• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How to surpass OoT

A while ago I ws thinking about why OoT is still the best game (that's the average opinion)
and why no Zelda after it (except for MM<3)
has surpassed it.

Something I realized, was that
OoT in it's time was like GTA SA and maybe like Skyrim when those titles came out.

OoT was this unexpectedly big, open world with lots of epic stuff.

Later, when games like TP and SS came out, they didn't make something that was as massive in comparison with other games released around those times.

I honestly think that Nintendo's only way to truly conquer OoT, would be to make a Zelda game at the same scale as GTA V to be produce the same amount of jaw dropping as back in the day... Which might be unrealistic to expect.

I do think Wind Waker actually did a good job conveying that "endlessly big world" feeling, which I didn't get from SS or TP.

They seem to be taking that direction with the new Zelda game it seems to a certain degree with the "big open world" thing.

Do you think Nintendo has struggled with keeping up with the standards of modern games in terms of scale of world maps?

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
That's exactly what this new game is, haven't you heard?

But i'm gonna have to disagree with your opinion. Sorry it just kinda bugs me the way you stated that as fact, I don't think it's a matter of fact at all. Personally I think SS is one of the greatest games of all time.

actually The Legend of Zelda was the first in the series to engineer big open world with tons of secrets, I love Ocarina but it felt a little...less open and a little more empty to me in terms of secrets but that's ok.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I sort of disagree with you, while Ocarina of Time was great for its time, I believe that many Zelda games have surpassed it in quality. For me, TP surpassed OoT in almost every way possible, but I would probably enjoy a massive Zelda game more.

Ocarina of Time may not be unanimously considered the best Zelda game, but it's not only the most influential Zelda game, but the most influential game of all time. This is why it's always in discussions of the best games of all time despite its simplicity compared to many modern games.

Reactions: Dio
The open world aspect is a pretty fun one, and it's nice being able to deviate from the plot a bit for side quests and stuff. However, I feel like it's necessary to have something of a limit on the world as they've been doing instead of making the biggest environment possible.

One of the appeals to the open world games like GTA is that it can go on forever, there is a neverending amount of folks to rob or kill, cars to steal, ect. There might be an endgame goal but it's not really discussed as much, whereas in LoZ it's usually "defeat this threat to save the good/innocent"[from what I've seen at least, I'm not the most knowledgeable]. I think that if Zelder games were to have that massive detailed map it would boil down to a lot of running/horse riding, less memorable NPCs, and graphics that'll be considered weak in about 10 years. Kind of how OoT is viewed by most not-so-nostalgic fans nowadays.
It could be cool though, if they spent a lot of time working on it.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
If you asked me 4 or 5 years ago, I would've said OOT was the best Zelda game. Years ago, I didn't want to play most of the other Zelda games because I was stuck in my realistic 3D Zelda tunnel vision. I still think OOT is an amazing game, but since I started beating most other Zelda games, I realized that every Zelda has it's own unique charm to it.

There are lots of open-minded people who have OOT as their #1 Zelda game, but a general pattern I see is people who haven't even beat half of the other Zelda games putting OOT at definitive #1 and saying it can't be topped.

If people want to say "OOT is the best Zelda game I've played thus far", that's fine, but to say it can't be surpassed when they didn't give the others a fair chance? That's just biased.

jugglaj91

I am me....
How to surpass OoT? Take off the nostalgia glasses. Same with FF7. It was the first big leap into something new and it influenced man games and still does. That being said it doesn't mean it hasn't been surpassed, just people tend to stick to it for the nostalgia it gives them. Until a few hours in anyway and they go why am I playing this for the umpteenth time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom