• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Would You Rank the Star Wars Movies?

Recently at school, my friends and I have been arguing over how we would rank the Star Wars films from best to worst.

Most of us say:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

But one of my friends has A New Hope at the very bottom, saying that it's the worst by far since it's "boring and pointless."

And another friend of mine has The Phantom Menace at number one, without any reason past Liam Neeson and Darth Maul.

What do you guys think?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't really think I can rank them on best to worst, but I can on my favorites.

1. The Phantom Menace. Because of the story. It was the most charming one to me.
2. Return of the Jedi. The ending celebration always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
3. A New Hope.
4. The Empire Strikes Back.
5. Revenge of the Sith.
6. Attack of the Clones. This one just wasn't very interesting.

So yeah, they're kinda all over the place for me.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Something along the lines of:

Star Wars/The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi (I could probably list these best to worst, but the difference in quality is so small that it's not worth mentioning)
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
1- Return of the Jedi. Ambiguous Luke with a snazzy Green Lightsaber.
2- A New Hope. The grand original and it still feels so fresh. Also, Han shot first.
3- The Empire Strikes Back. Started off a bit slow but man did I love the city at the end.
4- Revenge of the Sith. Nice storyline if a bit cheesy in places.
5- Attack of the Clones. Campy and cringey but I loved Obi-Wan's solo portions.
6- Phantom Menace. It's why child actors get a bad rap. Cringefest.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1 Revenge of the sith- The most interesting by far, great fight scenes. However it is Ian McDiarmid's performance as Palpatine in this one made the film for me, his transition from kindly politician to evil emperor during the film was brilliant

2 The Phantom Menace- I agree with your friend on why this one is good. Liam Neeson and Darth Maul

3 Attack of the clones- I like this one because of the fight between Yoda and Dooku, also i found it a more exciting watch than the original trilogy

4 A new hope- It's the first star wars I saw and introduced me to the films

5 Return of the Jedi- It's a good ending, i like the celebration scene and the scenes with Jabba.

6 Empire strikes back- It's the second film in a trilogy which generally is the worst of the three. It's not bad but i was more excited by the first and last films of the original trilogy.

Pen

The game is on!
Ah, Star Wars, it's been quite a while since I last watched any of the films, but here's my list anyway:

1. Return of the Jedi
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. A New Hope
4. The Phantom Menace
5. The Empire Strikes Back
6. Attack of the Clones

I'm not as big a fan of the original trilogy as some people. I love Return of the Jedi, but the other two movies didn't do it for me. At the end of the day, however, it can't get worse than the nonsense that was Attack of the Clones. Talk about a convoluted love plot. The Jango Fett scenes were cool though.

My final ranking is:

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. The Phantom Menace
4. The Empire Strikes Back
5. A New Hope
6. Attack of the Clones

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
While you can make objective observations about art and what it offers or does in comparison to ideals or other artwork, I'm of the strong opinion that any sort of objectivity on what people should enjoy instead of what they actually enjoy is quite meaningless. So I'm not delusional enough to pretend that I somehow have access to objective truths about which Star Wars movies are "better" than others in an absolute sense. So instead, I'll simply rank them according to my personal favorites.

1.) Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

2.) Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

3.) Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

4.) Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

5.) Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

6.) Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (I rank it last, but I still quite enjoy it)

Reaca said:
without any reason past Liam Neeson

Well, to be fair, that's reason enough to like any movie.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
My favorite SW film would be the original Star Wars, known as A New Hope. It's just great in every aspect for me. To really sum it up I feel that it has an interesting and deep main plot with characters that I just love, and it was the film that introduced everyone to the world of Star Wars. Empire Strikes Back comes in as a close number two, and the Return of the Jedi right behind it. I feel that the entire original trilogy is amazing and each film is perfect in its own way but the first film is my number one since it is the one that opened the doors to a whole new world (galaxy).

The prequel trilogy I don't hold on such a high pedestal and there are plenty of reasons for that and listing them all here would just feel pointless since there are probably hundreds of videos, articles, and professional academic papers on why that is so. To be really blunt I'd have to say that The Phantom Menace is my least favorite because it is boooring. Attack of the Clones is a tiny bit more interesting than the previous one. Revenge of the Sith was actually a pretty good movie but there were still parts that just made me sigh.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Attack of the Clones > RotJ = TPM > RotS = ESB

Why...the flashiness and the battles. Star Wars has always had terrible writing to me. Stories mostly unintriguing, uninteresting. The action is what gets me with Star Wars, and AotC delivers it to me in spades.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Loved Star Wars growing up. I still have every figure of every character. :D

Anyways,

1. Return of the Jedi
2. A New Hope
3. Attack of the Clones
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. Phantom Menace
6. Revenge of the Sith

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom