• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword How Useful Did You Find the Skyward Strike to Be During Combat?

Simple thread, did you use the skyward strike at all during combat and if you did did it make things easier or harder?

I personally only used it when the game forced me to such as hitting the crests and fighting Tentalus, though in the end i just gave up using it.

How about you guys? was it a pain or a pleasure?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I personally only used it when the game forced me to such as hitting the crests and fighting Tentalus

I didn't even use it then. The only thing I used the Skyward Strike for was the crests and Goddess Cubes and when you have to use it against Demise. Other than that, I found it useless. It didn't do enough damage or have enough range to justify its charge time. You couldn't use it in the heat of battle without retreating first (or running in little circles to avoid Bokoblins or whatever) and so I wrote it off as a combat technique. The idea of sword beams suits the 2D games much much more than it does the 3D ones and I think the Skyward Strike really demonstrates how the idea just doesn't translate well between the two.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I generally liked the idea of the Skyward Strike...It was a shame it wasn't very effective In combat!

However apart from using it on the Goddess cubes and specific enemies I did actually use it one some enemies when I couldn't be bothered to fully engage in combat. I just wish Nintendo would have given some more upgrades for the Skyward Strike asnit could have given the Master Sword a new element of attack, for example fire, ice, thunder variations of the original strike as well as multiple strikes at once if charged Ect.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Strike was only regularly useful when sniping from afar; otherwise it took too long to charge and was a detriment to battle. Way to go, Nintendo, for bringing back "sword beams"! Oh wait, they DON'T FUNCTION THE SAME! :mad: lol

It shone in the Horde battle, though. You won't find a pro doing anything other than SStriking in Horde! xD

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Actually, I use it all the time in direct combat. You can actually get some interesting hits in or look cool. (I love pitting my skyward strike against Ghirahim's) Once your Master Sword is fully powered, killing enemies becomes that much easier and the skyward strike is almost instant. I don't think I actually started using it for combat until my Hero's Mode run through, but I've been since and I must say that it's pretty handy. As proven since LoZ started, having a beam come out of your sword really helps.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Loads of times. SS enemies have little to no defense when you're out of range. This is particularly useful for Technokoblins, they have no defense for it, it knocks them down, and you can use an ending blow.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
During the first play-through, not a whole lot. Unless I was just messing around, I tended to use my other skills more often. During Hero Mode and now on my low-health challenge: quite a bit. It's so useful having a ranged attack that doesn't use any ammo.

I didn't even use it then. The only thing I used the Skyward Strike for was the crests and Goddess Cubes and when you have to use it against Demise.

Wrong. The Skyward Strike was not required to beat Demise; I'm living proof of that, I've beaten him on regular and Hero Mode now without once using it. It's just that he's so incredibly hard without it that most sane people tend to default back to the easier option.

Aerauro67

That God of Yellow Foxes
Skyward Strike was a bit tricky to understand how to use properly for me. Other than that, the other combat stuff was very well simple to me.

I never used the Skywward Strike in combat until the final battle...

Wow. It definitely was handy fighting the Bokoblin Horde and required with Demise. While it's a shame the technique wasn't better implemented, I felt the final phase of the Demise fight justified SS's namesake.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
required with Demise.

Required? Nah. It's USEFUL! But not required whatsoever! If you're handy with shield bashing, you can rush this fool no problem!
[video=youtube;CspeeOyRh9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CspeeOyRh9o[/video]

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Yeah, the Skyward Strike is a very helpful exponent in combat. I'd utilize it if I didn't feel like looking for an opening in the enemy defenses. Just have to charge the Strike up and avoid getting hit, then unleash it on my harassers. Thankfully, if timed right, the revolving beam will sometimes repel several foes at once, so it is also useful in a group match-off. The only thing about it that irked me is its inefficiency against enemies with shields, such as the spry Lizalfos; but that's more of a personal gripe. Other than that, I think that it's awesome to have something akin to the Energy Beam integrated back into the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom