• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Would You Rate Skyward Sword?

How would you rate Skyward Sword? (10 being best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Z

zadeer101

I feel truly horrible saying it... but Skyward Sword did not meet Zelda standards... heck, it didnt even meet normal game standards...
I wanted to cry the whole way through the game because it honestly felt like a crappy 3rd party wii game instead of a magnificent Zelda game.
When it came out, I heard people say it should win game of the year. That is a true insult to the vast majority of games (like Skyrim) which
are head and shoulders above the poor quality of SS. Come on Nintendo! There hasnt been a good Zelda game since FSA (yes, im probably
the only person who liked FSA...)
Lets all agree that WW is best (:

Dan

Quite frankly I can't even bother to go into details describing such trash. I'll go with a 4\10
At least I got a gold remote out of it...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well, I'm not trying to change YOUR opinion or how YOU feel, but SS was very story oriented. Granted, there was a ton of padding, but the game always reminded you of the primary focus of the game: find and save Zelda. Maybe SS didn't tell the story as good as it should have, but it was there nonetheless!

For the first few dungeons, yeah, finding Zelda was a huge issue, but that was more of a goal than actual story.

You get your premise, Zelda is captured, and then you are given the goal of finding her. With Ghirahim, you know SOMETHING is up, but the story hasn't unfolded. Actually, it sorta reminded me of how Spirit Tracks handled things.

Both start off with the story setting, present the story, take a long back, and then unload the story at the very end. In the case of Skyward Sword, a great deal of it felt like it was just dumped on us all the sudden in one very large cutscene, which, I confess, was pretty darn dramatic and awe-inspiring.

It was more or less me saying that people who Mario or call of duty generally don't care about story in a game. It was horrid story telling compared games like Mass Effect or KOTOR, but it did better then some of the other Zelda's.

To the older ones definitely. But I think tWW and TP were more story central. SS was about on par with ST, maybe more focus on SS's part. It definitely beat Phantom Hourglass.

Skyward Sword had a much more active plot, what with the multiple cutscenes, grander sense of character development, improved dialogue, and overall presentation value. It's the most story-focused Zelda game yet. Not that it wasn't still mostly gameplay-focused, of course.

Ehhh I still disagree. The plot didn't really start to pick up until after the third dungeon. And the story itself didn't really take its toll until after the sixth. I didn't see much character development, with the exception of Fi at the very very end. Even then, that pales in comparison to other partners like Midna, Tatl, and even KoRL.

The lack of exploration and linearity brings it down in this area as well as the lack of difficulty.

I'm not going to agree or disagree with you, but what the hell is with fans and Skyward Sword's difficulty? Everyone seems to be a completely different page. Some are calling it too easy, some calling it decent, some calling it fairly challenging by Zelda standards, and there are even some calling it impossibly hard at times.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Ehhh I still disagree. The plot didn't really start to pick up until after the third dungeon. And the story itself didn't really take its toll until after the sixth. I didn't see much character development, with the exception of Fi at the very very end. Even then, that pales in comparison to other partners like Midna, Tatl, and even KoRL.

The plot was the most active up until the third dungeon. :mellow:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm not going to agree or disagree with you, but what the hell is with fans and Skyward Sword's difficulty? Everyone seems to be a completely different page. Some are calling it too easy, some calling it decent, some calling it fairly challenging by Zelda standards, and there are even some calling it impossibly hard at times.

The problem with fans and SS' difficulty is that the difficulty doesn't lie in working around the enemy AI, but in how well you can make use of the controls. Some people find the motion controls to be too easy to master, so once they master the controls they essentially finished the game -- every enemy tracks Link's sword like a fool for the most part. Other people have problems with motion controls, so they cannot defeat enemies as easily as they might want to, and thus the game has a large amount of difficulty.

Another facet of difficulty iwthin the game aside from combat is the puzzles. Every single puzzle within SS has been done before in the realm of gaming. Most people play games outside of the Zelda realm, so it's pretty likely for a large amount of the SS playerbase to have done the puzzles before and thus it feels like they're playing bits and pieces of other games whether those be Zelda games or not. I myself find the game to be ridiculously easy because I've done the puzzles before and the combat isn't hard to master (I've been waving wands around since Kindergarten, thanks a LOT, Harry Potter). :>

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The problem with fans and SS' difficulty is that the difficulty doesn't lie in working around the enemy AI, but in how well you can make use of the controls. Some people find the motion controls to be too easy to master, so once they master the controls they essentially finished the game -- every enemy tracks Link's sword like a fool for the most part. Other people have problems with motion controls, so they cannot defeat enemies as easily as they might want to, and thus the game has a large amount of difficulty.

Yeah, that's not really the case. It's not about mastering the controls, although that does play a decent role. It's about being capable of reading and reacting properly to enemies' defenses. If you're quick on your feet and have a good reaction time, then you probably won't have too much trouble with the combat. If you're not so good at these, well... yeah, you're probably gonna have a tough time. No matter what, though, this is absolutely more difficult than waltzing up to an enemy with no defenses whatsoever and spamming a button. That's indisputable, since the button-mashing takes no effort at all, whereas Skyward Sword's combat actually requires a significant amount of player input.

Another facet of difficulty iwthin the game aside from combat is the puzzles. Every single puzzle within SS has been done before in the realm of gaming. Most people play games outside of the Zelda realm, so it's pretty likely for a large amount of the SS playerbase to have done the puzzles before and thus it feels like they're playing bits and pieces of other games whether those be Zelda games or not. I myself find the game to be ridiculously easy because I've done the puzzles before and the combat isn't hard to master (I've been waving wands around since Kindergarten, thanks a LOT, Harry Potter). :>

So dropping bombs on foes heads via a flying mechanical beetle-like device has been done in gaming before? Riding along the carcass of an electrical snail-like enemy has been seen in gaming before (or at least Zelda)? And I suppose timeshift stone-based puzzles have been seen in gaming before, as well?

I think you get my point. You're not giving Skyward Sword nearly enough credit for its puzzle-solving. It has some of the best puzzles in not just the Zelda franchise, but in general gaming.

DarkestLink

The plot was the most active up until the third dungeon. :mellow:

...Oh? ...So what happened? I must have missed it. This is what I saw.

"Introduction, Zelda's Captured, Go save her, Do a dungeon......do a dungeon.....do a dungeon.....oh hey now Zelda's back in the past."

Yeah, that's not really the case. It's not about mastering the controls, although that does play a decent role. It's about being capable of reading and reacting properly to enemies' defenses. If you're quick on your feet and have a good reaction time, then you probably won't have too much trouble with the combat. If you're not so good at these, well... yeah, you're probably gonna have a tough time. No matter what, though, this is absolutely more difficult than waltzing up to an enemy with no defenses whatsoever and spamming a button. That's indisputable, since the button-mashing takes no effort at all, whereas Skyward Sword's combat actually requires a significant amount of player input.

I see your button, but that's not necessarily true. Particularly with the later games. Let's compare to beginning and the end of this control scheme with OoT and TP.

Ocarina of Time:

Wolfos: You can button mash, but a more effective way of killing this is to slightly back up...back up with it claws at you...and then jump attack/shoot an arrow at its vulnerable back.

Iron Knuckle: Young Link can button mash, but if you do this as Link, you clearly have a death wish. Still, the way to kill these are equality repetitive. Simply move up, jump back at its attack, jump attack, repeat.

Multiple Iron Knuckles: Ignoring that fact that you can simply wake them up one at a time, you can still effectively just attack the one in front with the same method as before.

Twilight Princess:

Wolfos: Good luck button mashing this sucker. It runs away too quickly. Instead, the key element is to catch it.

DarkNut: This requires Hidden Skills to be done effectively. And Hidden Skills aren't so much about button mashing. It's about using the right move at the right time.

Multiple DarkNuts: This is definitely not a button mash. You have to be quick and on your feet to handle these because they can really work as a team. Whether that was by moveset design or Nintendo was just lucky, I don't know.

Regardless, not every enemy is just button mashing. Some even require specific items to handle.

Hmmmm...that's an interesting theory. So you didn't have any trouble in the game at all? Not even areas like Lightning Round for all the bosses?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
"Introduction, Zelda's Captured, Go save her, Do a dungeon......do a dungeon.....do a dungeon.....oh hey now Zelda's back in the past."

Hmmmm...that's an interesting theory. So you didn't have any trouble in the game at all? Not even areas like Lightning Round for all the bosses?
That's basically what I gathered from the story as well. The other things, such as forging the Master Sword, didn't feel like plot points in and of themselves, rather little things we do along the way because we're told to.

Nope, not even the Lightning Round. Once you know how to swing the blade, you can master each and every enemy as if they were a cake. The most trouble for me came from the Silent Realms, and that's because speedrunning is such an arduous task! I actually looked at ZFG's videos to plan my route, but I'm not even close to being as good as ZSR runners ._.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
As a video game...
I don't really have any complaints about it in this realm. If you want to introduce someone who doesn't play Zelda to the series, this is the second best game to do so. (First place is tied with OoT and TP). There's really nothing too wrong with this game. In fact, as a video-game, it does way more things right than it does wrong. Incredibly rupee game.

I disagree because of the motion controls. Like I've said before, not everyone can or will play a game with motion controls. The general population, though, probably don't mind it.

DarkestLink

That's basically what I gathered from the story as well. The other things, such as forging the Master Sword, didn't feel like plot points in and of themselves, rather little things we do along the way because we're told to.

Yeah, maybe "pick up" wasn't the right word. Perhaps "rekindle" would have been more appropriate. It sorta go active for a little bit until the fourth dungeon and then didn't really rear its head until after the sixth. But man it really just dumps itself then.

Nope, not even the Lightning Round. Once you know how to swing the blade, you can master each and every enemy as if they were a cake. The most trouble for me came from the Silent Realms, and that's because speedrunning is such an arduous task! I actually looked at ZFG's videos to plan my route, but I'm not even close to being as good as ZSR runners ._.

Really? How odd. I had a little trouble doing the Hero Mode full Lightning Round. The Silent Realms were actually pretty easy for me. XD

I dunno it was an excellent game, it's just soooooooo new its not nostalgic enough to feel like a 10. Its impression hasn't set in deeply enough yet.

I don't know about you, but the only games that are nostaligc to me are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Amazingly the older games don't feel that way. Maybe because I wasn't a big gamer in the 2D era.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
When it comes to difficulty, all factors come into play. However, I will admit that when I Personally say "difficulty" with the Zelda series, I give puzzle solving 67% of what I'm talking about. If the puzzles are essentially easy to figure out, I'm more likely to call the Zelda game easy. (Most of the time but not always. The older games I give enemies more credit). Why do I do this? Well, essentially everything in a Zelda game is a puzzle. Even fighting enemies is a puzzle because you have to figure out how to defeat your foe before you can actually do it. SS did indeed have foes that required a bit more timing, but the strategy to defeating them was easy to figure out. Most of the strategies for the non-bosses were also mainly the same. (Knowing when to swing your sword and bash your shield). Other games had enemies such as OoT redeads, WW sea creatures and a wide variety of foes that made you switch up your strategy moreso than SS. Now I'm not saying the exact same strategy is used to defeat every single enemy in SS. What I'm saying is that the difference of strategies for past Zelda games (mainly the 3D ones) had much more noticeable differences than SS. And even if the strategy in SS wasn't so obvious, you have a partner (like in a good number of Zelda games) who tells you how to defeat your foe. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way than to have a partner giving me knowledge, but for some reason, I felt Fi did this a bit more detailed than Navi or Tatl and because of that, she dimmed down the difficulty even more. I felt that while Navi and Tatl gave clues, Fi was a bit more direct though sometimes Fi would only give a clue and I'd instantly know what to do because I'd seen this type of strategy before.

Now if you put aside the enemies and just look at the puzzle solving itself, the concept of "SS is easy" becomes even more clear. Not TP easy mind you, but still pretty easy. Like Ventus said, the strategies SS implemented were in a lot of other games and Zelda games. If the emphasis of your game is puzzle solving and then you're not really solving puzzles, you feel like you're just going through the motions. Albeit, there were a few puzzles that get your noggin going, but the majority of the game was look at puzzle, instantly know solution, do it. I've actually excused TP for this as it is even easier than SS, but one thing TP had going for it was its creativity. You knew what to do in TP, but once it was done, you were still surprised at the results and not only that, but it was really fun!
"How do I get down this mountain? Oh, roll into the tree and ski that's easy enough! Oh em goodness! This skiing is awesome! I can swing my sword while I ski too!?! Shoot, I'm going back up and doing this again!"
Not that SS didn't have things that were different, but it had things that weren't as unexpected. A toy beetle is interesting, but... not too out there. I've seen out of place machinery in Zelda before and I've been able to control objects from a distance before. However, a cog that lets me ride around machinery like an amusement park ride... I never would've even thought that would be in my game.

I'm diverting a bit here, but to get back on track, SS was easy to solve. The main thing it had going for it difficulty wise was that its enemies were a bit more intelligent, but their strategies aren't too complex nor too different from each other. Once you figured out the strategy and get the motion controls down, all it took was patience. I compare SS to TP because while I too felt TP was even easier than SS, it cushioned its easiness with creativity. Without that, I simply can't look past the SS's easiness.

(And all this is excluding the argument about things like dowsing and gossip stones).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm diverting a bit here, but to get back on track, SS was easy to solve. The main thing it had going for it difficulty wise was that its enemies were a bit more intelligent, but their strategies aren't too complex nor too different from each other. Once you figured out the strategy and get the motion controls down, all it took was patience. I compare SS to TP because while I too felt TP was even easier than SS, it cushioned its easiness with creativity. Without that, I simply can't look past the SS's easiness.

...? TP had more creativity in its combat than SS? How... exactly? Pretty much all of TP's enemies boil down to running up to them and spamming the B button. SS's enemies each have specific ways in how they must be handled. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that amounts to SS having more creativity.

Last edited:

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
...? TP had more creativity in its combat than SS? How... exactly? Pretty much all of TP's enemies boil down to running up to them and spamming the B button. SS's enemies each have specific ways in how they must be handled. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that amounts to SS having more creativity.

Hes right, but for those of us that are button mashers it was perfect. SS was creative but the sensitivity of the remote made it hard to attack the enemies when they required a specific hit to defeat. Sometimes I would swing left and it would go up instead or I would swing my whip and the game would do nothing, was a huge pain BUT easily remedied with lots of fairies for remote fail deaths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom