• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Would You Fix Your Least Favorite Zelda Game?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Of what I've played so far...

Majora's Mask only needs a simple fix for me: The ability to save at any point in the game, just like in *most* Zelda games! Seriously, that's it! That's the one thing that frosted my cookies with that game! I know Skyward Sword is sort of the same way (you have to find statues to save in that), but it wasn't as bad in SS for me because SS doesn't have a freaking time limit!

It's not much of a problem in terms of convenience because you can warp there...the real problem is that it doesn't ACTUALLY save your game. Like if the game freezes (which MM is prone to), then your owl statue didn't save. You go all the way back to your last Song of Time reset. =/

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's not much of a problem in terms of convenience because you can warp there...the real problem is that it doesn't ACTUALLY save your game. Like if the game freezes (which MM is prone to), then your owl statue didn't save. You go all the way back to your last Song of Time reset. =/

Oh no, it actually does save the game...for a time being. It's a quick save feature, something of a save-state, like in Super Mario Bros 3. Once you continue, the save state is erased, and you continue on with your quest. ;)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Oh no, it actually does save the game...for a time being. It's a quick save feature, something of a save-state, like in Super Mario Bros 3. Once you continue, the save state is erased, and you continue on with your quest. ;)

Which is pretty much no better than not saving the game at all.

Scoby

France
fixing SS would be pretty easy, just remove Zelda from the game because she stinks and add a harder difficulty option.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
I don't really have a least favorite game so I'll just list what could have been improved in all the ones I've played.

LoZ:

The graphics for starters. I know the game came out in 1986 but I think they could stand to remake parts of it.

All the dungeons look alike. More diversity in dungeons would make it more interesting.

Too non-linear, things are in too obscure of places. For instance, you have to burn every tree and bomb every wall if you want to find everything. At least ALTTP gives hints as to where to bomb. Worse yet is until you get the red candle, you can only burn one tree per screen.

AoL:

I have a love-hate relationship with the challenge of this game. I will say that the difficulty was too steep at times, especially in the beginning. If you're not a veteran Zelda player, you'll probably die many, many times and have to do alot of grinding for experience points. Also if you get a Game Over, you lose all your experience points. Not cool.

ALTTP:

Not much I'd change here. I think I remember some of the things to find being a little too cryptic, so maybe some more hints in the overworld?

OoT:

I'd get of Navi's "Hey Listen!" I thought the water temple was good except for having to keep equipping and de-equipping the iron boots and having to go into the menu each time. I'd improve the Skulltulla quest by making the reward at the end more worthwhile.

MM:

I'd fix the save system. Namely, you don't have to put your money back into the bank before you restart. I'd probably add a couple more dungeons and maybe make it slightly less sidequest focused.

WW:

I'd ramp up the difficulty level and improve the dungeons. The dungeons didn't seem very memorable to me. Neither did the bosses. I'd allow for warping across the sea earlier in the game. I'd improve upon the figurine sidequest by allowing the pictograph box to store more photos at a time.

TP:

Not much I'd fix here. I'd probably make the boss fights a little challenging and make the poe sidequest more interesting. Having a magic meter would be good too.

ST:

Train travel is too slow, even when you get force gems that open up more tracks. I'd also get rid of the microphone controls and play the spirit flute via a stylus.

SS:

I wasn't a big fan of the motion controls, I would prefer more traditional controls or allow the player a choice between the two. I would have liked to have seen more action and things to do in the sky and have the three provinces interconnected.

well my two least favorite games not counting the four swords games cuz lets be honest those arent even real zelda games are phantom hourglass and skyward sword. now dont get me wrong i did like skyward sword and i liked it even more when i went back and played through it a second time but there are still many flaws in that game that i just can't ignore. one thing i would fix in both games are the fragmented overworlds and the inability to really travel anywhere on foot. one of the things that defines a zelda game in my opinion is the ability to travel anywhere in the world and discover secret caves, treasure chests, and go on optional sidequests and both these games did a very poor job of executing that. there are several things i would fix with phantom hourglass but I'll just touch on the two most glaring issues with the game, the music and the temple of the ocean king. the music is absolute crap and i don't care if you like the game or dislike it there's no arguing with the fact that nintendo did an all out halfa**ed job with the music. why is it that almost everywhere you go in the game it just plays the same sort of generic music without any sort of variety? but there's something worse in this game than the music and you know exactly what I'm talking about, the temple of the ocean king. this ruined the game for me. i mean come on what's with having to keep coming back to the same dungeon and having to solve the EXACT same puzzles again and again and again. i mean really did no one at nintendo think this was a bad idea? now lets move onto skyward sword, the first thing i would fix is Fi. oh my god, i could fill a book with things that i hate about Fi but I'll try and just sum everything up. Fi is by far the most annoying companion throughout the entire series. I mean really nintendo must have thought we as gamers are really stupid, I mean really popping up to tell me I'm low on hearts? yeah I couldn't figure that out for myself with the game already beeping constantly and with my health being ON THE SCREEN! and it's not like she'll just occasionally pop up and tell you about what you need to do no she is constantly pointing out obvious. the only thing i can equate this to is having a little kid following you around wherever you go constantly tapping you on the shoulder and breathing down your neck. another thing I would fix and I have said this before is the overworld. Skyward Sword has the worst overworld of any Zelda game I've ever played IMO be cause it is just so linear and broken. the three regions are completely separate from eachother meaning you can't travel from one region to another on foot which i will remind you makes absolutely no sense. I mean why couldn't I have just gone from the forest to the volcano on foot? my second complaint with the overworld is the sky itself. the sky is completely barren with barely anything in it. also the bird sucked to control.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks need a visit from an axe. Lets ease into their failure by talking about mail. Every location has a mail box. It dances when you have mail. Why? I don't know. It was that way in windwaker too and I really don't care. Its nice enough to make you not go out of your way to receive the random notices. But in PH, you examine a mail box and a mailman spontaneously appears to give you your mail after he reads it aloud to you. Now ST laughs at the reading aloud portion but it still has a guy to come from nowhere to give you something that you could have just checked the box for. Now all three games could benefit from your mail being there as you leave not as you arrive but the dance (or at least some signal) was necessary because otherwise no one would frequently check on them for infrequent messages.
All t he y need though is to be left they way ww had it.
(Now why does clock town have so many mail boxes? Lets just accept that that mailman has no life. Although the TP mailman running at you is unorthodox it works for me because it has no place to pick it up yourself)

The real problem: Touch controls suck. The only things that were hard were hard because I couldn't control link or it wouldn't accept what I drew. The final bosses exemplify this. Drawing the hourglass was near impossible, hitting the rocks back was blah- "I'm trying to slash my sword at it, not roll into it". The ice maze was the opposite: "why are you slashing your sword?! I want you to change angels and roll". I know that if you removed the touch you couldn't draw boomerang paths but those puzzles could still be kept and mostly maintain the perspective so many people love if it just switched to a first person and had like a tp target setting system. Things like drawing phantom zelda's path could stay but eh.
Blowing on the mic was a huge joke. Playing the flute was more bothersome than the harp and any hope for ST was ruined in my eyes when the first item required you to blow. Playing on a 3ds where your hand easily may be blocking the mic doesn't help.
The one thing in which the ds proprieties benifited was the need to "press" your map to the one in the ocean temple by closing your system.
Fix: Let people use the d pad to move, b to swing the sword, a or r to roll just as it has always worked,,, WELL Excellently!!!

Again, why do you not have to work to gain your hearts. Every quest just awards a full container. I don't even want to talk about ST's force gem system. Also almost all people are extremely static. The worlds are filled with nice people who will say at most 4 different things the entire game. At least zelda had about two things to say about pretty much every station. Answer: just add more content.

WW:
I'd ramp up the difficulty level and improve the dungeons. The dungeons didn't seem very memorable to me. Neither did the bosses. I'd allow for warping across the sea earlier in the game. I'd improve upon the figurine sidequest by allowing the pictograph box to store more photos at a time.

I wouldn't say I'd want a completely unrealistic capacity but when you have to go back to one place more than three times just to take picture and then leave there is a problem. Then I like the realism of the creation of figurines taking time to be made but playing the song of passing (or whatever it was called) 4 or 6 times is a real bother (at one point I did workouts to pass the time-pushups, crunches, etc.). The same effect would have been achieved if they were made by the next time you were in. Honestly sailing wasn't that bad. There were also the "legendary" pictographs witch were impossible to all buy at once: you had to come back on many different days (I don't even know if they were game or real days). At that it would have been interesting to be able to get one at auction. Again the 3 pic limit was troublesome for getting characters/enemies you can't get at anytime. Much better than ST or PH travel.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
I would fix Wind Waker by getting rid of it altogether! XD

Sorry WW fans, it's not the cartoony style that bothered me, I just HATED the Triforce shard quests and I honestly just hated the Great Sea and the dungeons.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
My least favorite game would be Phantom Hourglass, but despite it being the least on my list, I still enjoyed it, as it was a Zelda game.

So, I'm just going to say one thing that I think the Zelda games need, specifically the modern ones.

Make them more difficult.

Yeah, they seem to be getting easier and easier. ALttP was challenging enough for me, but OoT was not. Sure it had its difficult places here and there, especially puzzle-wise, but the bosses were just too simple. Queen Gohma was alright, being the first boss, but they really didn't get increasingly harder. King Dodongo wasn't much harder. Phantom Ganon was simple once you understood his tactic- which didn't take long. The Water Temple's boss was easy (looking at how hard the entire temple was). Bongo Bongo wasn't very hard, but was freaking awesome, so I don't mind that too much. Ganon was even quite simple, considering that knocking away my Master Sword did absolutely nothing (had the Biggoron Sword).

Majora's Mask was okay, to an extent, so I won't really focus on MM. My biggest problem was that Wizrobe showed up like 4 times!

So, when I mean more difficult, I mostly mean the bosses. Look at TP- it's bosses were way too easy. Some say Blizzetta was difficult, but she really gave me little challenge at all (just me). And the Dragon, anyone? I can't remember his name, but he provided no challenge and was incredibly easy to figure out. The only difficult one was Stallord- which I believe was more of a puzzle than a boss fight, what with all the timing and aiming with your Spinner and everything. Ganondorf gave little challenge at all- and in fact got progressively easier as the battle went on.

I haven't played SS or WW yet, but I expect this factor to be somewhat similar.

So yeah, I'd make OoT, MM (sort of), TP (definitely), PH and ST, and probably the other 3D games, much harder in their miniboss and boss fights. A lot of them had great concepts, like the Dragon in CitS or Phantom Ganon, but were just too simple the way they were, and I would change them to make them much more difficult.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'd fix Adventure of Link by taking it out back and beating it with a shovel until the twitching stopped.

Ah, but no seriously there are quite a few areas I could find to fix.

I'd remake it using better graphics. Those NES graphics are garbage. Make it something more like ALttP and it'll be better.

I'd make the overworld design less confusing. I'd do a better job of conveying to the player better what it is they are supposed to be doing. Don't make it insultingly easy like what some of the modern games have done, just... better than what's present in the game.

I'd make the dungeons not quite so spread out. Seriously, they're just too damn big.

I'd put a little more work into the NPC's and the towns. Make them more meaningful to the quest, and for crying out loud let us actually see Link being healed so people like myself don't get stupid ideas in their heads.

On second thought... all that just sounds like a carbon-copy of ALttP... so yeah I'd just bury AoL afterward it in a coffin with cement, then drop it into the middle of the friggin' Pacific so that it can't hurt anybody ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom