• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hypothetically, could a Zelda game with no dungeons at all become your favorite ever?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The combat in Zelda is crap, it's kind of fun in the wind waker with the fast paced action parrying and acrobatic feats from link. TP introduced hidden skills which are essential for defeating some enemies which is a step in the right direction. Skyward Sword started the decline where you can epileptic fit your way to victory. Combat got even worse with BoTW where there is no longer specific strategies you need to use to kill most enemies and you can just one hit kill tough enemies without using any strategy when you get a big enough sword.

Without challenging puzzles in dungeons there is no adversity for the player to overcome. Even Skyrim and The Witcher have puzzle filled dungeons and caves even though they are combat focussed. If Zelda scrapped dungeons it would be lessened as an experience. There is a reward in overcoming that mental challenge, fighting a boss then being rewarded with more story. That formula was great and they shouldnt mess with it too much.

They would have to come up with something really good if they want to replace the tried and true formula, (which they can't) so no.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
That’d be a no from me on that. The dungeons and the puzzles contained within are the reason why I play Zelda games. Darksiders 1 and 2 (not getting into the controversy of 3) are probably still the best Zelda games released in the last 10 years. They feel more like a LoZ game than Zelda does at this point. Including BotW for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom