• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrulean Kings

Zelda is always Princess Zelda, even when there is no king present, meaning there must be a king in all games where she is a princess. But how many monarchs does that leave us with?

The kings of Hyrule I've identified in Zelda are as follows, in order of split timeline:
UT:
King Gaepora (this is Zelda's father)
King Rauru (I might be mis-remembering, but I thought Rauru was stated to be king; maybe Gaepora and Rauru are indeed the same person?)
King Gustaf
King Daltus
Unseen Four Swords king (King Talus?)
Ocarina of Time king (King Ordon?)
King Ganondorf
AT:
King Daphnes
Unnamed Spirit Tracks monarch (King Aboda?)
CT:
Unnamed Twilight Princess monarch (King Crenel?)
Unnamed Four Swords Adventures monarch (King Washa?)
DT:
Unnamed ALttP king (King Mabe? King Kanalet?)
Unnamed ALBW king (King Guchini? King Moruge?
Unnamed Zelda 2 backstory king (King Kasuto?)
King Harkinian (Zelda 1)
King Rhoam

Have I missed any, or are these all of them? There are a few that seem more important: Daphnes and Rhoam, obviously, but also King Harkinian, who is only named and only appears in non-canon material, but yet is consistent through all of that material, and was likely kil . Is there an ALBW king, or am I imagining that? Same with Spirit Tracks, I mean Tetra had to have descendants to lead to the Princess Zelda we see in that game, but was this with Link? Was the king the Hero of Winds son, or was there a female monarch? If you have any king name suggestions, please give them.

Last edited:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
King Gaepora (this is Zelda's father)
King Rauru (I might be mis-remembering, but I thought Rauru was stated to be king; maybe Gaepora and Rauru are indeed the same person?)
Gaepora wasn't king. At least not that we know of. He was just the headmaster of the school. He may have been crowned king after the events of the game, but we'll most likely never know.
Rauru was never a king either. He was one of the original sages that built the Temple of Time (and seemingly the only survivor among them). He only exists within the Temple of Light in the Sacred Realm. But he can send his spirit out into the world in the form of the owl Kaepora Gaebora.

or was there a female monarch?
The only one that was ever mentioned is Zelda's mother from BotW. At least from what I can remember. I don't think any other queen has been referenced.

Other Kings of other places that aren't Hyrule:

King Tuft of Hytopia (TFH)
King Igos du Ikana (MM)
King Mutoh of the Cobble Kingdom (PH)
The Ocean King? (PH)

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Honestly, I think that Zelda is always a princess because it's "girly". Princess implies youth, even if Zelda is often in a position in which she would be queen.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Honestly, I think that Zelda is always a princess because it's "girly". Princess implies youth, even if Zelda is often in a position in which she would be queen.
You could be right. Off the top of my head Zelda is only known as a queen in Hyrule Warriors but in TP for instance even though she appears to be the sole survivor of the royal family she doesn't serve as monarch for long at all so it is possible her parents recently died when we first see her or were even killed in the assault on Hyrule Castle meaning there was no coronation for her. I guess Ganondorf technically is monarch again when Zelda is ousted so she would definitely not be called queen there. She likely became queen after the game ends. Same with OOT. Only when The Dorf is overthrown would Zelda be a queen and then Link leaves.

CFC

Man, it'd be great if Nintendo or Miyazaki were to one day release a Silmarillion type book or list of kings, and their lore. X)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom