding the canonity Hyrule Warriors. Still, if the character designers for that game were working closely with Nintendo to get the models correct, then there should be a reason her hair appears green.

Lastly, here is just a collection of images of Toon Zelda and Tetra in different scenarios:

Toon_Zelda.jpg

images

maxresdefault.jpg

compared to Toon Link's hair, which is very obviously blonde:
hqdefault.jpg

Anyway, this argument may seem pointless, but it spawned a massive discussion and argument between me and my friend, and I am really curious to see what you guys think.

So, tell me, is Tetra/Toon Zelda's hair yellow or green?

Kirino

Tatakae
Differences in perception such as this are fairly common. The specific wavelength of the light is objective, but the color that we personally perceive it as is subjective and can vary from person to person. There can often be ambiguity, especially with colors that are so close to each other on the spectrum (such as orange and yellow, or yellow and green). So no one is necessarily right or wrong.

Personally, I see it as yellow in virtually all of the images. If I try, I can see a couple of them as green, especially the Hyrule Warriors ones. In any case, I think the intention is for her to have yellow hair given the color in other games. So if it looks green, then I would assume it's unintentional, and maybe a side-effect of how it's cell-shaded.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I see yellow personally, but it's definitely a subjective topic. I actually brought this topic up in the ZD Discord and someone brought up her hair is kind of like that green yellow crayon.

tumblr_nb3aeuwU841qauhyqo1_640.jpg

I have to agree, I see her hair being yellow and then in the darker areas due to shadowing it's green yellow.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
It's yellow to me. But different people see colors slightly differently some times. For example, Goombas look red to me, but everyone keeps telling me they're brown

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Naturally, hair can be blonde yellow but cannot be green. Also, I like the Zelda with yellow hair rather than the green hair so I voted yellow. So ye-...Hey!:zelda:It's yellow in this emote too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom