• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How Would You Like Ganondorf to Be Done in Zelda U?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
First, let us assume that the villain of the title is going to be Ganon/dorf. I think this is very likely since he's not been in a new game for a while.
I want to know how you would want him to be done this time around. I think he's been very abused as a character, overused in the sense that he's been involved in titles that have really done him no justice whatsoever. The only titles in my view that he's been treated well in is the 3D titles and ALTTP. In TP he could have been handled a bit better but I quite liked his appearance there, it was a genuine surprise for me.

This time around I'd like him to be the clear threat from the very beginning with him being the obvious main villain. I liked the active approach of Ghirahim in SS with there being multiple encounters between him and Link. I'd love to see that with Ganondorf. Perhaps he could be actively seeking out the hero of time this time around, knowing that murdering him would be the only way he could conquer the world without being deposed. Ganondorf is often portrayed as arrogant with it often being the cause of his downfall so, in terms of his personality, I'd quite like to see a wiser more calculating Ganondorf this time who's confident in his abilities still but who also knows he can be defeated so long as there is one of the hero's bloodline to stand up to him.

So there is my idea, what is yours?

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I want another Ganondorf that isn't definitely evil or simply out for vengeance. I want a Ganondorf who is attacking Hyrule to make a better life for his (or possibly even all) people, even if his methods aren't agreeable to Link, Zelda, the "good guys". I'd like interaction with genuinely good NPCs that like Ganondorf and speak well of him, giving the player insight on how Ganondorf isn't actually a bad guy at the core.

First, let us assume that the villain of the title is going to be Ganon/dorf. I think this is very likely since he's not been in a new game for a while.
I want to know how you would want him to be done this time around. I think he's been very abused as a character, overused in the sense that he's been involved in titles that have really done him no justice whatsoever. The only titles in my view that he's been treated well in is the 3D titles and ALTTP. In TP he could have been handled a bit better but I quite liked his appearance there, it was a genuine surprise for me.

This time around I'd like him to be the clear threat from the very beginning with him being the obvious main villain. I liked the active approach of Ghirahim in SS with there being multiple encounters between him and Link. I'd love to see that with Ganondorf. Perhaps he could be actively seeking out the hero of time this time around, knowing that murdering him would be the only way he could conquer the world without being deposed. Ganondorf is often portrayed as arrogant with it often being the cause of his downfall so, in terms of his personality, I'd quite like to see a wiser more calculating Ganondorf this time who's confident in his abilities still but who also knows he can be defeated so long as there is one of the hero's bloodline to stand up to him.

So there is my idea, what is yours?

Pretty much this, but instead of the "I'm wasting my time, I'm leaving" thing Girahim did, I think that he should become enraged and Link is forced to retreat, possibly resulting in a chase scene.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
dark, thin, and tall. no abnormally large gerudo nose. scarlet hair, not pumpkin. I want to see him on that black stallion from OoT again too.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would like to see his head get cut off, but that will never happen, sadly.

HAHAHA! That pleased me greatly to see you put that for some reason. That's an awesome idea. It's kind of silly how in The Fellowship of the ring which is rated PG you see Aragorn impale the uruk hai captain after which the captain pulls the sword deeper into himself only to have Aragorn rip it back out again and decapitate him. I really don't see how having a decapitation would make Zelda a more mature rated game if they had that kind of violence in a PG.

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
He needs to look like he did in wind waker with a two sword fighting style, then after being beaten turn into Ganon and use two different swords.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Oh I forgot to put about how I'd like him to look.
Ganon1.jpg
Like that

It's the design used in a zelda manga project

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, if Nintendo actually decides to finally make Ganon the main villain again, I’d want them to pay homage to the older games. By this, I mean, like, have him be the traditional blue pig that half of the younger, closed-minded gamers probably don’t even know about. If Nintendo wants to make a new Legend of Zelda game correctly, they’re going to have to appeal to the long-term fans of the series rather than feeding to the main crowd—what likely went wrong with Skyward Sword and why most of the praise I’ve seen for it comes from people unfamiliar with the franchise.

Ever since they decided to give Ganon a human[oid] form, his transformation into his bestial form never actually stayed true to the depiction of the ideal “blue pig” because the artists were too focused on trying to make it somewhat resemble Ganondorf’s design from whatever game it happened to be. I really think in order to get a deep game that satisfies the hardcore Legend of Zelda fans—and if Ganon happens to be the way Nintendo goes in regards of a villain (which may not be the case)—he should just maintain the same form throughout the duration of the game like in older titles.

I suppose interaction could increase in regards to trial-and-error on Link’s part. What I mean by this is that lacing plot twists could say that Link attempts to confront Ganon multiple times and he actually canonically fails (not death, per sé, that’d be hard to work with unless another hero rises in his place).

---
There is also the chance that Nintendo is going to make more silly prequels, because they seem to like doing that to implode our minds. If that’s the case, Ganon might be too young to be the villain—if preceding the events in Ocarina of Time, though I suppose he technically could be in the game, though it’d just be very awkward. Nintendo likes awkward, though… *cough*Ghirahim*cough*. (he'd be humanoid in this instance, though...)

Oh I forgot to put about how I'd like him to look.
View attachment 32531
Like that

It's the design used in a zelda manga project

That...is pretty awesome.

Basically, I want Ganondorf thoroughly fleshed out with the rest of the story. That goes without saying. If we're going for specific points, though, I have a few to make.

#1: Let us understand Ganondorf more. The original and FSA Ganons both have slightly different motivations, but neither have allowed us to see into their psyches much. The Wind Waker gave us a small taste of why Ganondorf might have initially invaded Hyrule, but this was left to mere speculation. I want to hate this guy as a villain but respect him as a character. I want to know what life in the desert was like for him. I want to know why he became obsessed with power (aside from Demise's curse). I want to know how he viewed steeping so far into dark magic and bloodshed. Most Zelda games build him into an "I'm big and evil, now hate me and kill me!" villain but don't expound on his rich history or motivations. It's time to see the guy for what he really is.

#2: The return of pig Ganon. Not just as Ganondorf's mute, angry, obligatory final transformation. In the pig beast's original form, he could speak, plot devious schemes, dress with panache, and wield humungous weapons. Since Ocarina of Time, he's more or less been turned into some generic brute incapable of speech. Let's see classic Ganon again. It would do wonders for nostalgia and would probably improve storytelling. Speaking of which....

#3: Dual personalities. The pig beast Ganon may have been quite intelligent in his original design, but he still got that way from being drunk with power and laying bloodstained hands on the most sacred artifact in Hyrule. There have got to be some psychological differences between the human Ganondorf and the beast Ganon. Ganondorf could be more cold and calculating while Ganon could be angry, aggressive, and constantly lusting for violence. It would be an interesting dichotomy to see, and if thrown in with appropriately expounding on his past, would make Zelda U's impression of Ganondorf the best in the series. Maybe transforming into a beast pains him. Maybe he actually dislikes that part of him. Maybe he has voices in his head. Who knows? It would be an interesting concept to toy around with.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Same way he was in TP. Badass, in character, and with a henchman so we have room for a developed villain.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I see some people in favour of bringing back the traditional blue pig form. Just an idea, but he could look human in the light world but when in the Dark world his inner evil would show through and he could appear as the pig there.

I'd like him to be done well....

I'd like him to be the main villain, have no underling or pawn, i'd like him to be intimidating and given a cool role and person like it WW with how deep his character seemed to be. I just want the G-man back really, i've not craed for a single Zelda villain since the last time we saw him. Bellum, Malladus, Ghirahim and Demise have all sucked. Seems to be that Ganondorf is the only villain nintendo can do right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom