• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Was TWW Good?

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
Where to start... For one the graphics are wonderful, very smooth, very easy on the eyes, and I don't think any graphics could've suited the game better. And it's not like the cartoony-ness is distracting, before long you can really focus on what's going on and see how intimidating or ugly monsters or bosses or even characters are.
Then there's the music which also shined. Most of it was very original and there were some clever remixes (Forest Haven-Kokiri Forest). I also liked a lot of the "instruments" used.
The gameplay and swordplay was very smooth, very easy to get used to. The dungeons were generally easy, but they were fun and innovative too. There was so much exploration and sidequests.
The plot, I'm at a loss of how to praise it. It was engaging, it made me sad, it made me laugh, I was shocked, I really felt for the characters in some parts. Even Ganondorf, they added a whole new layer to him. Frozen Hyrule Castle was creepy and sad when it was restored. I was completely surprised when Tetra was revealed as Zelda, and the King of Red Lions as King Daphnes.
As for the sailing, it's not that bad really. I mean, the most you had to do for a long time was when the Great Sea was cursed, and even then I was distracted by the awesome music. And once you get the Ballad of the Gales the sailing time is cut more than in half.
The only part I don't really like is getting the maps translated and pulling up the Triforce pieces, collecting the maps is pretty fun though. But that's pretty much it.

Danlo

Daniel
I liked most of things about it, only sailing was a tiny bit boring. But music was good( Especially Dragon Roost Island :) ) and I really liked it Graphics. The story was interesting, combat was fun and the dungeons are fun

TQX

Bow Master
To make it short: It was a beautiful and impressive game. When my house was burning, i should ran inside to take that game from the table!! (Alright, that`s going maybe a bit to far, but it`s still a great game..)

Beeker

Wild Card
So the game may have easy dungeons and dull sailing mechanincs, but all of that is hidden under so many other parts of the game that made it one of the best in the series.

The plot: The plot for the game was amazing, nothing like we've ever seen before. It had emotion, darkness, and a lot of lighthearted humor in it. It also gave Ganondorf his own story and a personality, more than just a power hungry man.

The graphics: The graphics were great for the Gamecube, possibly even better than some of the stuff on the Wii right now. I know many people were turned off by the graphics(I sorta was at first), but I've fallen in love with the beautiful cel-shading.

The music: I think it's the best part of the game. This game has its own memorable tunes, like Dragon Roost Island and the Great Sea. The music greatly helps in setting the mood of the game.

Don't let the negatives bring down the many positives of this game.

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
"Ahoy! Small fry!"

1. The Soundtrack
First off, as many have said, the soundtrack was just amazing. The Title Theme, Outset Island, Dragon Roost Island, Molgera Battle, just all of it is spectacular and I always find myself tapping my foot or moving my head whenever the music changes before game control is given back to the player.

2. Swordplay
Secondly would be swordplay for me. When I first stepped into Orca's dojo and begain training I realized how fun this game was going to be with just the functions of the sword attacks. "Finally something besides 'Shield then Slash'". You actually had to master your timing and combos to be good at it.

3. The Exploration
Third on my list was exploration. "Sailing was dull and annoying", damn that pisses me off. How can an overly expansive world (though it be mostly through sailing) be boring? Whats the difference between riding Epona around a literally empty Hyrule Field and sailing a boat (talking boat I might add) through a much larger ocean? Collecting buried treasure? Heart Pieces? Discovering the true meaning of a random island? Come on now. You obviously don't play the game for anything other than saying you beat it.

4. Graphics
Finally, the topic of taboo. When judging a game on graphics you can't just say "It looks less realistic so therefore the graphics suck". That is the main thing I tend to see or the true meaning of what people mean when they say that the graphics are bad. A game with good graphics is smooth and slick, you know when graphics are good when you find a safe spot to idle and switch to first person to just look around at the games splendor. A game that looks "realistic" can be very pretty, don't get me wrong, I love next/gen graphics just as much as the next guy, but you have to realize that is not what makes a game great. Look at all the games, of all types, that tried to push a realistic world and had tons of glitches and freezes. All in all the point is, judge a game accurately on graphics, not just its "realism". I think the younger generations suffer from this sickness more than others and I feel bad for them. (You're not going to say Final Fantasy 7 was a bad game compared to Final Fantasy X-2 because of graphics are you? If you do I'm going to punch in the face.) Therefore I give Wind Waker a very high rating on graphics.

5. Plot
Seriously? Do I even have to mention this at all as being one of the main selling points. If you didn't like the plot, well, there are no words to describe how disappointed the world would be with you. Basically, Wind Waker kept me on the edge of my seat and up late when I was suppose to be going to work in 3 hours.

6. Sidequests/Minigames
Holy Crap there were so many that there was always something you could go do instead. Tired of grinding the deep blue sea to find what you're looking for? Stop off and shoot the fish in his arrow challenge, test your skill. Hard up for rupees and have some free time? Go throw a few pieces of mail around and earn some cash.

7. Finale
In my closing statement I'll just say this. Wind Waker was one of the few Zelda games that made me appreciate the series as a whole for the simple fact that it was different from the rest, in many ways. It opened my eyes and helped me understand that the games are not good based on how well it looks or for its simplicity (though its not). Its stems back to the corny phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover".

AwesomeLink86

Link is awesome!!
3. The Exploration
Third on my list was exploration. "Sailing was dull and annoying", damn that pisses me off. How can an overly expansive world (though it be mostly through sailing) be boring? Whats the difference between riding Epona around a literally empty Hyrule Field and sailing a boat (talking boat I might add) through a much larger ocean? Collecting buried treasure? Heart Pieces? Discovering the true meaning of a random island? Come on now. You obviously don't play the game for anything other than saying you beat it.

I have to totally disagree with you here. First of all, I find OoT, MM, & TP way more detailed that WW ever was. I never found Hyrule field to be empty (maybe slightly in OoT) and in TP there were caves and such all over the place to explore. The Great Same was literally the same everywhere you went!! Occasionally the weather would get pretty messy and the water changed to a darker color. However as clean and pretty as the cell shaded graphics in that game were, it lacked a lot of detail. And yes sailing from island to island gets boring. I never could stand when the island I was trying to get to was far away from a warp point. I also felt many of the islands were too small for what they should have been, and the extra islands not in the main quest eventually got repetitive! For example: 3-eyed reef, 2-eyed reef,. 8-eyed reef, cyclops reef, etc. And these islands in particular did not have much to them. So how can an overly expansive world be boring?? You just said it: it's OVERLY expansive.

And I for one do NOT play Zelda games for the sake of saying I beat them. I have played OoT, ALttP, & TP and many other Zelda games over and over and over again searching and exploring every nook and cranny of the game. But this game's overly humongous Sea made it quickly boring and tedious. I would have preferred if the islands were bigger and there were more to explore on land. That's just me though.

Now I didn't hate WW either though before you get that idea. I did love the smooth play controls and story (to an extent). Whereas the dungeons weren't the best in the series, I did like the boss battles and I did like some of the dungeon puzzles. The story was interesting and the music WAS awesome I must admit.

So I Liked:
1. Music
2. Play Controls
3. Story

Other than that.....meh.....

BTW, I mean no offense to you, but you really shouldn't get angry when people don't see eye to eye with you. Everyone has their opinions.

M

msimplay

Hmm Wind Waker

Well I started the game as soon as it had come out as I had always been a Zelda fan.
However I finished it half way into the Wii's cycle the reason being from my perspective everything about the game was great, the graphics the sound the music.
However there was sailing i actually stopped playing before you could warp everywhere but the sailing mechanic turned me off so much that I pretty much decided to play other games for a while which had never happened before.
However I shouldn't have because the best was yet to come in the game strange thing about the game was that it didn't follow the classic formula.
In Zelda since the Snes days there have been 3 dungeons as an introduction and then the transfer over to the rest of the game.
In the Snes it was dark world and light world in Ocarina of time it was child link and adult link but Wind Waker changed that slightly and went with a more hand held approach as they didn't seem to follow the 3 dungeons intro either.
However I'm playing Twilight Princess now and it has gotten back to the 3 dungeon + Master sword formula again.

Getting back to the point Wind Waker is a good game the only bad thing for me in the game was the sailing but maybe if I play it again it won't bug me as much.

I actually prefer Zelda to be in cell shaded as it really compliments the whole Zelda universe because from my point of view Zelda has always been cartoony rather than "realistic" ever since the Snes days all the artwork was presented in a cartoony format and who can forget the Saturday morning cartoon show.
Even the N64 game was cartoony with bright colours and almost flat shaded polygons due to the memory contraints.

I guess I'll try out Wind Waker again once I completed Twilight Princess

Mamfi1908

The New Guy
I don't see a problem with the temples or the sailing, they were both fun, and for those who didn't like the sailing could just teleport later on in the game.
Personally, I think the problem with WW ( SPOILER ) is that you have to find the 8 triforce shards by first finding 8 triforce shard charts, and then getting them translated by tingle for alot of rupees. that was something they really shoud of thought twice about putting into the game. It makes sense with the story, but they should of made it like, 4 shards instead of 8. it's just too many for an average gamer, i guess. and WW was made for younger fans, I'm sure of it.

I don't see a problem with the temples or the sailing, they were both fun, and for those who didn't like the sailing could just teleport later on in the game.
Personally, I think the problem with WW ( SPOILER ) is that you have to find the 8 triforce shards by first finding 8 triforce shard charts, and then getting them translated by tingle for alot of rupees. that was something they really shoud of thought twice about putting into the game. It makes sense with the story, but they should of made it like, 4 shards instead of 8. it's just too many for an average gamer, i guess. and WW was made for younger fans, I'm sure of it.

Well i felt 8 shards was just right.
And i loved how you had to find charts then pay 399 rupees to get them deciphered.

Maybe for an average gamer 4 would be better.
But 4 charts and 4 shards would take a lot less time to find.
I like a long game and WW sure is that.

Do not let the fact its longer than you want put you off playing and trying to complete it.
The more there is to do the better mate.
In the end Nintendo cannot keep everyone happy.

Mamfi1908

The New Guy

Do not let the fact its longer than you want put you off playing and trying to complete it.

It's not that I didn't like the game, when I first played it, it was too easy for some reason, I beat it way soon. but when i replayed it, I really had problems with the shards.

If it were to be 8 shards and charts, it should of been more variation. like, instead of getting them all by treasure hunting in the ocean, there could of been mini dungeouns, mini games, or side quests to get them.

It's not that I didn't like the game, when I first played it, it was too easy for some reason, I beat it way soon. but when i replayed it, I really had problems with the shards.

If it were to be 8 shards and charts, it should of been more variation. like, instead of getting them all by treasure hunting in the ocean, there could of been mini dungeouns, mini games, or side quests to get them.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Oh, I love TWW...

1. Story - the story was in some ways simple, but in other ways, actually quite complicated. I just thought they had really good ideas and used them well.
2. Sidequests - there was a TON of just random sailing around you could do and get stuff from it. I actually didn't mind the sailing in the game (sue me :suspicious: ) so I liked randomly sailing around to get stuff.
3. Graphics - normally, graphics don't influence my opinion of a game, but these graphics were just too stinkin awesome.
4. Characters - in MM, all the characters (or most of the main ones, and even some side) had their own backstory, a complete schedule, a full personality etc. WW did this VERY well too. Not as good as MM, but probably the second best.
5. Soundtrack - maybe the music is one of the reasons I didn't mind the sailing. WW's soundtrack is CLEARLY the best Zelda soundtrack ever, possibly the best video game soundtrack ever.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
WW is just an amazing game overall for me, with bright graphics that make you happy, creative characters full of emotion and differences, and great foes and items galore! I don't think the temples were easy, but I didn't think they were necessarily hard either. One of the things that gets me every time is seeing LINK be more wise than the player, (a.k.a. me) and move his eyes to glance at what's needed to complete a puzzle. I think it's REALLY FUN to walk around like a maniac and find what Link finds of interest. Of course, opinions matter, but I think my opinion could be right on the verge of something AWESOME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom