• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How was 2018 for Gaming Overall?

With the current year almost over, I thought it'd be fun to look back at gaming in 2018 as a whole.

While it was a slow year for Ninty with a reliance on Wii U ports and smaller games until Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Smash Ultimate, it was a pretty good year for gaming overall. I don't think it was quite as strong as 2017, but still solid.

In terms of big AAA games, God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 definitely stole the show. While I have yet to play the latter, I did enjoy God of War, but not as much as someone people.

The indie scene had a few standouts too. Celeste is an amazing game that's my indie highlight of the year. Gris looks like an amazing visual experience that I am looking forward to checking out as well.

I have to give a quick shout-out to the 3DS for Detective Pikachu and WarioWare Gold. While nothing groundbreaking, I had fun with both.

While I didn't lose my mind over any games except for Smash this year, it was still a fun time.

So what did you think of 2018 for gaming?

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Lets Go Eevee, Drawful 2, Jackbox Party 5, Smash Bros Ultimate, Diablo 3, Fortnite, and Okami are the only games that came out this year I have gotten so far. (I am hoping to get Bayanetta 1 & 2 and Go Vacation soon as well as Krash, Spyro and A Hat in Time some time next year)

Lets Go Eevee has been a fun way to explore Kanto with the baby form of my favorite Pokemon (Espeon you deserve to be in this game too).

Drawful 2 is fun cuz you get 2 colors to draw with.

I haven't been able to get my friends over to play Jackbox 5 yet. :(

Smash Bros is fun and I love the massive roster. I have been teaching my friends kids how to play.

I am sooooooo happy Diablo 3 came out on Switch I have loved playing it at my friend's house on her PS4 and now I can play it on the go. :)

Fortnite - Fun for short bursts but not my thing long term.

Okami - I think the opening cut scene is a little too long but the game play itself is fun.

Only reason I didn't buy too many games this year is I came to the sad realization that I have sooo many games on my shelf (well boxes now cuz I have to move) that have not been finished. Also I haven't had that many hours at work either.

2017 was something special for both Sony and Nintendo but in 2018 only Sony really kept the momentum.

Unfortunately for me most of Sony's output were things i disliked such as God of War or had no interest in like Spider-man and Red Dead 2.

I ended up playing way more indie games and ports across both the Switch and PS4 in 2018 so 2018 itself likely wont be a year I remember fondly for new releases.

It was still fine though. The games i chose to play were games I enjoyed. But 2017 was always gonna be a hard act to follow.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think I only played two 2018 games and they were Monster Hunter World for PC and Soul Calibur 6 for PC. Both were very good games. But I don't feel I have played enough games to judge the whole year overall.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Oh boy oh boy. what a year.

I got Stardew Valley this year. I thought it was fun and had a lot of potential but as with many games of it's kind, I quickly got bored with no real storyline to follow. call me a bad gamer. whatever :P I really liked the music and graphics though.

I also picked up a few other indie games this year.

Hollow Knight I actually picked up before it was :cool: proud to say. although I haven't dedicated a ton of time to this game, it has amazing gameplay, stellar music, memorable characters, beautiful graphics, and most impressive of all, the atmosphere of this game is spooky but really cool.you can tell that there is so much lore in this game. it also offered me quite a challenge so far with the bosses.

I picked up Dead Cells for my brother for Christmas and have been watching him play a bit. it looks super cool. I always love the graphics in games like these, the array of cool and exciting weapons and gear you can come across looks epic too. once he is done with it I may have to try it out myself.

Of course, Smash Ultimate has been a big one this year. great game, sub par story mode. overall, love it!

the final game I played this year was Destiny 2. I just finished the story mode the other day. honestly, when it came out, I heard it was really bad so I had steered clear of it. but when Blizzard was giving it away for free a few months ago, I thought, why not? I'm really glad I did because I love the game. the story, graphics and music are great. plus it gave me a chance to play with my dad which I don't get to do very often (he doesn't play video games much these days) so it was a fun bonding experience.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I played literally one (1) video game that was released in 2018 this year. Last year. Whatever. Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

Seriously, that is the only game released in the entirety of 2018 that I actually played. There are a couple of other games from 2018 that I might play at some stage, but I haven't played them despite having the opportunity to do so, those being Two-Point Hospital and Hitman™2.

If the question is what do I think of 2018 for gaming then I'd say it was a complete write-off. Apart from a remake of a twenty year old game there was absolutely nothing interesting released, or even announced. There are only two games in the future I have any interest in and they were both announced before 2018 and haven't released in it. EA/Dice's response to fan backlash was a complete embarrassment, and Bethesda further demonstrated just how much contempt they have for their audience (which I'm sure won't stop the idiots they directly ripped off from showering them with praise and money in the future), both of which left a very nasty taste in my mouth. I can't think of a single thing from this year that I thought was interesting, exciting, or even just amusing.

If the history of video games were a movie then 2018 could be left on the cutting room floor.

Quin

Disaster Master
Sony was strong, Spider-man, red dead and GoW are pretty good games.
Nintendo was pretty terrible. Only really bringing smash, with the rest being ports or low effort cashgrabs.
Can't hate it too much though, two of my favorite series, smash and MH, both got their series best this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom