• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How would you feel about exploring the same botw landscape, only transformed?

Imagine playing Alttp only in the light world, and then playing Alttp2 in the dark world. It would be kind of like this.

But perhaps the discovery of entirely new areas whenever you play a new game makes up a large part of the appeal.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I don't think I've ever really played two games with the same overworld but my gut tells me I wouldn't really be opposed to it; I think the world design of botw is for the most part good but it could use some fine tuning to feel less empty and less vertical

I don't think I've ever really played two games with the same overworld but my gut tells me I wouldn't really be opposed to it; I think the world design of botw is for the most part good but it could use some fine tuning to feel less empty and less vertical
Thanks, Mikey. Any idea why you might not feel opposed to it? You’d miss out on the discovery of new areas, but perhaps it could be exciting enough to explore recontextualised areas.

Personally, I’m divided on it, because exploring new areas feels like I’m expanding, kind of like stretching out to find the new boundaries. To already know the boundaries and instead explore within those means there’s no more outstretching, but there is room for discovering new layers.

I guess it’s a little like territory (boundary-finding) vs meaning (function-finding). Perhaps that’s an oversimplification but I think it’s something along those lines.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I'm fine with it, as long as they include a fair amount of unexplored areas too. For example, the caves. There could be a whole other world under the land of Hyrule, just waiting to be explored. If Nintendo does decide to reuse BotW's landscape, they would need to have it dramatically changed for me to want to explore it again, and develop good plot points for why it's changed so much.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
As exciting as finding something new is, theres also a thrill in looking to discover what has changed. I think that concept is more common in new game+ playthroughs but also exists in normal gameplay on occasion (skyward sword is a good example of this and I do love that gameplay)

@Mikey the Moblin

I agree, although I think the key question in all of this might be whether you’re happy to play a sequel where there are no new areas, only evolved ones. Unless of course, they are new physical layers of area (besides layers of meaning), such as underground or new buildings. What do you think of the latter, of creating new villages in botw’s empty areas?

@Echolight

Suppose they did revamp the whole map with a huge underground labyrinth-type world, would you be happy with this, given it’s all without sky? Personally, I found the underground layers in other games interesting, but unenjoyably claustrophobic after too long. As I mentioned to Mikey, perhaps there could be new settlements above ground too.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Suppose they did revamp the whole map with a huge underground labyrinth-type world, would you be happy with this, given it’s all without sky? Personally, I found the underground layers in other games interesting, but unenjoyably claustrophobic after too long. As I mentioned to Mikey, perhaps there could be new settlements above ground too.

As long as they don't make the caves too small or too dark, I'm personally fine with it. There could be sections where the caves are brightly lit up with glowing crystals, and spots where there are holes in the roof, letting sunlight dapple the cave floor. Maybe there are a race of people living down there that utilize the glowing crystals and build their village with some of the crystals, like the Zoras do with Luminous Stone.

I'd expect them to make the caves like above ground: A wide underground open-world that you don't necessarily need to explore if you don't like darker areas, but if you enjoy caves, you can spend endless hours in them.

I think building new villages above ground is a great idea! I'd love to see rebuilt Hyrule Castle Town. I think expanding and developing already existing towns like Kakariko Village would be nice too.

Archer

Whatever
A dark world in BotW 2 sounds interesting, but it would also mean a lot of tedious work would need to be put into it

I honestly wouldn’t mind it. I mean, it’s not like I can remember every single part of BoTW’s map in the first place.

That said, they will have to make changes to the world and its geographical features.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I spent over a thousand hours exploring BotW's Hyrule and I still wouldn't mind it being in BotW2. What I personally want to see is an underground (which is kind of what the teaser is implying) that stretches all out under the overworld we already know, with pelnty of new stuff to explore under there, many exits leading back up to the surface, etc. And then I wanna see some reconstruction on the surface. Towns rebuilt, ruins renovated, etc. I think it would be really cool to explore the reconstruction of Hyrule on the surface while adventuring in the dangerous dark underbelly.

I spent over a thousand hours exploring BotW's Hyrule and I still wouldn't mind it being in BotW2. What I personally want to see is an underground (which is kind of what the teaser is implying) that stretches all out under the overworld we already know, with pelnty of new stuff to explore under there, many exits leading back up to the surface, etc. And then I wanna see some reconstruction on the surface. Towns rebuilt, ruins renovated, etc. I think it would be really cool to explore the reconstruction of Hyrule on the surface while adventuring in the dangerous dark underbelly.
I hear what you say and that’s effectively what Alttp did with the dark world (albeit transforming the land instead of going under it). I guess the main question is would you be happy not venturing outwards to new places? I’m kind of divided, like the feeling of going outwards to new places tells me I’m growing my territory, like I’m conquering new land. But to go inwards within the land is like I’m reflecting on my territory and settling. What do you think?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I hear what you say and that’s effectively what Alttp did with the dark world (albeit transforming the land instead of going under it). I guess the main question is would you be happy not venturing outwards to new places? I’m kind of divided, like the feeling of going outwards to new places tells me I’m growing my territory, like I’m conquering new land. But to go inwards within the land is like I’m reflecting on my territory and settling. What do you think?
Going out of Hyrule *would* be cool, but as things stand, there isn't a reason to. As much as I'd love to see them do that, they're still trying to tell a story that takes place *in* Hyrule, so I really dont expect to be able to leave its borders.

Going out of Hyrule *would* be cool, but as things stand, there isn't a reason to. As much as I'd love to see them do that, they're still trying to tell a story that takes place *in* Hyrule, so I really dont expect to be able to leave its borders.
But would you feel like you missed out on the territory-expansion aspect if it was only about settling into the established area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom