• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Will Nintendo Move Forward from the Switch?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
While scrolling a Discord server earlier, I noticed someone mention the delay on Metroid Prime 4, and the lack of overall Nintendo news lately. They concluded saying they felt Prime 4 and potentially Breath of the Wild 2 are going to end up coming along at the end of the Switch's lifespan. I suppose they are right, it may not feel like it, but if the past is any indication of what's in store for Nintendo's future, we are towards the latter half of the Switch's lifespan (if we assume it will only last for a 6 year cycle). I'm wondering how does Nintendo move forward from the Switch?

Should they continue on with the portable/home console experience? Do you think future Nintendo consoles will be similar to the Switch, but with beefed up specs and a new design? Or will they completely depart from this avenue of gaming to tread new paths? Alternatively, perhaps they won't abandon the Switch so soon? I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts!

Nintendo have said the Switch is nearing the middle of its lifespan and they want to ride it for 7-8 years, which means the Switch has around 4 more years left.

Nintendo won't want to abandon the Switch too fast with how successful it has been, especially since they could still put out a revised model.

If MP4 and BotW2 came out the 'end' of the Switch's lifespan then there'd have to be some fairly nasty delays on top of what we have.

Miyamoto has had interviews fairly recently where he said Nintendo are already working on the next console and creating its concept and that they once again want to try and revolutionise the controller, whatever that means

Nintendo are masters of the left field, they are impossible to predict, I just hope whatever they do they do well and that it is a success because the industry is better as a whole if Nintendo are strong.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I think Nintendo would be very unwise to abandon the current Switch concept for their console. It's been ridiculously successful and has been able to appeal to both casual and core gamers in a way that the GameCube, Wii, and Wii U couldn't. I don't want Nintendo to reinvent the wheel again and have their next system flop because they want to be different from everyone else. I think a new Switch model is all that's needed to keep the momentum going.

Heck, Nintendo could release a more powerful Switch right now if they wanted to, given how the tech is there for it. Personally, I would like to see a more powerful model release in the next year or so, but I can't deny that Switch game and console sales don't necessarily warrant a new model's release.

On the other hand, upcoming AAA titles like MP4 and BotW 2 would greatly benefit from the extra power that a new model would provide, while hopefully not alienating Switch owners who don't want to upgrade. It could be a PS4/PS4 Pro situation, where new games will be enhanced with the revision, but the old system can still run it as well.

But all of my thoughts mean nothing because this is Nintendo, and Nintendo are known for being completely unexpected. I don't mind that though, as long as they don't make another Wii U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom