• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Humor in Zelda

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
I feel like there is already a lot of humor in Zelda, and if there were more in it, then it would take away from the seriousness of hyrule getting taken over by evil villains. What do you guys think? Should there be more or less humor in Zelda? Should it be more or less obvious than it already is? What are your thoughts?

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I don't really think that if they added more humor there would be less seriousness to the situation. At least not if they added a little more humor. If they made it so that there is always something funny, then there would be a problem with it.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
It depends on the game. LA was supposed to be a very whimsical game, so it had a lot of humorous characters and ...references. TP had a very serious story so it only had a few comic relief characters with little actual humor. It's refreshing that they keep making games all along this spectrum.

I like humor but not kid's humor. Like petty fights between idiotic bvillains, I think it's stupid. However I enjoy a bit of sarcasm here and there.

I'm always a fan of the quirky humor the creators throw in. It has a time and a place in the story, however; it doesn't have to exist apart from seriousness.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
It depends on what kind of game it is. If it's a game like The Wind Waker then there should be humor. If it's like Twilight Princess, perhaps not as much humor, but a bit. Humor is never bad, it's always good.

I agree with Locke. The quantity of humor in a specific title depends on the specific atmosphere the developers had in mind for the game.

Something that I'd like to see more, however, is blaming serious elements with more humorous or comical ones. This was done especially well in The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword. In the latter, Link started out on the peaceful and seemingly unharmed Outset Island. By game's end, he found himself face to face over tumultuous waters combating Ganondorf. The deaths of both King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule and Ganondorf in that game strike a particularly strong juxtaposition with the game's overall light-hearted tone. In Skyward Sword, Ghirahim is the perfect embodiment of a menace out to capture Zelda and prevent Link from rescuing her however he clearly has some clever and hilarious lines and enjoys toying around with the hero a bit too much.

Overall, humor is an additional spice added to the already excellent Zelda titles and should be used rationally whether it be to provide an effective transition in the side or main story or provide a sharp contrast between certain aspects of a game.

I thought there were a lot of funny parts in SS. In the past games funny parts were scarce..... Well maybe not WW though

there's a good amount that wouldn't stray too far from the seriousness. though, i don't know if it's just me, but groose's character design was just too satirical for me. in serious scenes, his face just makes me laugh. i can't take him seriously.

The little sarcastic remarks and tiny jokes here and there change the game so much, it makes it so much more fun! I love the current amount if Humor in the Zelda games :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom