• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hybrids...

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
A news post on the main site inspired me again. If you remember the last time it happened you have won a million internets.

This time it was that artwork of Link and Ruto. I posted a comment on there about the pairing being unlogical, since hylians and zoras probably can't crossbreed. I'll be backing up my claim here, but this topic isnt limited to hylians and zoras. Which hybrids do you think are possible and which do you think arent?

Look at the obvious differences between the two species. You've got one species that's mainly aquatic, and very likely has both lungs and gills. The other can't breathe underwater without a special tunic.

Zoras, according to my theory, would probably lay eggs like fish. But while fish lay thousands of eggs at a time, zoras would have small clutches of one or two. Most fish just lay their clutches and leave them there to fend for themselves, which is why there has to be so many, because a lot of them arent going to survive. On the other hand, zoras have parental instincts, so the one or two youngsters will grow up without being eaten by something. Not to mention, 1000 kids at one time would drive anyone insane. Before anyone asks how zoras can have boobs and lay eggs, think of a platypus. It's an aquatic egg laying mammal that feeds milk to its young. So now that I think about it, zoras are more comparable to platypi than fish. Just with no hair, scales instead. I don't need to go over the process that hylians use...they're pointy eared humans. Logic dictates that they would operate identically to humans in this world.

Still not convinced? Then I go into the second phase of my argument: genetic differences. A zora/hylian romance session, if it's even possible, won't produce a child. Genes just won't mix. It would be like a cat having offspring with a squirrel. Cats and squirrels both have pointy ears and long fluffy tails, but the differences outweigh the similarities. So the humanoid appearance of zoras does not mean they can crossbreed with hylians. They're two completely different species.

Kudos for sitting through that...you are now free to discuss.

Dan

True it would be unlogical but that's the fun with video games in general they don't have to follow the rules of reality. It's one of the reason I love them so much. While yes link and Ruto couldn't crossbreed if it were real life it's wouldn't stop Nintendo from doing so if they really wanted to...

DinNayruFarore

God of Goddesses
The goddesses probably made this illogically made species possible. They do seem to have humanoid features as seen in Twilight Princess, but you do have a point in them being unable to crossbreeds.

Sooooooooooooo…
What about Gerudos? I saw that article about them being a geneticist's worst nightmare back awhile ago.

Dragoncat

@ Dan: I'm one of those nerds who likes using real world logic to explain things in games that don't make sense otherwise. But yes, if Nintendo said it could happen, I'd have no choice but to believe them.

@ Din Nayru Farore: Oh god gerudos. That's a debate in itself...are you asking what they can crossbreed with? I'd say hylians and that's it...

Didn't MM prove that Zoras lay eggs? So it's not a theory, it's a fact.

Yeah, Gerudos don't make a whole lot of sense... maybe they just use Hylian males for breeding?

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I don't think they want to have their next king with a bunch of jumping, singing, goofballs. Just saying. Didn't mean to offend anybody.

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
I feel like since Zelda is a fantasy game, that almost anything can happen in it. This being said, the magical powers of some hylians or similar species (Shiekah, Gerudo, etc.) would permit the co-mingling and mating of these species. Also, if Zoras and Hylians had 23 chromosome pairs (or some other number), this would also allow a possible mating between these two species. If they could not mate under normal circumstances, maybe they could go to a Fairy and ask for her magical assistance in the birth of their child, making her a Fairy god-mother of sorts :P I don't know, I think that it wouldn't be all that hard in the realm of Hyrule for these species to mate. However, I don't think it would be possible for creatures such as Gorons and Zoras to mate, as this would take some literal divine intervention.

Dragoncat

@ Lance Lercher: The fairy theory sounds plausable...but just because two things have the same chromosome number, I don't think that means crossbreeding can happen. There would still be too many differences in the genetic code itself. Sure, they could probably romance each other if they wanted to, but that would be as far as it goes...

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
@ Lance Lercher: The fairy theory sounds plausable...but just because two things have the same chromosome number, I don't think that means crossbreeding can happen. There would still be too many differences in the genetic code itself. Sure, they could probably romance each other if they wanted to, but that would be as far as it goes...

You're right, it's just I feel that it would help a little, and I also say this, because a Mule is the combination of a donkey and a horse (two different animals with only a semi different number of chromosomes). I think that magic would have to play a big part in it though, whether it is in the genes or from an external source like a Fairy.

I am not entirely sure if this would be considered actual hybridization or whatever, but I think it'd be cool to see a Gerudo|Sheikah hybrid. (lol)

I hear the argument that "anything is possible in the Zelda series", and while this is true to some extent, it is apparent that Zelda, like most games, has some basis in reality at the very least. That said, I highly doubt anything of the nature of Hylian|Zora crossbreeding exists in the Zelda universe [at this point in time] not only because it wouldn't work (from a realistic standpoint), but because it'd be too problematic overall, especially when it comes to actually explaining it [in-game]. The only way I can ever see anything of that nature occurring in the series is via divine intervention, much like the strange Zora→Rito evolution deal (in The Wind Waker); copped-out explanation, yes, but it works. (lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom