• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How to Translate Hylian Writing?

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Is it possible to translate the writing? If so, how? Has it been done before?
It's been done many a time. Google is a useful tool if you don't know where to begin searching. In any case, they did it different ways- most of the time, the Hylian writing is actually Japanese, just using made-up characters in place of their kana. In Twilight Princess, it was backwards English using more made-up characters.

There is a lot more detail, of course, but you can read about that [HERE] and [HERE]

What kind of Hylian?

I know Hylian myself, not the language, but symbols. Unless I read text from games.

just give it a bing search and you should get results. It always varies on what kind of hylian you want to learn. There are two main ones, Ancient Hylian (from OoT and MM), and TP Hylian. (Twilight Princess, obviously.)

All the Hylian texts have been translated from every game that they have been in. We actually had a pretty extensive thread on here in this very section that was full of translations from the various games. But, it was one that went with many other threads during the hacking about a month back.

It would be good if anyone wanted to make another one as well. Just make sure you have all your info right. The last was was really good. It'll likely end up being stickied like the last one was.

Steve

5/19/13
Well, regarding the text that appears on the pedestal of time in Twilight Princess, the Hylian language in TP is actually based off English, rather than Japanese. In most case you can tell what it says just by looking at it. However, there are font sheets that will match the Hylian symbol with the correct English letter.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, regarding the text that appears on the pedestal of time in Twilight Princess, the Hylian language in TP is actually based off English, rather than Japanese. In most case you can tell what it says just by looking at it. However, there are font sheets that will match the Hylian symbol with the correct English letter.

Then would you care to translate it cuz I don't know how.

Vash03

Needz Moar.... Zelda, NAO
God Speed, and Good Luck Steve.

I feel really stupid now since I didn't even notice that my native tounge was the base for the language in TP, what is the base in WW?

Steve

5/19/13
God Speed, and Good Luck Steve.

I feel really stupid now since I didn't even notice that my native tounge was the base for the language in TP, what is the base in WW?

Japanese, just like in Ocarina of Time. Anyway, I made it to the pedestal, but there doesn't seem to be any Hylian text, just some decorative markings. Wait, there is text in the past temple of time.

EDIT: Okay, it says "Master Sword" twice, just larger on the second line.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Japanese, just like in Ocarina of Time. Anyway, I made it to the pedestal, but there doesn't seem to be any Hylian text, just some decorative markings. Wait, there is text in the past temple of time.

EDIT: Okay, it says "Master Sword" twice, just larger on the second line.

Okay that defenitly wasn't what I expected to be on the pot. I thought it would be something related to the timeline.

Steve

5/19/13
I found something interesting. Outside of the Pedestal room, four lines are repeated in this order:

"STONE STATUE
SANCTUARY
MASTER SWORD
COPYROD"

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I found something interesting. Outside of the Pedestal room, four lines are repeated in this order:

"STONE STATUE
SANCTUARY
MASTER SWORD
COPYROD"

STONE STATUE is probably meant to be a hint for the tot or something for those who know how to translate the hylian text.

SACTUARY hmmm... what could this mean? Possibly it refers to the tot? I'm not sure.

MASTER SWORD is obvious: it's outside the master sword area and thus it's meant to mark that the Master Sword is nearby.

COPYROD it's the japanese name for Dominion Rod and is possibly a hint that you need to use it to get to the city in the sky.

Okay I just now realized this was wrong. It probably means this:

STONE STATUE is the key to the SANCTUARY in which the MASTER SWORD is held which eventually leads to the COPYROD (Dominion Rod).

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Aww MAN I can't believe the hylian translation thread got lost >C dammit.
But yes, I know/have translated most of the TP hylian text, so I could help in that respect... don't know much japanese though, but I have a WW hylian translation chart somewhere. If I have some spare time I might look into that one.

Anyway, as said, yeah it's possible, TP hylian is best if you want to start~
Yeah, pedestal says MASTER SWORD MASTER SWORD
And yeah, those 4 repeated words around the Door of Time... umm..

Oh yeah, some of the translations are slightly wrong, like the sign outside Kakariko Malo mart actually says "Maro Mart", and the Goron Mines text on the Map says "Golon Mines". rofl the l and r strikes again.

All the square signboards (like the one outside Lanayru spirng) translate as "Signboard of Hyrule", which I though was pretty funny. But the symbols encircling the Mirror of Twilight are something like "qnpg", just 4 random letters repeated. Not sure what's that's about but.

At one time I was trying to translate that text above the Lakebed temple enterance, but I couldn't get a clear view of it :c
Anyway, next time I get some free time I'll have to see what I can do to help. Dammit hackers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom