• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How to Pronounce Fi

How do you pronounce Fi?

• Fee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fie

• Fay

• Other

• Total voters
Personally, I have always prefered to pronounce it as "Fee", rather than "Fie", which is how most commonly english speakers pronounce it. I don't know how japanese pronounce her name, but its rather interesting to look at where her name derives. It also makes me wonder, why do Nintendo name her this way? Has Fi's name a meaning related to her character? It would be interesting to search for it.

But as far as it goes I prefer "Fee", it sounds both simple and elegant; and I think it suits her.

I like saying it like fee. I have known her as fee since the first day I saw her name. When they changed Phi to Fi I was a bit worried I would have to pronounce it differently, but I decided not to worry myself and to just stick with saying it like Fee. It does sound a bit nicer than fie anyway.

The good thing is that because we have never listened her name pronounced in game, pronounciation ends up been of the liking of each person.

"Fie" is how I've been pronouncing it, personally. It's what I thought when I first saw her name, so I've stuck with it. Really though I feel like both "Fie" and "Fee" are correct with the name being seemingly based off of the Greek letter "Phi" (at the least, they had it in mind with her name, surely) and I believe some people have pointed out that "Fee" is the Greek pronunciation of that, while "Fie" is an accepted westernized pronunciation - not that I know much on the subject, so I could be wrong. Still, "Fie" is how I've always said it, and I think it fits more with her kind of robotic elements - "Fie" is somehow harsher sounding than "Fee", is why I think that. However, my sister pronounces it "Fee", so I'm used to hearing it both of those ways. I'm not entirely sure how you could get "Fay" or something else out of that, though. :P

But really it doesn't matter how you pronounce it. She's still Fi. :>

I always figured it was "Fie".
Although it's probably "Fee" judging how it's spelled,
but I just like the sound of "Fie" way more.

I love that Zelda games leave things like this up to the individual gamer. It's such a stark contrast to standard modern gaming, where everything is cinematic and spelled out for you. I hope these games stay mute, because it's awesome to see somebody doing something different.

I voted for "Fie". I'm not sure why I said it like that.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
According to the IGN pronunciation guide, I believe it's pronounced like "eye" with an F at the beginning. Like "Fie," I guess. I think that sounds kinda stupid, so I pronounce it like "Fee," which is how it's spelled.

I pronounced both ways while playing the gaming and explaining parts to people but now that i think about if Fie just seems more logical, even tho i voted fee

I pronounce it as Fie, because it seems like it would rhyme with 'pi', hinting at the intelligence and artificial science in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom