• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds I Am Anxious About the Renting System

Unlike the rest of the world. I dont feed myself blind hype to fill some subconscious void. Im not pointing fingers but ive seen it in every fanbase where people get all excited and refuse to see possible flaws from yhe get go.

Renting. Now obviously I do now know 100% how this works but here is how I do not want it to work.

I want access to every item eventually. Hopefully I can some how buy them all or the plot causes the ahop to burn. Down and you get them all.

Does anyone remember lake hylia from oot? The heart piece you couldnt reach without the hook shot or boomerang. You went back for it with that said equipment later. It added to the exploration.

I fear that the renting system will get in the way of this by having players go back to the shop midway during the adventure to get an item to fetch some goodies. I fear going into a cave just to exit because you didnt rent a boomerang for a switch you cant reach.

Teleporting wouldnt fix this since it would only help make the game too easy. Not twilight princess teleporting I mean teleporting infront of a heart piece to save travel time. Please nintendo. Dont screw it up.

Thoughts?

Salem

SICK
Unlike the rest of the world. I dont feed myself blind hype to fill some subconscious void. Im not pointing fingers but ive seen it in every fanbase where people get all excited and refuse to see possible flaws from yhe get go.
Okay....?

I want access to every item eventually. Hopefully I can some how buy them all or the plot causes the ahop to burn. Down and you get them all.
I doubt something like burning the shop happen, maybe you'll just buy everything at some point.

Does anyone remember lake hylia from oot? The heart piece you couldnt reach without the hook shot or boomerang. You went back for it with that said equipment later. It added to the exploration.

I fear that the renting system will get in the way of this by having players go back to the shop midway during the adventure to get an item to fetch some goodies. I fear going into a cave just to exit because you didnt rent a boomerang for a switch you cant reach.
One why I would go about this it to rent as many as items as possible, so that there will as few obstacle as possible. Or I would mark the area in the map where I might need to use an Item I don't have. This feature is available on previous DS Zelda games, it's likely to return for this one. [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i've heard that there is the option to also buy the weapons/tools, so that should make it better, i just don't like the not finding them in the dungeons part.

i've heard that there is the option to also buy the weapons/tools, so that should make it better, i just don't like the not finding them in the dungeons part.

yeah i agree with the latter, although I wasnt a fan of skywards swords dungeon design. eg where I got the whip and then 85% of the objects in the stage became whipable making it 85% easier to finish imo.

and renting more than one item sounds nice, but why rent i like link for his arsenal. Nintendo I am trusting you here. I did enjoy the article where they said no hand holding + getting lost is part of the fun. so there is that.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Im sure you will be able to get them, they wouldn't do that to you in a Zelda game, i am sure that once you beat that Dungeon that you need said Item in, Ravio will allow you to either buy or give you the item that you would have got in the Dungeon. thats why you rent it. so if you want to mess around in the over world, which would actually allow you to power up before even starting some dungeons, you can. I dont know, i just have a feeling thats why they have the Item displayed outside the dungeons, so you know what you need to get through them, and you know if there is one you want to keep early in the game, you go to that dungeon first.

something tells me the Items are part of the story, as in they are linked to the Link from ALttP. I dont know proving you are the one with the spirit of the hero... SS reference! but yeah you will have all the items eventually somehow, dont any of you worry about that!

You can rent items but if you die your rented items are returned to Ravio's store meaning you have to go back and re rent or if you have enough rupees you can buy the item/items but buying is very expensive, this system will likely make experimentation and trouble shooting necessary in order to complete dungeons, it also makes rupees much more useful, I'm not worried about this but rather excited I can't wait to see how it goes.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I see just the reverse happening. "If this game sucks I will never touch the series again" type attitude. I'm of the mind set that if they aren't taking risks they don't deserve our money. The series would ge stale if risks were never taken. This renting system is just something to "freshening" the series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
IIRC, you can buy the item once you complete its respective dungeon. Nothing is changed bar there is a useful (and mandatory ;p) apparatus in grinding for rupees. Renting items alters nothing.

We won't know anything for sure until the release, but I still think that the rent/buy system will call for experimentation and trouble shooting in dungeons to a digree even if only to serve as compensation for the rent/buy system, it would be logical and it would make dungeons more difficult especially if done right.

In the end I will likely be more than happy with the system regardless of how it works, I'm not going to worry about it and if my predictions are wrong who cares as long as it works well.

Jonouchi

Old school Pokemon master
I'm very interested in seeing how this rental system works. I'm more into finding the item in the dungeon, but I'm more concerned about there being some sort of guessing game with the items. Say, for example, you go to Dungeon A, but you find out you need Item A the moment you reach the dungeon. Unless Ravio explains which item goes to which dungeon. I don't really know how it works entirely, but again, I'm interested to see how this works out.

Well with the thought of no hand holding involve. Im concerned that ravioli or whatever doesnt tell you where to use each item. Maybe a nudge like. This boomerang works well underwater hint hint would work. But if he doesnt help you at all and like the above poster said. You end up at dungeon A with the wrong item getting lost would be 1000% more annoying than it would be fun.

After sometime everyone would look up guides for where to bring each rented item and that would spoil the game. This can be avoided in my opinion if. You go to dungeon A with the wrong item. But that item doesn net you a heart piece or fairy fountain. Then I would be ok with trial an error.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think renting's there just to avoid grinding. You could grind and search every nook and cranny to buy them all I bet, or buy a lot of them, but if you just want to get through a dungeon and continue on with the game without having to do that you can just rent the required item and do just that. Not every player would want to search far and wide for enough rupees to buy that 1 item they need to continue when they could just rent it. I think it's a decent system, though Zelda is very "You NEED this item!" rather than "It'd be cool if you had this item!" so it's not the most ideal thing but still, I don't think it's all that bad. That sounds like a problem with Zelda's progression design moreso than the renting system itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom