• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help How to Play Zelda Games?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well my advice don't go into it hoping your going to be super great at the game, take things slow, don't get discouraged if you do miss things. If you beat the main quest before beating all the sidequests you can always go back aftetwards to try and complete them. Honestly if your just playing your first zelda game your probably not going to 100% it. Just try beating the main quest for starters, then try moving onto another game. Eventually the more you play the games the better you will get at them. Once you feel you've gotten good go back and maybe retry some games that you used to have trouble with, you'll be suprised at how you've improved once you've caught on to the feel of the games. Most importantly just have fun.

Zizzy said:
I'm about to start a playthrough of the series (I've only fully completed 2 or 3 LoZ games..), just wondering if there's a "best" order to play through. Order of Hyrule Historia timeline? Order of release? Doesn't matter at all?

It honestly doesn't matter at all for a vast majority of the games. For the 2D titles, there's rarely an instance where you need to have played a game before another in order to appreciate it fully in my opinion. You're not missing much by playing Link's Awakening before A Link to the Past, or the Oracle games before the original LoZ. The plot details very rarely cross over, and if they do, it's hardly in a way that satisfyingly relates them from one game to another.

The 3D titles are a LITTLE different, but not by much. You could very well play Twilight Princess before Ocarina of Time, and there would be maybe one or two things that you don't get fully, plot wise. However, since all the 3D games are pretty good in their own right, I would actually recommend order of release for those, if you have access to them all. Ocarina of Time is pretty much the catalyst for every other 3D game besides Skyward Sword, and even then, Skyward Sword greatly builds off of Ocarina of Time for what it's trying to set up.

I suggest you at least play Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess in that order, as I think those three build off of each other the most (my love for TP is much in part due to my nostalgia of OoT, because they relate to each other so well). You could fit Skyward Sword and Wind Waker in wherever you like, although playing OoT before WW makes WW a bit more bearable.

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post my question here.

I'm about to start a playthrough of the series (I've only fully completed 2 or 3 LoZ games..), just wondering if there's a "best" order to play through. Order of Hyrule Historia timeline? Order of release? Doesn't matter at all?
Meh. I'd personally say it doesn't matter, but the ideas you've suggested are things I've never thought of; they're pretty sweet. But yeah, most of the games are only loosely connected and neither of them is reliant upon the other. As such, you can play them in whichever way is convenient to you.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post my question here.

The choice is ultimately up to you but I recommend A Link to the Past and then Ocarina of Time simply because those are the basic building blocks of modern day Zelda games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom