• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past I <3 ALttP

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
This is basically just a thread for ALttP- everything about it or the game in general. BTW this is all IMO

I LOVE THIS GAME. Everything about it. Which is odd to me, because when i first got into the Zelda series and played this game i absolutely hated it. It was too goddamn hard, it was too long, there were too many secrets, blah blah blah.

But i just finished a playthrough of the game (this being a few years after the play through where i hated it,) and now i love it.
From the epic beginning in the pouring rain to finding your uncle in the castle basement to everything else, the game was stellar. The soundtrack was top notch and has some of the most memorable songs in the entire series. This was the first time that a Zelda game had a backstory (other than the brief ones in instruction manuals), and it was the first time the story was actually extended and relevant to the game. Plus, the zelda formula was created in this game. It boasts amassive amount of fun, creative atmospheric dungeons all with creative challenging bosses. Plus, the game is one of the most challening in the Zelda series (aside from of course AoL and possibly LoZ). Your sword isn't some almighty object that leaves you untouchable to enemies- it's actualy rather small and you have to time your swings to hit your enemies. The enemies do a huge amount of damage when compared to enemies of other games (TP Ganonorf deals 1/2 a heart of damage. really?) The overworld is one of the best, if not the best overworld we've ever seen in a Zelda game. It's big, jam-pcked with contents and secrets galore, and travelling through it feels exactly how i think it should. It doesn't take too long to travel from point a to point b, but just incase it is too long, you can warp with the ocarina (or flute or whatever). Not to mention, a huge portion of the overworld is opened to us from the very beginning, nd the portions we can't reach are accessable by getting a specific item in a different dungeon. They pulled this off perfectly, unlike SS who butchered the new item= new area concept. It also introduces trademarks such as Zelda's lullabye, teh master sword, the lost woods, Lake Hylia, and Kakariko village.

yeah. i enjoy this game

I love this game too, i'd been playing Zelda all of my life without realising it (too young to put two and two together) but i made the connection with ALttP and a legacy revealed itself to me, ALttP was a lot of fun for me, unlike anything i had or ever did play on the Snes, it was difficult, vibrant, imaginative and is very much a major crux of the series. One just needs to play TP and MC to see its mark on the series. ALttP is the best 2D Zelda game in my opinion. I really loved it and it was nice to play it once more on the GBA.

Even now the game still fills me with s much wonder and the feeling that i'll discover something new and mysterious like i do when i play wind Waker. Its a wonderful game, great items, great puzzles and dungeons, its still hard for me to complete. the gauntlet at the final boss is evil but worth it.

some great moments of the series as a whole come from this. You rescue Zelda in record breaking time by laying siege to a castle and taking your fair maiden through the underground with naught but a sword and torch, true warrior/brave hero stuff and it never leaves me, i always get a thrill when i play that part.

Awesome game it deserves love.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
This was the very first Zelda game I ever played, and I still believe it remains to be one of the best in the series. The story is wonderful, the overworld is full of secrets and surprises, and the music is simply breathtaking. I enjoy every playthrough of this game, and believe that it was, and is a major staple in the franchise. I love A Link to the Past! :mastersword:

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
This game, LoZ, ALttP, has been my first Zelda I played on the SNES. It's very entertaining for me. I love everything of this game. The music, characters, dungeons, items, bosses, etc.

I actually purchased this game on the Wii. Finished it also. I don't know what would I do without this game. It's very memorable to me in my childhood playing this very first Zelda game, that gave me interest in Zelda. I really appreciate this game a lot. I totally adore this game.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
Weird, I never once hated this game. I grew up with it and have always obsessed over it. It's quite simply the best game in the entire world, ever. :D

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I also love this game to death. While it is not my favorite Zelda game (that credit goes to Twilight Princess), I think A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game. This game had so many things I like in a game: it was relatively long, it was challenging while not impossible, there were two overworlds, it was non-linear, there were some great dungeons, and there was a plot twist near the end of the game. I basically agree with everything written in the OP.

Personally, I believe A Link to the Past is overrated but it sure is stellar. Much of the ideas the game presented were emulated in Ocarina of Time and transitioned to the 3D environment.

What did A Link to the Past do right? Introduced a stable story structure which has been used in most installments since; incorporated a dual overworld for the first time; served as a prelude for emphasis on instruments throughout the series.

The most important of these contributions is undoubtedly the dual overworld mechanic. It's been seen in Ocarina of Time, the Oracles, the Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword since. While this initially involved a completely separate world mirrored off the first, it's evolved to the point of traversing the same overworld portions in a different light, namely collecting the Tears of Light in TP and traversing SS's Silent Realms.

In my opinion, ALttP is the greatest 2D Zelda game ever made and I wouldn't mind a remake in the future especially if the 3DS rumor proves to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom