• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Trusting of Others Are You?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Need to get some activity going, so here's another thread ;)

Trust is a strong word in my opinion, but sometimes we can just toss out trust too easily, maybe some of us are naive or just feel the need in doing so. I know I've given trust to a lot of people, sometimes it has been returned or completely thrown back in my face. Needless to say, as I've got older I've been more skeptical on who to trust, maybe I'm too reluctant due to past events, maybe too closed to some people, but when you have made such mistakes it's hard not to be reluctant.

So how willing are you to trust people? What does it take for someone to earn your trust and, typically, how long does it take one to earn it?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I trust people until I'm given a reason not to. I don't think it's fair to start off thinking the worst of people just because of what others may have done.

The area I struggle most to have any trust in is giving my emotions or true feelings about things. I think that's why I tend to be single for long periods of time, for example; I find it really difficult to trust that the other person won't freak out about things I say, or feel like I'm going to get laughed at. It's not that I don't want to, it's more I feel a fool for saying anything like that. That's why I come across as a cold fish, or that's what my ex boyfriend told me lol.

But seriously, I am quite a trusting person. Most people are good people. If someone breaks my trust, that's different, but until they do I try not to be too judgmental or sceptical. I can't hold the past against people in the present.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't trust anyone because even my own little brother is a tightwad little prick. :/

Big Octo

=^)
I guess it depends on the person. First impressions are always a key thing. If someone strikes me as a figure that can keep everything confidential, I can come to trust them quickly. If they're a loud mouth, I might pass. Of course, it's never that easy to tell, and nobody I've known perfectly fits either trope. In either case, though, the trust develops over time. If I know somebody can be at a certain place at a certain time, they're my first choice. If they end up doung the ol' backstab, then the trust is gone. Maybe they can work it back, but it won't be easy. Thankfully, this rarely happens to me, and I'm appreciative of this fact.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Not sure if this is off topic, but I misread the title and I thought it said "How trusting of you are others?" which would be an interesting venture. Do you feel people trust you a lot, if so why? If not why? :O

Nicole

luke is my wife
I once read in a Cracked article that intelligent people are more likely to lie to people yet are also more likely to naively put too much trust in people. I like to consider myself intelligent and I think I do a lot of both of those things.

I'm trusting to a fault. I will put my full trust in anyone until they give me a reason not to. Even then, I think it would be pretty easy to win back my trust a second time. After the second time, I can honestly say I'd never trust them fully again.

It doesn't take much to earn my trust. Little things, like confiding in me or being supportive of my wants and needs help. Basically, acting like a good friend. Someone who does things like confide in me shows that they trust me. That's probably the key in getting me to trust someone else. If they trust me, I'm very likely to trust them back because I greatly appreciate being trusted. I would have to say that my absolute trust would take probably three or so months of continuous contact to earn.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm not very quick to trust people at all, but, I'm quite open to giving people a chance really, and grow to trust them. Sometimes it's been a bit of a problem, if my friend tells me a story about how someone's quite nasty or something like that but I'll always give them a chance and it's reared up to bite me in the arse quite a lot, especially with relationships. But, I'd rather be fair and give people a fair shot than never doing as such, I don't really have any intention of changing regardless of the **** which often occurs.

Treat others like you'd like to be treated, afterall. :)

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i am very distrustful of people until i am given enough time or reason to trust people, but i am always considerate enough to give them a chance.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't trust many people. It takes a lot to get me to trust a person, and I mean a lot. There are only 4 or 5 people in this world that I actually trust. It takes a while for people to earn my trust. I really depends on the person. It could take a year, but it could take a few months.

I used to be very trusting. I've been stabbed in the back to many times though. It turned me into the very depressed person that I used to be. I felt worthless, and I felt that I was only put on this Earth to be used by people. I felt like there was no reason for me to get out of bed. I have been getting out of this depression recently, but I am more cautious about who I trust now. I hate how some people will abuse your trust and I don't want it to happen again.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
In all honesty, I never fully trust anyone anymore. It's hard to gain my trust as it is, but it's damn near impossible to gain my full trust. Hell, I don't even fully trust any of my family members, let alone any of my friends. It's not necessarily they're fault that I don't have any trust in them, it's primarily because I'm very paranoid. I've tried trusting others before, and it's never ended well for me. Now, I'm much more cautious about who I trust. Don't get me wrong, I can trust people, but typically I don't. It's just for my own safety, really.

Online, it's a bit of a different story. In real life, my guard is up 24/7, but online I let my guard down a little bit. I'm much more open with a lot of people, and trust others more easily. I don't know why that is, especially since I've been backstabbed online more frequently than I ever have been in real life, but some mysteries just go unsolved, I guess.

After being back stabbed (and ways even blackmailed by giving away my deep dark secrets) by my close friends and even my own cousins and relatives, it's hard to trust anyone anymore. I can trust my immediate family but even then it's really hard to tell them everything from my personal life without them judging me and probably even viewing me in a different way.

As for friends, they have to work their butt off to gain my trust. And even once I'm really close with them, I just don't entrust them with everything. They even ask me why I never entrust them with anything while they pour their heart and soul out on me. It's just something I don't like doing anymore. People abused it. Now it's hard to fix what's been heavily broken. I do have a few friends that I entrust them with my life 100%, but they have been in my life for so long and have no done anything to jeopardize our friendship or my personal feelings and well being. In the end, trust is the most important thing for me in a close relationship of any kind, but its also the hardest to achieve and maintain. Break it, and you'll never win back my trust.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
i don't trust people untill they prove to me that they deserve it. how can they prove it? i don't know lol. I have to know this person to the point that i can feel it in my gut with out a doubt that i can trust them.
so when i know they will know lol.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Here's a harsh truth. You shouldn't trust anyone, if you do, you're just fooling yourself. We're just forced to trust people, we can't really help it. We live life everyday trusting that somebody isn't going to hurt or kill us. It's a risk we all have to take. Otherwise, you should only rely on yourself. Trusting others is a leap of faith, a 50/50 chance of them pulling through for you.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I am always cautious. Especially online were most of the time people don't seem to be what they are. At least that is my experience. I talk and try to be nice but I don't give my trust to someone until I'm absolutely sure I can trust them. Too often people you think you can trust after talking to them for a long time don't seem to be worth it

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I give people the benefit of the doubt and trust em until they give me a reason to not. I don't fully trust em right off the bat, but if things go well, it usually won't take long for me to trust em strongly.

I think that if people would trust each other more easily and were more open with each other then things would be a lot nicer around... everywhere lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom