• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

I have mixed feelings. I love that we're finally going to be able to play through the story 100 years prior to BotW and playing as the Champions will be amazing but I find the gameplay of Hyrule Warriors to be repetitive. The developer from Koei Tecmo said the gameplay would be freshened up since BotW represented a change for the Zelda franchise so I hope it is a little less tedious.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I didn't care for the art style or gameplay of the original HW when I tried it, but this looks amazing. I hope it pulls the smooth gameplay from FE Warriors, which I loved. Definitely hyped.

Lol, making a Warriors game with the content that should have been in BotW to start with.
I really liked Hyrule Warriors so I'm all for this. I do love the Musou genre and a Canon Hyrule Warriors in the most interesting period of BotW sounds hype. The trailer looks great.

Looks like we're getting fresh Zelda in 2020 after all, November is close.

Reactions: Dio

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I wasn’t a fan of HW, so I’m a little disappointed that they’re bringing it back, especially since one of HW redeeming qualities was the sheer amount of characters from across the franchise you could play as, seeing it be restricted to at most 6 characters is gonna be lame.

Also there were a ton of abilities that they’re using that make no sense for them to have at this point in time, such as Zelda using stasis and link using bombs. So I’m a little hesitant on the fact that this is a prequel.

Still, it’s Zelda, and my love for the series surpasses any negative opinions on individual games (I own 2 separate copies of TP after all), so I plan on buying this. I’m not sure how they’re gonna make it not suck this time though.

So since this is gonna be considered canon as opposed to HW, is this considered Zelda 20? Or are we making BotW2 Zelda 20 and this game just another side game?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I am extremely excited for this for a number of reasons.

1. PREQUEL TO MY FAVORITE GAME EVER OMG!!!!!!
2. I really wanted the Champions to be DLC in HWDX but that never came to be. This is even better than that, though.
3. We're probably going to see Impa and Purah in action:
unknown.png

4. MORE ZELDA CONTENT!!!!!!

I don't doubt that the gameplay is gonna be super fun, but one thing I would ask for would be for postgame content as good as HW. The adventure maps in that game offered hundreds of hours of content beyond the main story. FE Warriors didn't measure up at all in that way, as their postgame maps could be done in around 30 hours. I want to see the adventure maps come back in full force, or something just as good.

Last edited:
So we will actually see Hyrule Castle, Castle Town, and all the other villages before they were wiped out?

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Certainly out of left field, but plenty exciting. Some stuff that doesn’t make sense though, apparently they did get the Sheridan slate working? Not looking forwards to watching the champions die. This could easily go very wrong, but it could also go really well. I wonder if the ending will be the same as what’s said in BOTW...

But guys, I have a secret to tell you. My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me that at the end everyone loses! How could they?

Reactions: Dio

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
So these past few days has been very taxing for me personally, I've got a game jam coming up with a deadline on Friday so I've been busy trying to get a game done since then.

Today, I was feeling super burnt out and was almost ready to give the entire thing up. In spite of not really wanting to lift a finger, I went to the grocery store to maybe get some energy drinks.

And this. THIS happens.

COMPLETELY out of left field, a shadow dropped trailer for a goddamn BotW prequel in Warriors style.

I couldn't believe it. It was BotW2-pinching-my-arm all over again. All of a sudden, my motivation and happiness has spiked again and I'm ready to resume work.

I think I'm mostly excited by the whole thing, the fact that it's a much more close-knit cooperation between the original dev team and Koei. It seems to be so much more authentic and true to the lore than the original HW. I love, love, love that we're getting new cutscenes, and that we get to play as the champions, which just looks too dope for words - but my big takeaway is that there seems to be gameplay involving the runes, with that shot of Zelda going Stasis on a Lynel I think.

And November 20. Damn, I might just go ahead and explode already.

This is why I play video games.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm happy about this. I still play the original HW from time to time, since I've STILL got stuff to do in it. It's the best game when it comes to shutting down my brain and just wack at a bunch of enemies.
And this seems to fill that big gaping hole in BotW that is Story, which is just great! And because the champions will actually be in it and play a bigger role, I might start to care about their characters ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom