• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Would You React if the Next Zelda Game Was Rated M?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
It would really depend on the reasons behind the rating. If it was to be blood and violence, then I could deal with that. If it was to be suggestive themes and a surplus of profanities, then I'm going to have more of an issue with that. I'd probably seek out why the M rating entails the latterly mentions via the internet before purchasing the game, or consult a friend who's already played most if not all of it. Otherwise, I'd still be more than happy to support this marvelous franchise, despite what a black bold letter in a white box tells me about the game.

Twilight Princess tried too hard to be dark...

Can't help but wonder if you considered the game while you wrote this statement... Twilight Princess has several sections that would, in my mind, constitute a dark Zelda. Only near the beginning, after King Bulbo had stormed Ordon Spring and abducted the younglings, Link tried to chase the marauders, but instead encountered a black wall of twilight. As he neared it a hand reached from it and snatched him then jerked him inside. This part stopped my heart when I first saw it, and even now I can't help but twitch. Yet that's not all. Right after that, we watch his horrible transformation from human [Hylian?] to wolf. That by itself is something usually found in a horror movie.

Other parts include the foreboding cutscene of the Interlopers after freeing Lanayru from its curtain of shadow; Colin's second kidnapping, when King Bulbo storms Kakariko Village and almost tramples over Beth; Arbiter's Grounds, an entire Dungeon that's full of dead and undead beings from a tortured past; Yeta, who had transformed into a raging beast by her fascination to the Mirror Shard; and last but certainly not least, the terrifying sections of Zant's Hand tailing Link tirelessly while he desperately tried to make off with the Sol. These are only a few elements that come to mind. I'd also include the "twilight zones", but they hardly had any fear factor to them, other than the Twilit Bug fight at the very end, maybe.

You say that Twilight Princess failed, but I say that TP balanced out the scariness perfectly. If the developers truly intended it to be dark, then they would have made it so. But I imagine they'd have to limit that frightfulness because: 1. they wanted a younger audience to be able to enjoy the game all the way through and 2. they didn't want to produce an M-rated game out of it. Had they gone much further than they did, it might have turned out that way.

Last edited:

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I wouldn't overreact to it.
I think it would be an interesting change to what people are normally use to. But I think that it's nearly impossible for a Zelda game to be rated M, I just don't know why. I wouldn't think there would be swearing or whatever else rated M games have. The only thing I could see going for a rating of M is blood...

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
There is nothing inherently wrong with an M-rated Zelda game but my opposition to such a proposal closely resembles why I'd rather not see another darker installment. By transitioning to a higher ESRB rating, increased emphasis is placed on gritty executions rather than refined gameplay and narrative.

Twilight Princess tried too hard to be dark and failed to recreate the same sentimental effect I experienced while playing Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker. An M-rated game would be far from the most mature Zelda. That title is currently held by The Wind Waker, a classic coming of age tale told through an intricate lens of love, betrayal, and sacrifice. Ironically it's the "kiddiest" looking installment of them all.

You're speaking of the past... I also don't see how gameplay will suffer, considering every Zelda game is about gameplay. Nintendo doesn't make a Zelda game with an art style or story in mind. It eventually comes to them through gameplay.

Personally, I never received any sort of sentimental effect while playing a Zelda game. Nothing about Majora's Mask made me care about the people of Termina. They were just drones who make you do things like in any other game of the series. Also, what makes WW a more mature title than TP? Nothing. Having a deep story doesn't equal mature game... You're completely taking "mature" out of context. It's absurd to think a game will suffer because of a darker tone.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
LegendOfZelda said:
I would not like it. Unless it shows Zelda's breasts...then I'd like it.
Lol, remember sumo wrestling Link in TP? What if he took those pants off *bricked*

A Link In Time said:
An M-rated game would be far from the most mature Zelda. That title is currently held by The Wind Waker, a classic coming of age tale told through an intricate lens of love, betrayal, and sacrifice. Ironically it's the "kiddiest" looking installment of them all.
I can't say much about this having not played WW, but that sounds a lot like SS' story too. Except maybe without the betrayal...also, TP had a riveting story too. You're a rancher living out in the boonies, you work all day, and run errands for the villagers in your free time, sometimes you get some sword practice in as well. All of a sudden you're thrust into chaos when your home is attacked, the monsters take your friends, and you've been turned into a different species to boot! A mysterious character offers to help you if you help her, at the beginning she just wants to save her world and doesnt care about yours, but later she becomes a true friend. Through all of this, you become the hero you were destined to be.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Yeah, JJ's post sums up my reaction too.

However parents of younger Zelda fans wouldn't like it, and younger fans might not like it either

There isn't an inherent problem in M-rated games but many tend to be emotionally flat-lined, focusing primarily on gritty aesthetic. There is no denying these games can and are great but they simply don't appeal to my tastes. I'll never turn down a game because of an ESRB rating but it certainly would prompt me to heavily reconsider.

Whether or not a game carries sentimental value is a subjective construct as well. It largely depends on your values as a person and what actions against these proposed maxims you deem harrowing. I find TWW to have major tonal shift throughout, progressively darkening as the story progresses, but others like Turo are free to feel the opposite.

Thareous said:
Can't help but wonder if you considered the game while you wrote this statement...

There is no denying that Twilight Princess offers its fair share of dark moments but they pale in comparison to those offered by Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past which were dark as a result of their good design. Ocarina takes time to develop its characters before launching into the traditional dark segment whereas A Link to the Past centered on worlds and developed the Dark World as an ominous, ever looming hub.

Many fans deem Majora's Mask to be a darker game than Twilight Princess and for good reason. It's almost postmodern in its design. MM successfully communicates an atmosphere of hopelessness which TP largely misses due to poorly developing its characters and throwing them out of significance at random points in the story.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
There isn't an inherent problem in M-rated games but many tend to be emotionally flat-lined, focusing primarily on gritty aesthetic. There is no denying these games can and are great but they simply don't appeal to my tastes. I'll never turn down a game because of an ESRB rating but it certainly would prompt me to heavily reconsider.

Where are you getting the notion that M-rated games are so dark and gritty that they fail to do other things correctly? There are plenty of M-rated games that tell great stories and gain emotional reactions. Ever play Red Dead Redemption? Assassin's Creed? Hell, even Gears of War. Especially Gears of War.

Whether or not a game carries sentimental value is a subjective construct as well. It largely depends on your values as a person and what actions against these proposed maxims you deem harrowing. I find TWW to have major tonal shift throughout, progressively darkening as the story progresses, but others like Turo are free to feel the opposite.

I never argued against WW taking a darker tone throughout its progression. Every Zelda game has its dark themes and moments. It's just hard to find anything sentimental in a Zelda game other than the main story, gameplay, and key characters. TP did the same job if not, better than OoT when it comes to the categories I just listed. Not to say that OoT is lacking or anything, because it's all really debatable.

There is no denying that Twilight Princess offers its fair share of dark moments but they pale in comparison to those offered by Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past which were dark as a result of their good design. Ocarina takes time to develop its characters before launching into the traditional dark segment whereas A Link to the Past centered on worlds and developed the Dark World as an ominous, ever looming hub.

Many fans deem Majora's Mask to be a darker game than Twilight Princess and for good reason. It's almost postmodern in its design. MM successfully communicates an atmosphere of hopelessness which TP largely misses due to poorly developing its characters and throwing them out of significance at random points in the story.

Developing it's characters? Since when are characters in The Legend of Zelda series developed? You can name a few here and there, but that's spanning an entire series of 16 games. I am very doubtful that Majora's Mask holds the majority.

TP was a dark game from beginning to end whether or not people want to admit it. The Zelda series as I've stated earlier, has its dark moments. That on its own doesn't make for a dark game. Developed characters doesn't also mean better executed, just more relatable. Twilight Princess had a dark atmosphere with the perfect art-style to back it up. I hear many complaints about how dull and depressing TP looked, but isn't that the point? It's automatically setting the mood. Personally, I never really got a dark vibe from Majora's Mask aside from a few things here and there.

Last edited:

Joy

The Sexy One
I wouldn't like it. For me Zelda symbolizes a childlike and innocent game. If it was rated M it would take some of the sweetness away. No doubt I'd enjoy it anyway but the concept does not appeal to me.

A

Aito136

The title of the game could be The Legend of Zelda: This Game Sucks and I'd still buy it. I think that there is a difference in the mature Zelda some people would like to see and a Zelda game rated M, since most people probably just want a Zelda game that's more realistic, or just a darker (or scarier) version of Zelda. I don't think most people would really notice the M though, if this game was made, and most people who did wouldn't react.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Red Dead Redemption
Hated how Mr.Marston went out. That was such a bleep move on the part of the cops. :/

So, swearing and blood are natural and fine, but the human body is a horrible abomination? Better go warn the Renaissance artists (and Georgia O'Keeffe.)
Some people don't want to see nudity in Zelda. Is there anything wrong with that? It's how their morals play out, homie. I don't want nudity in this theoretical M rated Zelda, but I'd be a-okay with swearing and blood. Partly because my own morals, but also because I'd like to enjoy the game without contemporaries pointing out "that's what she said" or "ooo-la-la" or whatever else nasty things they have to say. Besides, blood wouldn't take away from the Zelda feeling I get and neither would some swearing here and there. Nudity, though, would eat up a lot of they just paint it across the board. Not saying they would, this is Nintendo, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom