• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Hyrule's Real World Equivalent- Ireland?

arkvoodle

Diabolical
POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Recently, I was looking at a globe, and I decided to see if there were any countries that looked a bit like Hyrule, I saw Ireland, but not because it looked like Hyrule, but because of the striking similarities in the locations, geographical placement and the region splitting. I've always been rather interested in the country, so I did some homework, now, let's go into more detail.

Ireland is a small, almost invisible country in the middle of the Irish Ocean, next to the island of Britain and due east of the USA. Ireland is a very ignored, but interesting country, both for it's history and for the general feel of the country. Though the striking landscapes are normally overshadowed by the various stereotypes surrounding it, such as drunkards everywhere and everyone being incredibly poor. Both of which are incredibly untrue.

That's a bit of background, now back to the main points.

1- Regions

Ireland is split into four regions, each with their own characteristics..etc. In the North is Ulster. In the South is Munster. In the East is Leinster, and in the West is Connaught. How is this similar to TP Hyrule? Well for one, TP Hyrule is split into four regions.

(sometimes Ireland is shown as having 5, 6, or even 7 regions, but the midlands area to the center and branching into the east is counted as one region in general by the inhabitants)

map.gif

Ireland and its four regions​

Ulster in the north (technically part of the UK due to some historical details) is the equivalent of Zora's Domain. This is similar in the fact that Ulster is the home to one of the largest lakes in Europe, Lough (pronounced Lock) Neagh (neigh. Like a horse). The rivers in Ulster mostly stem from this source and lead out to the ocean, and sometimes into eachother. In the south of Ulster, along the border, used to be home to the castle of the High King of Ireland, which existed before the British Monarchy took control and demolished most of these castles. The castle belonging to the High King could be attributed to Hyrule Castle, due to the power that resided within it and the respect the High King commanded from the peoples of the four regions. (which had kings within themselves, but these were more like mayors or tribe leaders compared to the high king)

Lough%20Neagh%20Sunset%20-%20web.jpg

Lough Neagh​

Next up, Munster.
Munster is a very foresty area, and has many resorts and areas dedicated to, well, forests. Munster is very like Ordon and Faron (counting them as one united region because it's easier. Also it's hard to separate/cover the theorhetical 5, 6 and 7 regions of ireland) in the fact that it is surrounded by woods, also because it is the southernmost area of the island. The land here, due to the river system steming partially from the north, is very rich, and is used for farming.

allifies_beara_peninsula_cork_co_munster_ireland_photo_holger_leue_2003.jpg

A few houses in the southernmost penninsula of Ireland​

To the East is Leinster. Being a very mountainous region, can be easily attributed to Snowpeak and the mountainous areas of Hyrule. The tallest mountain of Ireland, Carrauntoonhil, resides here in the mountain range known as the Mourne Mountains. There isn't much explaining to be done, as from the image below, you can see why it is very alike Snowpeak.

108635140_1fb94ab015.jpg

Carrauntoonhil is normally covered in snow year round, but oddly in the winter it can sometimes (on very rare occasions) be bare​

Finally, Connaught. This is the area to the West of Ireland, and is where the Irish Catholics were driven by the Brittish during the Irish Plantation. This area was very poor, and had almost dead farmland. It was, before the plantation, barely inhabited and resembles the Gerudo Desert because of this. During the Irish famine, this was one of the hardest hit areas, due to , as I previously said, the deadness of the area.

2814135110069727321sXDGRL_ph.jpg

A rather lively valley in Connaught​

Another, partly random point is the overall arcitecture of ireland compared to the architecture of Hyrule. Below is an image of a cathedral in ireland. Compare it with an image of Hyrule castle. I believe them to be quite similar.

Armagh_cath.jpg

The cathedral in question
castle2_2.jpg

Hyrule Castle​

So, what do you think? Does TP Hyrule greatly resemble the land of Ireland? Do you think Nintendo chose this as the basis for Hyrule? Have you ever been there?

Many questions, and plenty of time. If you have anything to say to/ask about this, just do so in the section below. :)

Sources:

Google
Google Images
Wikipedia
Plantation Ireland 1556 Onwards (no author attributed)
Map of Ireland (c) mapsofeurope.info/map-of-ireland
Other images attributed to their respective owners, obtained via google images.

Ariel

Think for yourself.
I will admit that I have actually thought of this very same thing. Except, I sort of grouped Great Britain into this parallel of Hyrule as I see some similarities with Wales and Scotland too.

The main point of it is the Medieval feel the game has. Knights, armour, swords, royalty, and the countryside, with owls and squirells and small birds of sorts with horses and farmyard animals greatly resemble Great Britain.

The green hills, the climate (you know, except for the deserts) the meadows, forest but not tropical forests, lakes and rivers all scream of Europe, but Britain seems to me the closest.

The religion sort of fits (Christianity with the holy trinity), the society with merchants and soldiers and sailors all fit. This could all be applicable to Germany or France or even Spain (which has a desert) but at the very least Western European.

The south is too mediterranean and temperate, Hyrule seems further away from the equator than that. Eastern Europe kind of seems too mountainous, but there are lots of mountains in Hyrule, so maybe. I just think that the general feel of it is British. Maybe the Great Ocean could be the Atlantic?

Anyways, it can't be Africa, America, Australia or Southern or Eastern Asia due to geography and biology (ecosystem). I think the only viable alternatives are Northern Europe (not Scandinavia), or Eastern Europe/Western Asia such as in the Caucasus in south-eastern Russia, in those medium sized countries with long and weird names.

Horses were domesticated in Mongolia, agriculture started in the Middle East, I think a great starting point would be the Caucasus if it were to be anywhere but Europe.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus

I hope you'll agree that it seems somewhat hospitable to the Legend of Zelda canon.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus

I hope you'll agree that it seems somewhat hospitable to the Legend of Zelda canon.

Interesting point. But I was more remarking at the geographical similarities opposed to culture, but if I was doing a total overview, I guess nowhere would fit exactly, as cultures and geography won't match up properly anywhere on earth.

Thanks for the link, btw. :)

Ariel

Think for yourself.
I should add then, that the Caucasus have sweeping meadows and fields with forests with mountainous perimeters. The climate is about right too and the biology isn't too different from greater Europe.

Yeah, you'll never get a perfect match, I agree. Though, often one thing influences the other. Such as with geography affecting ecosystem, affecting biology, affecting society and industry. It's all inter-connected maaaaaaann, just think about it. I'm kidding.

Makar

I am the wannabe Kokiri!
Ulster in the north (technically part of the UK due to some historical details)

I actually live in Ireland (sort of) and I feel this is a bit of an understatement, Northern Ireland is a separate country and the residents of Northern Ireland often distance themselves from Ireland. Also, It's the whole of Ulster is part of the UK Donegal isn't a part of it. Just another thing to point out, I've NEVER heard of Ireland being six or seven regions but that's minor.

I agree with you as Ireland is a very lush and green country and I know you didn't mention it but Lough Erne is one of the best looking lakes in Northern Ireland, I spend alot of time there and have often likened it Zora's domain. Although Ireland and Northern Ireland is FREEZING, I don't see how Link could run around in that tunic and not die of a cold.

Awesome thread.

J

jeanbean

It really is Ireland if you consider the fact that "epona" is the Irish goddess of horses. Can't be a simple coincidence. Also in many pagan beliefs the triangle and the number three are symbolic such as it was in ancient Ireland. Three represents the triple goddess which also make an appearance in ocarina of time to explain how their world was created. The Celts also believe in four elements.water, fire, earth, and air which are also prevalent through out the games. And each elemental has its own guardian and it's own magical creature. Nymphs are for water which can easily be tired to the zoras etc.

ILU

i luv u
Yes, a lot of Zelda mythology comes from Celtic mythology, but google "Buy Hyrule Castle" and learn why Hyrule = Italy, not Ireland.

Interesting.
Much like how the creators of the Pokemon will go to real world locations for new games and the movies, I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with Zelda.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
1) It is the Irish Sea, not the Irish Ocean. Ocean's are much bigger than a sea.
2)That must be the most ancient, out of date map of Ireland I have ever seen. You do realise there is Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland? Unless I guess you make NI the equivalent to Termina...
3) Using the thought that it is divided into regions is a bit silly, because that can be applied to almost any country... America, England, Australia...
4) Ireland is ignored? By whom?
5) I can kind of see what you're saying, but I can't agree. I would say if anything, using the argument of regions, maybe the States circa like 1700 would be a better blueprint. I mean, it had fewer regions than now, and more difference in climate than Ireland.
6) I would be very careful to dismiss the difference between ROI and NI as 'some political differences', considering that the problems go back centuries, they are still on the constant verge of civil war, and their issues run a lot more deep than a simple difference of opinion. Just saying.
7) Actually, I have to agree, Italy also makes sense. More sense than Ireland. The Epona reference is no more significant than, say, the various references to Ancient Greek society and so on that exist within Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom