• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic I Am Error

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
Hey ZD! I just wanted to find out a little more about everyone's favourite pointless NPC from the Adventure of Link. For those of you who do not know....in a village there is a house which has a guy who says "I am Error". Now....this has always been sort of comical to me. Is Nintendo really saying his name is Error as in a mistake....or more like Airoar...some hero type guy? I don't think this was meant to be Error as in a mistake and moreso a generic name. It is funny to wonder if there is a programming glich or Nintendo just screwed up. If you have any ideas or thoughts on Error, please put them below.

Oh, here's a pic for ya! :):lol::)

i_am_error.gif

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Error 404 post not found.

Just kidding.
I wonder how lazy the translators were back in the 80's. NES games had much less text than today's game but there were a lot of grammer and spelling mistakes. Or maybe some name their children Error in Japan...

Moldorm

Is not Error
Personally, (and I have no idea if there's any truth to this) I think Error is named Error because it's hard to forget him once you've met him. I haven't played AoL in a while, but I'm pretty sure later in the game someone tells you to speak with a man named Error. He gives you some info; although, I can't quite remember what it is. Anyway, my point is, there's a bunch of towns and people in the game and you've got to remember which one is Error to get that information. My thought on the subject is (in efforts to keep Error from being more than just a mistake) the writers chose a name that would stick in the player's mind. What better way than to make the player think about the name over and over, wondering if it's a mistake or not?

Perhaps there's more to his name than we think. Or perhaps I'm just grabbing at any sort of explanation I can come up with. Either way, it's time for a sandwich. :nod:

Epona

Ordon Village
I don't think it was a mistake. And yes, someone in the game does say "Ask Error about...." something, I don't remember what. So either they messed up twice, which I doubt, or they meant to have his name be Error.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
To answer everyone ? I think his name Error so you wouldn't forget him and there is a man in Mido town you have to talk to here's his quote "
ASK ERROR OF RUTO ABOUT THE PALACE.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Supposedly his name was supposed to be 'Errol', which as some of us know, the translation with the letters L and R can be tricky with Japanese. When translated, Errol became Error, an entirely different name to US audiences.

For example with Ls and Rs, the Pokemon Lugia in Japan is known as 'Rugia' and said with an R, as the L sound is not in Japanese. So Rugia became Lugia, as with Errol to Error similarly.
Another example, the character 'L' from Death Note. His name is intended to actually be L, but in Japan (take note that the character's ethnicity himself is not Japanese) L is said as "Erru", which sounds like it would be 'R'. This is not the case, as the name still stays L, but is pronounced with an R sound.

Ls and Rs are tricky with translation, and even Link, who in Japan is pronounced as 'Rink' or 'Rinku'.

Hope that helped... but it all could simply be Error from the start, due to a missing part in the game that prompts the message, "I am Error.". Many games do this, often with characters that you are not supposed to be able to talk to, or simply lack dialog.

David

But you called me here...
Supposedly his name was supposed to be 'Errol', which as some of us know, the translation with the letters L and R can be tricky with Japanese. When translated, Errol became Error, an entirely different name to US audiences.

For example with Ls and Rs, the Pokemon Lugia in Japan is known as 'Rugia' and said with an R, as the L sound is not in Japanese. So Rugia became Lugia, as with Errol to Error similarly.
Another example, the character 'L' from Death Note. His name is intended to actually be L, but in Japan (take note that the character's ethnicity himself is not Japanese) L is said as "Erru", which sounds like it would be 'R'. This is not the case, as the name still stays L, but is pronounced with an R sound.

Ls and Rs are tricky with translation, and even Link, who in Japan is pronounced as 'Rink' or 'Rinku'.

Hope that helped... but it all could simply be Error from the start, due to a missing part in the game that prompts the message, "I am Error.". Many games do this, often with characters that you are not supposed to be able to talk to, or simply lack dialog.

This here post beat me to the punch. It is this reason, and this reason only, as I believe and understand it to be.

"It is likely that the name Error is a joke from the developers, since he is close friends [citation needed] and quest-related to the character Bagu. "Bagu" would be the romanization of the Japanese way of writing the word "bug". As such, "error" and "bug" refer to a computer's malfunctioning."
-Zelda Wiki​

so, its kind of random name, but it makes a little sense

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
When I first played Adventures of Link, I kinda speed-read through his unforgettable quote and translated it as "I AM IN ERROR". Do you think that's what he was supposed to say?
And another thing; What I'd think would be funny is if you were playing Zelda on the Wii, and it can't read the disk or something, they should put Error's picture right next to the error code. Get it?! Ha ha ha!
...I kill me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom