• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Was the Master Sword Made?

UsayEldaZay

Designed with you in mind
I think the Godesses created it and put their powers into it. That's what makes it so powerful. Then the Sages protected it in the Sacred Grove, Temple of Time, Sacred forest, or in any place of the game that is was. Can anyone pull the Master Sword out of the pedestal? Or is it only Link who can?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I think the Godesses created it and put their powers into it. That's what makes it so powerful. Then the Sages protected it in the Sacred Grove, Temple of Time, Sacred forest, or in any place of the game that is was. Can anyone pull the Master Sword out of the pedestal? Or is it only Link who can?

I think the sword decides who is worthy enough to wield it. That being said, there could be multiple people who are worthy enough to wield it at a time, but it seems that only Link can to us.

peanutjoepap

Mr. Peanut
The Answer (sort of)

Remember in Twilight Princess when Link was cursed and Zant tried to kill Midna. Right before Zelda healed her, she said ''Go to the sacred grove and find the ancient sword forged by the sages." Or it was some thing like that, I don't think that was exactly word for word, but oh well.

G

Gokou

Let's extract some in-game quotes...

"The Hero's triumph on Cataclysm's Eve
Wins three symbols of virtue.

The Master Sword he will then retrieve,
Keeping the Knight's line true."

From A Link to the Past. This is basically saying that the master sword is passed down the Hyrule knights to find its owner/hero. Also saying the three pendants are needed to get the sword. Anyone else find the same connection in other Zelda games? OoT - Three spiritual stones to get the master sword. Each stone/pendant is actual basing their power off the Goddesses, similar to the Triforce. So this hints at that the Goddesses had something to do with its origin.

"Suspecting that Ganon’s power was based on the Triforce’s magic, the people of Hyrule forged a sword resistant to magic which could repulse even powers granted by the Triforce."

From A link to the past. Nuff said.

"As the Seven Wise Men searched for a valiant person to take up the Master Sword, Ganon’s evil army swarmed from the tainted Golden Land into Hyrule and attacked the castle. The wise men and the Knights of Hyrule combined forces to wage war on this evil horde."

From A Link to the Past. Hinting that the sages (seven wise men) also had something to do withs its origin.

I may find quotes from OoT and other games later on. But simply put, its easy to figure out a "mystery" by actually paying attention to the game :P

So...it was either the people of Hyrule, the Goddesses or the Sages. And actually it was all three. The Sages were probably the "people of Hyrule" and used the power from the Gods to create the sword.

T

Twilight Mask

According to the rumours about the new zelda game for wii, that white or grayish figure could be the spirit of the master sword, maybe in that game we will find out more about it:wave:

I am guessing there may be a either a few different Master Swords like there is Link and that they were made in different ways for each Link, So far this is the best I can think of an seems a reasonable theory but is unlikely but you never know.

Also I am guessing that in the next Zelda for the Wii I am going to go along with the most accepted Idea so far being that the Child stood behind Link may either make the Master Sword or her Spirit is joined together with the Master Sword.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
I am guessing there may be a either a few different Master Swords like there is Link and that they were made in different ways for each Link, So far this is the best I can think of an seems a reasonable theory but is unlikely but you never know.
There's no reason to assume different Master Swords...all the different origin stories are congruent with each other:

aLttP:
Forged long ago by warning of the gods to repel evil ones from kidnapping the Triforce.

OoT:
Forged long ago as the final key to the Sacred Realm which houses the Triforce, evil ones may never touch it. (Thus, repeling evil from kidnapping the Triforce)

WW:
Filled with the power of the gods in ancient times (the gods were the ones who ordered it to be made according to aLttP), kept empowered by the prayers of the Sages.

TP:
Crafted by the "wisdom of the Sages"

So put it all together and you roughly come up with:

In ancient times the goddesses warned the Sages to forge the Master Sword. It was filled with the power of the power of the goddesses, so that evil ones may never touch it, and used as the final key to the Sacred Realm, repelling evil ones from acquiring the Triforce. The continued prayers of the Sages keep it empowered, allowing it to repel evil.

zzRICHzz

own & finished all Zeldas
so it looks like what the core Zelda games all have in common is the Mastersword... and this new Wii Zelda obviously has something to do with the fact that this new Link doesn't have a sword. do you guys think that they will finally atttempt to tie the games together with the origins of the sword?

but at the same time there is the Foursword. do you think the Foursword will have anything to do with this next game????

J

Jericho

I think you have to take all of the zeldas into thought here, i mean in links awakening when you get the master sword in the forest, it's completley dull, if i remember correctly, you have to put power into it right? and to do that you need those magical items you get after the boss thing or something, ain't played it in ages, anyway

Sorry guys lost my story there cause i ain't played the old zeldas in ages, but my point is, that the sword itself, is nothing, it could be a stick for all we know, it's the power of objects or sages which are giving the master sword it's power, so i think i will stick with some of your theories as in that some blacksmith crafted the sword, and the sages/Din,Farore,Nayru/Magic Items power the sword. Anyways that's my 2 cents :P

so it looks like what the core Zelda games all have in common is the Mastersword... and this new Wii Zelda obviously has something to do with the fact that this new Link doesn't have a sword. do you guys think that they will finally atttempt to tie the games together with the origins of the sword?

I doubt that its going to tie any major questions together. It could possible take place during the SW or something. I think they are just exploring territory that has yet to be controversial among fans, while giving them something else to add to the games.

but at the same time there is the Foursword. do you think the Foursword will have anything to do with this next game????[/QUOTE]

The Four Sword Saga was good and all, but as far as I'm concerned I really don't want anything else to do with it. There is a lot of question about the Four Sword game's placement in the timeline though, so I guess another game to help answer some questions would be good. But I would keep it on the DS. I don't see a major console Four Sword title working out too well. But you never know. With all the talk of "difference" in the next title, it wouldn't be far fetched to assume that Nintendo would try to work some kind of multiplayer optional title.

I think you have to take all of the zeldas into thought here, i mean in links awakening when you get the master sword in the forest, it's completley dull, if i remember correctly, you have to put power into it right? and to do that you need those magical items you get after the boss thing or something, ain't played it in ages, anyway

I believe your talking about A Link to the Past. Link's Awakening was the one on Gameboy, and the Master Sword didn't make an appearance in that game. The Master Sword in A Link to the Past isn't necessarily dull either, but it could sure use a tune-up. You upgrade the sword throughout the game, and yes, there are a couple of blacksmiths who reforge the sword for you.

T

Tatlfaerie

I've heard a theory that there is a race that created the master sword and designed it after themselves. This is based off a picture for the new zelda wii game. I think it was this picture. :)

200px-Zelda2010Teaser.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Right now I can't think of any things about the creation about the master sword that has been said in previous games. I think that the new Wii Zelda definitely has something to do with the creation of the sword. I'm all for the theory that it was infused with a spirit and that the person on the image for the new Zelda is that spirit.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I think it was forged out of ultra sacred metal by ancient sages (looooooooooong before oot) and the wind and earth sages went to their respected temples as pointed out by windwaker (or at least that last part). but in order to truly put the evil repelling powers in the master sword they needed the spirit of a pure hearted individual to truly give the master sword the awsome powers that it contains and that soul was the first in the loooooooooooooooooong line of nights that all the links are from. so naturally only the cream of the crop so to speak of these nights may wield the master sword.

startimer

Resident Cartographer
Well, i'm surprised no one has mentioned OoX yet. In OoA, if you tell king zora a secrethe'll reforge your noble/white sword into the master sword.

but most people dismiss this tidbit, seeing as it contradicts the theory of the sages forging it (unless king zora was a sage) and OoX is near the end of the timeline, or at least after all the other games with the MS in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom