• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hylian Language

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
We've known the hylian alphabet and it's many iterations for years now, but we don't know much about the spoken language, or do we? Analyzing a few things we can observe some possible vocabulary.
Firstly many enemy names have common themes.
One such example is "mol" which could refer to worm like creatures or burrowing creatures like moldorm lanmola and, molduga

stal is another word meaning skeleton as in stalfos and stalchild

Other words we can imply the meanings of include:
-Blin: a suffix describing a demonic savage being
-Tula: Spider, which can also be a suffix
Rope: Snake
Keese: Bat
-fos: a suffix describing an aggressive or hostile being. (Wolfos, Stalfos, Armos)
Deku: describes anything "of the forest" Boko may also have a similar meaning

Another interesting source for Hylian vocabulary is the King of Hyrule in the wind waker.

There's quite a bit to unpack here but here's the facts laid out

Haibushi Danikei
Gods of the Triforce

Gapaithn
Hear that which I desire
"Listen" "Hear" "Obey"

Hamope! Hamope!
Hope!
"Hope"

Hara seek gra bana
I desire hope for these children!
"I (hara) seek (sike) for (gra) children (bana)"

Enni freshin Haira
Wash away this ancient land of Hyrule
"And (Enni) wash away (Freshin) Hyrule (Haira)"

Eraizin Inyasha
Let a ray of hope shine on the future of the world
"Bless (Eraizin) Inyasha (World)"

Inyasha could be broken into
In- : a prefix meaning "all"
Yasha: a realm, world, kingdom, or territory

Bana, the word for child also reminded me if the Deku Baba enemy which in its similar sounds leads me to believe "Deku Baba" is Hylian for "Forest Baby"

There's plenty of other words out there that could begin to fill a dictionary of Hylian words if we pay attention and keep our ears open. Perhaps BotW2 will bring new vocabulary for the series.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I wonder if there are perhaps connections to Japanese in the different -fixes because I hesitate to believe that ninty would actually go through all the trouble to make a fictional language make that much sense.

Of course, it could also be their ingenious way of coding recognition and familiarity in players. This is how players learn the difference between red and green Koopas, for instance. Usually they do this through color. But it can also be done through language. Players can come to identify enemies through their -fixes. Stal- for undead enemies. -Tula for spiders. -Blin for goblin is kind of obvious.

I don't know Japanese, but I'm willing to speculate that these -fixes have relevant meanings in that language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom