• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hylian Bone Structure

zeldafan123

Hero of the Lost Realm
Well hello everyone, I want to talk to you about a topic which has been with me for a long time. as you've all played the 3D Zelda titles (I hope) and you all know of the ridiculous heights Link can fall from. Now I know that femurs (Your shin bones) are stronger than steel and they can stand a drop or two, but Link's or even all Hylians' femurs can withstand drops from well over fifty feet. I've always been curious about the subject and have wanted to talk to someone about it. And to add to the strength of not only their femurs I also wonder how strong the rest of their bones must be. A good example would be in TP when Link is knocked off the ledge by Stallord (The giant Stalfos like monster) and falls on his back. This doesn't damage Link's back or even make him lose a heart, but if you jumped off the ledge before or after the cutscene you would get hurt. The spine of a Hylian must be extremely strong to withstand that kind of impact without hindering any kind of movement. Another incident to help me explain this is when Link gets hit with a ball and chain in the Snowpeak Ruins in TP. The size and speed combined with the weight of the steel ball would break, if not shatter bones to pieces, but this only knocks Link onto his back and makes him lose a heart. Another example would be in MM when Link drops down into Gyorg's chamber and falls well over a hundred feet. I would like to hear your opinions and experiences on the matter and your reasoning on this topic (But don't give me the answer 'it's just a game' please)

Zeldafan123 out.:)

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I don't know if it's so much Hylian bone structure as it is Link being abnormal in his abilities. We haven't ever seen the effects of a different Hylian falling several hundred feet or getting smashed by a giant ball of steel, so we can't really generalize Link's amazing durability to the rest of his race. He is, after all, the chosen hero of the Goddesses, and I'm sure the Goddesses have given him some kind of blessing to make sure he doesn't die from overexertion. It's like, why when Link goes to sleep during OoT he doesn't wake from his 7 year coma horribly emaciated with muscle atrophy? It probably boils down to divine magic or some other force protecting and strengthening his physical abilities.

A good example would be in TP when Link is knocked off the ledge by Stallord (The giant Stalfos like monster) and falls on his back. This doesn't damage Link's back or even make him lose a heart, but if you jumped off the ledge before or after the cutscene you would get hurt.
Adrenaline perhaps? Or his spine is more well protected than his legs by whatever is strengthening his skeletal system. I honestly like to attribute all this non-explainable phenomenon to divine magic when all else fails.

Well, I always felt that since Link is a part of a video game that he was always meant to have better than normal abilities. I know they were given pointy ears so they could hear the Gods speak to them.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I see where you're coming from with this and I'm beginning to understand what you mean about the enhanced abilities, I just thought of the reason that maybe the Hero's clothes give him some kind of powers?
I think TP is the only game where the Hero's clothes are anything abnormal, isn't it? In TP, he's given the clothes by the Light Spirit, implying they may offer some sort of magical enhancement for his physical abilities, but not in the other games. In OoT and MM, it's customary Kokiri clothing. In WW, his grandmother made it. In SS, it's a standard knight outfit.

zeldusfanaticus

im the puppet master
besides it being a videogame so natural laws don't always apply, ALL hylians are magic inclined im pretty sure it says that somewhere. so link, having magic in the blood, and being the goddesses chosen hero, would undoubtably give him some abilities and characteristics beyond the norm

maybe he has bones made out of adamantium

This isn't marvel it's nintendo. To answer the OP, I think it all boils down to Nayru, since she did create the physics of the world. Every single question anyone has about anything having to do with the strange physics of Zelda boils down to Nayru or magic.

I just tend to write it off as Nintendo logic. I mean, of course it would be Nintendo logic to stuff the Deku Scrub Princess into a bottle that's about a tenth of her size or so.

I mean, it is a video game. Besides, you see similar occurrences happen in Mario, and he is a human (presumably...).

If you're on the subject, you might as well wonder how Link doesn't burn up if he accidentally jumps into lava. Or how he can be so near to lava without Fireshield earrings (magic) or a Goron tunic (magic clothes).

Nintendo logic, my friends.

Trying to figure out video game logic is like trying to answer the ultimate question: "Why?" It'll never happen. To avoid going crazy trying to make sense of it, I just accept it for what it is. Same reason many video game characters (including Link) can take blade swipes through the body and not lose a limb or even get cut by it. Besides, a truly realistic game would be no fun to play. You might as well just go out and live your own life. BORING, lol.

I think it's just a case of looking a little too into a game. Even in games with humans, like GTA for example, humans are depicted walking away from incidents they have no business walking away from let alone surviving. Or in many games, folks being shot a gazillion times or right in the face but still being alive and fighting back. In we made games with realistic damage like that, it would be a terrible game. Can you imagine Link having to run to a Hylian hospital or something every 5 minutes because he broke a bone?

Video games are meant to be fun, and in doing so we remove the normal limits of our hero because without it a game wouldn't be very fun and indeed Impossible to beat most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom